Writing resumes (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
Are academic achievements such as distinctinos and credits in School maths/sci competitions necessary when applying for jobs such as Dicksmith, Myer etc. ? cause it takes up a whole page for me leaving me with a 4 page resume which i think is too much

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
A four page resume is far too big for that type of job. Limit it to a maximum of 2 pages.

The achievements are only notable if you have no other experience in anything job related. And even then, there's probably better stuff you can list. And you certainly don't need to list every one you've ever achieved.

teabag

do it
HSC
draw a line somewhere
participations definitely not necessary.
perhaps just put in distinctions?

or even maths comp distinction (2007,2008,2010) or something?

i honestly think there is a certain point where employers don't care

Gigacube

HSC
If you are going to put achievements in your resume, limit it to the past 2-3 years.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The reality is whether you got a HD in Mathematics or a Credit in Science means jack all to a retail job (unless it's in a specific field- e.g. Computing might do well if you are applying for a job at Dick Smith).

Try to keep it relevant and don't be afraid to be honest that the reason you're applying for a particular job is to get experience and that it's relevant to your life in some way (e.g. you want to be involved in technology or you have a personal interest in technology).

If you're having trouble trying to figure out how to make it relevant/useful- I'd say keep it timely (last 3 years), include experiences/achievements/involvement which would be helpful in teaching you skills you'd need on the job (e.g. if you did charity doorknocking or something- that's a great way to show you can talk to strangers and put them at ease; also says you're a good person), etc... you'll also want to show you're responsible and able to be trusted so show any other work exp or commitments you've had (even regular sports training would be good as it shows discipline- as well as teamwork).

willzinho

HSC
Lots of good points above regarding your academics. It really means nothing to the hiring manager. Think of it from the manager's viewpoint, what qualities would you look for if you were hiring?

I'd take experiences from school, sports and whatever else you are involved in and spin them to make them relevant to the job.

Outline things like:

1) you are a great people person, who is a good listener and able to quickly build rapport with people (get people to like you quickly)
2) you're a team player and quick learner and always willing to take on new tasks
3) you're not afraid of hard work, and would be willing to go the extra mile for your customers/ the business

Also - if you haven't worked in a "proper" job before - don't be afraid to list it on your cover letter. State that you haven't but you are willing to learn and work hard to give back to the business, whether that means scrubbing floors or toilets etc. Managers like to see that kind of stuff. Of course, you have the kind of person who would actually go through with what they say - otherwise s*** going to get real very quickly haha

Good luck in any case!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)