YAY~Check this out^^ (1 Viewer)

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Important information for students about Voluntary Student Unionism (VSU) and 2006 Student Activity Fees
Late last year the Federal Government passed new laws about the compulsory student activity fees that had previously been charged each semester by all Australian universities. At Macquarie University, these fees were called Student Activity Fees, and included payments for a range of services provided by Macquarie University Sport and Recreation (MUSR), Students at Macquarie (SAM) and other bodies that represent students on campus.

The legislation - called The Higher Education Support Act (Abolition of Compulsory Up-front Student Union Fees) Bill 2005 - effectively abolished student activity fees for periods of study starting on or after 1 July 2006.

What this means at Macquarie is that students must pay their Student Activities Fees for first semester 2006 as usual in order to enrol. Students who do not pay the Fees by the due date will have their first half-year enrolment cancelled. Students will not be required to pay student activity fees from second semester 2006 onward. While the laws allow universities to charge students doing a full-year unit in 2006 a whole year’s Student Activity Fees, Macquarie has decided that, in the interests of equity, the University will only require payment of Student Activity Fees for the first semester part of the full-year unit.

The legislation entitles students to voluntarily become members of SAM, MUSR, the Students Council or Postgraduate Representative Association after 1 July, and advice will be provided later in the year on how to do this.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Or better still, put all that money straight into my account

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
Although it's good for the hip pocket, the sources of the funds, such as the sports associations, may fall apart.

The legislation was only passed because some d$@kh*#d uni student unions *cough... Sydney... MQU... etc* decided to fund protests against the government for better funding a few years ago... with the funding they received from compulsory student fees!

Words can't describe that kind of stupidity... it's the kind of stupidity you just know is there... lol

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
hey do any you guys know what would change if we DIDNT pay our fee's?
like besides not getting a "sam card"
anything else they'd find ways to try rip us off on?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As i understand, the uni has been running with the VSU in place since last year, so not much would change

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
* Food prices may go up... to provide SAM with needed funds.
* They could put a levy on textbook sales?
* Sub clubs, such as social and sporting groups will lose funding so more will be demanded from direct members.
* I think they said that if you don't pay your fees, then you can't use the Liabrary facilities.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure that they'll find plenty more ways of squeezing every cent out of us. *I'm not cynical... just a realist*

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
boinkBOINK said:
hey do any you guys know what would change if we DIDNT pay our fee's?
like besides not getting a "sam card"
anything else they'd find ways to try rip us off on?
Umm...unenrol you.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Smokin'Squirrel said:
1* Food prices may go up... to provide SAM with needed funds.
2* They could put a levy on textbook sales?
3* Sub clubs, such as social and sporting groups will lose funding so more will be demanded from direct members.
4* I think they said that if you don't pay your fees, then you can't use the Liabrary facilities.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure that they'll find plenty more ways of squeezing every cent out of us. *I'm not cynical... just a realist*
Numbered for convenience
1 i don't care. food is expensive as it is, i don't buy much food from uni for that reason
2 what does that mean?
4 wtf? what does that mean?

X

xeuyrawp

I couldn't really care. All the clubs that will crumble as a result of VSU are weak Lefty clubs that are too stupid to organise funding and support.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i wonder what orientation week will be like.. only organisations?
what about the sporting ones this year. will they go ahead since only they are only guaranteed a semester of fees...

Phanatic

HSC
Hehe, I don't think there ARE any lefty clubs on campus to crumble!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Smokin'Squirrel said:
After July 2006 they can't as it won't be compulsory.
Oh I meant Semester 1. Obviously they can't do anything for sem 2, hence the voluntary nature of it.

I still think VSU's a mistake. The only viable option for SAM is to hike up the food and sam shop prices majorly for non-members. Most times I can't be f*cked going to Mac Centre...especially if you have an hour break. And yes, the price of beer WILL go up.

The clubs that will hurt the most will be the interest-based clubs. I think this is a negative thing for campus culture (whats left of it anyway).

I know the argument about market forces and choice, but if everything was about a free market and money, then we might as well get rid of the school of humanities (with the exception of the division of law) as I hear the other 2 schools are heavily subsidising their lack of private revenue generation.

ND

HSC
Beer tastes like crap out of those plastic cups i recon (could just be that it's New though).

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Try this Vodka passionfruit drink...it tastes quite ok (except, alcohol lv is 2+% i think) :p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Sweet_Lemon said:
Try this Vodka passionfruit drink...it tastes quite ok (except, alcohol lv is 2+% i think) :p
About as chick drink as you can get that!

Hmm...does anyone know if the SAM bar serves absinthe?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Smokin'Squirrel said:
* Food prices may go up... to provide SAM with needed funds.
* They could put a levy on textbook sales?
* Sub clubs, such as social and sporting groups will lose funding so more will be demanded from direct members.
* I think they said that if you don't pay your fees, then you can't use the Liabrary facilities.

1) Food prices might rise... but sales would fall, too. They'd be looking at the elasticity of demand, I'd assume (ie, how much demand falls off when the prices rise, and how that affects total revenue... anyone do economics?). I don't know how much further they could raise them, in practicality. Sure, a dollar, maybe two, but what's a dollar or two in the scheme of things? Will be just enough to avoid going over to MQ -- would you pay $1 or 2 to avoid walking over there? If so, that's a reasonable prediction they'll raise it by at least that much.

2). They're not related to CoOp, who're totally independent of VSU/USU (right? That's right to the best of my knowledge). And then there are other methods of finding textbooks, too.

3):
PwarYuex said:
I couldn't really care. All the clubs that will crumble as a result of VSU are weak Lefty clubs that are too stupid to organise funding and support.
...or just simply not popular enough. On average, you could argue that those clubs that survive are 'wanted enough' to raise the required funds. By the same notion those which crumple aren't "wanted" - on average - enough to keep going...

4): I'd be surprised if they did that. Kinda takes away the 'voluntary' part of VSU when they remove the library from uni life, considering everyone'd have to do it then to have adequate resources... (Woudl depend on the course, though; I know as a psych student you'd not pass without the library's databases & journals)

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Considering none of the library funding comes from student fees, it would be ludicrous to provide any less of a service to those not paying the voluntary student fees come august.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
...or just simply not popular enough. On average, you could argue that those clubs that survive are 'wanted enough' to raise the required funds. By the same notion those which crumple aren't "wanted" - on average - enough to keep going...
you mean my AD&D dressup battle krew might be gone?!?!:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)