YAY we're on the news (1 Viewer)

B

bekmay

russianROULETTE said:
our school was on the TV for business yesterday. was so gay, we finished the exam and they're like 'okay we need you to pretend to write now'. and it was then that i started thinking of all the inappropriate acronyms i used to memorise stuff:hammer:
hahah tell us...
we had to have our pictures taken for the newspaper :S
soo lame. it happens every year you would think they would get over it LOL

HSC
bekmay said:
hahah tell us...
we had to have our pictures taken for the newspaper :S
soo lame. it happens every year you would think they would get over it LOL
lol i know, the morning of the exam i was like 'hmm, every year they do a story at our school... if they're doing it during our exam i'm gonna be so pissed', but of course, with the news all being fake and stuff they just filmed us pretending lol.

B

bekmay

russianROULETTE said:
lol i know, the morning of the exam i was like 'hmm, every year they do a story at our school... if they're doing it during our exam i'm gonna be so pissed', but of course, with the news all being fake and stuff they just filmed us pretending lol.
haha well it works... i watched the news tonight and thought... "Wow would have sucked to be them with all those cameras on them while they worked"... didn't actually think about it til you said that... LOL

ASNSWR127

HSC
wrong_turn said:
your school isnt that highly ranked? you think due to your high rank at your school would be the same rank you would have at another school or is it the incompetence of the actual teacher?
I really have no idea - I am not that into the whole BS that seems to be so prevalent in the Board of Studies and English teachers in general.

Maybe my rank would have been the same (I suspect so seeing as my raw mark was still in the order of 78 without study or going to many lessons) - I think it was incompetent teaching and an irrelevant course that prevented my mark being higher (call it hubris if you will but I look at these things objectively seeing no need to 'beef up' my academic credentials to people I will never meet).

Stang

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
The sad thing is, we've spent 11 years doing this crap and yet we still need to spend more time on it.
i agree with you =]

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
so were we..and the year before us...and teh year before us

u-borat

Banned
HSC
it looks pretty fake; i mean on abc they had a short clip of sydney boys high, and everyone was just like doodling. lol.

moar like everyones going flat outtt

HSC
bekmay said:
haha well it works... i watched the news tonight and thought... "Wow would have sucked to be them with all those cameras on them while they worked"... didn't actually think about it til you said that... LOL
haha yeah it does, i'd never actually thought of it until the day before the exam... i was like, 'hmm, couldn't heaps of people file for misadventure and say they were distracted?'

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
it was pretty obvious it was faked/staged by the news - 1) if u look at the Board fo Studies Media release, they ask media to ask skool to do a 'mok' shot after exam, or else will distract, PLUS 2) if u watched closely, the people they showed werent writing in exam booklets- it was sheets of paper

lol

Bilama

HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
Good plan

We wasted far too much time on useless and fluffy topics like "imaginitive journey's" rasther than learning the English language.
i agreeeee:D

iluvGG

HSC
I wish they had introduced more grammar into the syllabus for english before our year did the HSC!!! I would have enjoyed english if they'd done that! And possibly acutally done WELL in it!!

Black Hawker

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
it was pretty obvious it was faked/staged by the news - 1) if u look at the Board fo Studies Media release, they ask media to ask skool to do a 'mok' shot after exam, or else will distract, PLUS 2) if u watched closely, the people they showed werent writing in exam booklets- it was sheets of paper

lol
Actually, we were given 2 new booklets to pretend to write stuff on. Supervisor had to read it in the end.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
Black Hawker said:
Our class was on C7 for Business. :)
haha i saw that.
i originally was like sure they'd film during their freaking hsc...but soon realised they so wouldn't do that!
there was some newspaper people hanging around after english but i ignored them coz i wanted to go get lunch haha.

Black Hawker

HSC
dance2urownbeat said:
haha i saw that.
i originally was like sure they'd film during their freaking hsc...but soon realised they so wouldn't do that!
there was some newspaper people hanging around after english but i ignored them coz i wanted to go get lunch haha.
You could see in the shots that we didn't know what to write.

4jess7lov

HSC
u-borat said:
it looks pretty fake; i mean on abc they had a short clip of sydney boys high, and everyone was just like doodling. lol.

moar like everyones going flat outtt
ah that was north sydney boys not sydney boys just so you know

AmyleaG

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
our school was on the TV for business yesterday. was so gay, we finished the exam and they're like 'okay we need you to pretend to write now'. and it was then that i started thinking of all the inappropriate acronyms i used to memorise stuff:hammer:
Amelia? If you're not how awkward lol. It was so funny, they showed a close up shot of my hand pretending to write on the paper and if you had have seen the paper, it was imaginary writing :) hehehe

aussie-boy

HSC
to be frank, the current syllabus is actually based on the right ideals, just covered with a layer of bullshit

english is about developing the skills required to look at real world texts (comedy, satire, serious news, ads, literature, reports... whatever) and to have the mental ability to compute all aspects of their meaning - so that you subconsciously pick up techniques used and realise how they contribute to the text

while teachers going through texts and demonstrating the use of language may teach these skills, the only way to properly examine a student's developed ability is via completely new texts or creative writing which demonstrates they can apply what they have learnt to the creation of meaning

hence at the moment i believe the only legitimate parts of the english exam are section 1 and 2 of paper 1 - while the rest can be done by applying the above skills, it is much more easily done through reliance on teaching and memorisation

grammar etc is already taught extensively enough... at the end of the day the people who want to become scholars in english are far fewer than those who rely on their powers of interpretation to negotiate the real world

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)