WTF Happened? (1 Viewer)

NFmusic1995

HSC
Hey guys

i know alot of people that got 98/ low 99s and got into com/law at UNSW Or Usyd when the cutoff is 99.7 , why is this , i thought bonus points weren't allowed (they didn't have duke of ed or EAS or anything)

I got 93 ATAR and i was curious if i would of gotten into Usyd Commerce (cutoff of 95).

I got my atar, was disappointed, and removed that as my first preference as the cutoff is 95 and i am way off, and put UNSW commerce as first pref.

JUst curious, if i left it as my first pref, would i of gotten in?

thanks.

Hombad

HSC
Hey guys

i know alot of people that got 98/ low 99s and got into com/law at UNSW Or Usyd when the cutoff is 99.7 , why is this , i thought bonus points weren't allowed (they didn't have duke of ed or EAS or anything)

I got 93 ATAR and i was curious if i would of gotten into Usyd Commerce (cutoff of 95).

I got my atar, was disappointed, and removed that as my first preference as the cutoff is 95 and i am way off, and put UNSW commerce as first pref.

thanks.
From what I understand, UNSW does take bonus points for Law (whereas USYD doesn't).

NFmusic1995

HSC
My friend got 98.2 and i searched his name and hes doing combined law at USYD.

how is this possible/

would i have gotten into commerce with93

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys

thanks.
Fairly silly decision on your part.

NFmusic1995

HSC
I dont know, i thought if you had something as your first pref you have more of a chance, and that was with UNSW cause of the 5 bonus points.

Anyways its too late, i am in UNSW, but i am curious if i would of gotten into USYD?

what bonus points do they offer and how do people lower than cutoff getin?

would i of gotten into USYD

NFmusic1995

HSC
How do i see people getting 98-low 99 atars getting into com/law which is 99.7 with no bonus points???

bangladesh

HSC
lol. they must have SOME sort of bonus point/ scholarship SPECIALLY for unsw. usyd is much tighter on giving out bonus points. you probs think they didn't have any bonus points and they did.

Hanakalala

HSC
My friend got 85 and she got into USYD for Commerce. Don't know how. On the other hand, I got 84 and got into Law at UTS (through PRS).. I'm not sure if she applied through a program or for bonus points..

D94

HSC
N/A
I dont know, i thought if you had something as your first pref you have more of a chance, and that was with UNSW cause of the 5 bonus points.

Anyways its too late, i am in UNSW, but i am curious if i would of gotten into USYD?

what bonus points do they offer and how do people lower than cutoff getin?

would i of gotten into USYD
Everyone is on equal footing. A course as someone's 9th preference has the same weighting as someone who has it as their first preference. UAC simply goes through someone's list and sees whether they are within the top x numbers of spots available, then gives them the offer; if not, they move to their next preference and so on.

The UNSW bonus points (hsc plus) is for academic achievement. You aren't just given 5 bonus points - you need like Band 5 or 6 in relevant subjects.

Here's the UNSW HSC plus bonus points database: http://iaro.online.unsw.edu.au/pls/non/hsc_bonus_points.main

USYD has a different system - it does not offer bonus points for Commerce. But regardless, it should have been your first preference since that was your desired preference.

D94

HSC
N/A
How do i see people getting 98-low 99 atars getting into com/law which is 99.7 with no bonus points???
There's AAA, EAS and EAP for Law.

HSC Plus bonus points is not available.

NFmusic1995

HSC
I see, so if i put down USYD Com with 93, and i didnt have EAS or any sports elite things, and since they didnt have HSC plus, i wouldnt of gotten in correct?

or was there a chance i would of gotten in

kinda kicking myself i didnt put myself as first pref

pHyRe

HSC
nah dont think you would have unless im missing something (which i could be, since i just found out that if i'd completed my duke of ed gold i coulda gotten 2 points for UNSW, not that i wanted to do it or would have gotten in even with 2 points lol)

NFmusic1995

HSC
OK good, i didnt want to be kicking my self, COMM at unsw is just as good though, id prefer Usyd though, i changed it and ill see what will happen in the later rounds

dunno how people with 98 are doing com/law

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
FYI comm is better at UNSW. Don't let the fact that USYD doesn't offer you bonus, making it seem harder, deter you from this notion.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There are different bonus points which are still available for Law.

EAS and AAA help as bonus points.

I think Elite Athletes and Performers also goes towards Law.

I think I had 5 all up from the above and I think they go towards all courses except Medicine and some other similar courses which require UMAT.

NFmusic1995

HSC
but if you dont have these, and your even .1 off the cutoff, then you wont get in main rounds?

people with 99.1 and NOTHING ELSE got into com/law at Usyd i am very confused for this.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
but if you dont have these, and your even .1 off the cutoff, then you wont get in main rounds?

people with 99.1 and NOTHING ELSE got into com/law at Usyd i am very confused for this.
I was talking about UNSW only. I don't know about USyd.

HSC
I don't know if this is relevant, but i made it into my top preference at university of sydney (it was #1) even if i was waaaayy off the cut off. It was a bit silly of you to remove it from your first preference.

Hatake88

HSC
I don't think you would have made it. I had a friend get 94.7 (!!!) last year and they still turned her down. Commerce is a highly competitive and highly sought after course at usyd. It doesn't help that half of the student cohort comes from an international background either as, remember, they pay 4X more than you do and so they have easier time getting in (and thus fewer spots for us locals).

At the end of the day though, its almost surprising that unsw com > usyd com. I am only doing com here as all my friends are here and I like the general social environment.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I don't think you would have made it. I had a friend get 94.7 (!!!) last year and they still turned her down. Commerce is a highly competitive and highly sought after course at usyd. It doesn't help that half of the student cohort comes from an international background either as, remember, they pay 4X more than you do and so they have easier time getting in (and thus fewer spots for us locals).

At the end of the day though, its almost surprising that unsw com > usyd com. I am only doing com here as all my friends are here and I like the general social environment.
Pretty self explanatory.

If the atar cut of is 95, the lowest accepted atar for that course was 95. If your friend got accepted (without bonus points) the cut off would be 94.7.(hypothetically speaking that she had the lowest entry atar within the course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)