Year 11 2013 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
3u english & maths, french continuers, chem and eco =)
That's sort of similar to me, would have loved to have done eco but it didn't run at my school. Are you going on exchange for French?

rachael96

HSC
It's weird how excited I get when I see other people who spell Rachael the way I do...
haha yeah, i like having my name spelt with the extra 'a' as well :)
when i see something spelt "rachel" it just doesn't look right :\
anyway thank you for your answer, i am using the text :)

Wonder

HSC
That's sort of similar to me, would have loved to have done eco but it didn't run at my school. Are you going on exchange for French?
Nope not this year unfortunately! I'd still like to go to France, possibly on exchange, but maybe after the HSC, so I can go for longer and I won't have the HSC hanging over my head. ;) You're going this year aren't you?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Nope not this year unfortunately! I'd still like to go to France, possibly on exchange, but maybe after the HSC, so I can go for longer and I won't have the HSC hanging over my head. ;) You're going this year aren't you?
Yes, my crazy distance ed French teacher has said she won't allow any student to undertake extension without having lived in France for at least two months within the past two years ('oh no', I cried). I leave at the very end of November; I've already started packing haha

SuchSmallHands

HSC
haha yeah, i like having my name spelt with the extra 'a' as well :)
when i see something spelt "rachel" it just doesn't look right :\
anyway thank you for your answer, i am using the text :)
You're welcome, it gets confusing sometimes with people not really understanding BOS rules but still giving advice. Using HSC prescribed texts as related texts in prelim is actually a really good way to familiarise yourself with authors you may be studying next year and give yourself a head start. I've been purposely choosing HSC prescribed texts all year, and asking people in the year above me what they're studying to make it relevant :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
One person in my year just changed from physics to legal, but they really had to fight to do so and there's a whole term worth of catching up to do. If you really want to you can (unless your school is stricter than mine) but you'd want to do it now and be pretty keen on doing a term's worth of Chemistry catch up on top of the current workload.

HSC
I know of guys in the year above me change as late as the end of term 2 but as smallhands said the problem is catching up with the work, if your willing to put in the extra effort to catch up then sure. I know that I made a conscious effort to choose subjects that I a) liked and would enjoy studying (except English :vcross:) and b) knew that would drop out of so I wouldn't have to play catch up

Verify

HSC
Yeah I'd advise from changing subjects even if you can. It's way too much of a risk in terms of catching up on the workload and half-yearlies are around the corner for most schools.

enoilgam

HSC
should i drop Modern for Chemistry or is it like too late?
It's probably too late, but I guess it's worth asking. Although, with a subject like chemistry, I dont think it would be such a good idea. You would need to do quite a bit to catch up on the work and from what I can remember, it is linked to HSC stuff so you need to know it (someone correct me if I am wrong here). If you wanted to change to a humanities subject maybe (except eco), then it would be a different story, because the content isnt that hard to grasp and for most, the work isnt really necessary for HSC.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It's probably too late, but I guess it's worth asking. Although, with a subject like chemistry, I dont think it would be such a good idea. You would need to do quite a bit to catch up on the work and from what I can remember, it is linked to HSC stuff so you need to know it (someone correct me if I am wrong here). If you wanted to change to a humanities subject maybe (except eco), then it would be a different story, because the content isnt that hard to grasp and for most, the work isnt really necessary for HSC.
The beginning of year 11 chem isn't really important, so he may be fine in that aspect.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
While there's nothing exactly earth-shattering in the chemical earth or metals, at my school we're three weeks from half-yearlies as Verify said so it still could be hard to get your head around everything in that amount of time. But if you did well in year ten science you'd already know a lot of what's covered at the start of year eleven chem anyway.

deloving

HSC
If you hate your current subject that you want to change from then by all means go for it, you will benefit from changing in the long run. But you must be certain that you will enjoy and do well in the subject you want to change to.

Verify

HSC
Half-yearlies are finally over! No more major assessments till the Yearlies! Yay!

Verify

HSC
But we have yearlies followed by Prelim soon after, and then BAM! Year 12.
Yeah that's true. I guess I kind of view now as the last time to truly have a break before Year 12 starts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)