YAY we're on the news (1 Viewer)

Black Hawker

HSC
dance2urownbeat said:
haha yeh they zoomed in on one girl and i just knew no school would allow that during an exam! she was just sitting there like chewing on her pencil looking at the paper like she was thinking real hard haha.
oh the things the media will make people do for a story.
That reminds me of representation and Frontline...

mathslover

HSC
bekmay said:
haven't you got anything better to do? just asking seeing as though you say you did your HSC 10 years ago... what are you doing on here?
yeah man,
youre nearly 30, get a life !

wendus

krawr.
HSC
bekmay said:
i feel special because we were on the news for our english exams today hahah.
what do people think about the inclusion of more grammar that the aust. govt will be introducing?
we were filmed too... hahaha
though they used us as a springboard to talk about bad spelling and grammar.
fuck channel 10

Black Hawker

HSC
wendus said:
we were filmed too... hahaha
though they used us as a springboard to talk about bad spelling and grammar.
fuck channel 10
Wow, all the schools that were filmed are selective.

PHS - Ch7
NSGH - Ch 10
NSBH - ?
Girra - ?

ddillan

HSC
If people don't know grammar and spelling by year 9 they are screwed.

There is no point learning it in High School. It's all we do in primary and years 7 & 8.

If you don't know it by then, you will never know it!!!!!!!!

Lewa

HSC
Does anyone else think that the main reason why grammar and spelling is so bad in our generation and possibly generations after us, is because of the internet, online games and mobile phones but mostly chat programs like MSN and Skype?

I mean c'mon we have to shorten everything to LOL and BRB things like that. I know a kid at our school that leaves out some letters in words just so he can make it quicker to text his girlfriend... Soon we will be saying it and it will only be further "advertised" in media productions. I already know that shows reference it (Californication) and there are probably numerous kids TV shows that are hanging onto the idea that it will get more TV ratings and money.

I'm grateful that K-Rudd's government is making grammar and spelling more focused in schools because in my eyes I see that we are butchering the English language.

Oh and about that 90s vs 90's thing. 90's was the way it was spelt in my parents day... so what is right the old folks' way or our way? Many people spell it that way cause that's the way they have been taught. If it can be understood then it's alright in my opinion but not when it gets to the point where we are deliberately making up new "words" that just don't make sense at all... Imagine if some foreign person who didn't understand english or more specifically people who don't understand internet speak and you told them PAOSDFSDFP... Really, why?

henry08

HSC
N/A
Lewa said:
Does anyone else think that the main reason why grammar and spelling is so bad in our generation and possibly generations after us, is because of the internet, online games and mobile phones but mostly chat programs like MSN and Skype?

I mean c'mon we have to shorten everything to LOL and BRB things like that. I know a kid at our school that leaves out some letters in words just so he can make it quicker to text his girlfriend... Soon we will be saying it and it will only be further "advertised" in media productions. I already know that shows reference it (Californication) and there are probably numerous kids TV shows that are hanging onto the idea that it will get more TV ratings and money.

I'm grateful that K-Rudd's government is making grammar and spelling more focused in schools because in my eyes I see that we are butchering the English language.

Oh and about that 90s vs 90's thing. 90's was the way it was spelt in my parents day... so what is right the old folks' way or our way? Many people spell it that way cause that's the way they have been taught. If it can be understood then it's alright in my opinion but not when it gets to the point where we are deliberately making up new "words" that just don't make sense at all... Imagine if some foreign person who didn't understand english or more specifically people who don't understand internet speak and you told them PAOSDFSDFP... Really, why?
g8 lol

mathslover

HSC
Lewa said:

hhhmmm was it really spelt 90's in the olden days? but wats the purpose of the apostophe? apostrophes r used to either show belonging (eg. Tom's umbrella), or to compensate for a letter (eg. where's he going?). so i dont get the pt of it being in 90s or UAIs n wat not.. why was it used like that back then, if it was at all? :S
Im not sure people spell it like that cz of their parents, maybe theyre just dumb and cant read textbooks properly.

and yes,i agree that all these errors are cz of technology.

Lewa

HSC
To tell you the truth they just spelt it that way... They didn't give me a reason why they did they just did it. From what I understand, and my interpretation of why they did it, was to show ownership of the decade they were born in and it transferred over into dates. I suppose you look at long dates these days and some people leave out the suffix at the end of the numbers e.g. 18 January 2005 rather than 18th January 2005. It's changed a little but I do see where you are going with that though. Maybe 90s is really the way to spell it, after all apparently the english language is evolutionary after all....

crestor

HSC
Grammar certainly needs to be brought into the new curriculum for sure and all this critical analysis crap over hauled. Seriously, what is the point analysing dialogue when people cannot even structure sentances, spell etc...

It is only when you learn another language that you realise how little we know about the English language. I could only learn a new concept in French properly after my teacher had explained to me English grammar. We must get the basics right before even thinking about doing critical analysis of different text types. In 20 years time you are not going to care about or even likely to remember your analysis of 'Raw' or the themes in 'Witness' but if you are taught proper grammar it is with you for life.

Guol

Awesome Member
HSC
About the new curriculum: Great idea.

At present, all the curriculum is doing is testing the ability of people to memorise pre-written essays.
I mean I know a few people who got their teachers to help them write practice essays, and if you ask them about the essays (e.g. "what themes are in your essay") they shrug and sayt hey have no idea.

I think Rudd's new plan will go a long way towards making the HSC English exams more about actual English.
And as the person above me said, proper grammar does stay with you for life and will help you in all aspects. Imagine going to a job interview and speaking in MSN language. That would be pretty crazy.

Lewa said:

Totally agree with you about the shift in focus - it is pretty appalling to see the level of language employed by some people in our generation, and I think the internet is just making everyone lazier.

And regarding the 90s vs 90's discussion:
I always thought it was written as '90s, with the apostrophe being used in place of the first "19"

Last edited:

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
bekmay said:
i feel special because we were on the news for our english exams today hahah.
what do people think about the inclusion of more grammar that the aust. govt will be introducing?
you need to get out more..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)