Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I have gotten most of the concepts we're going to learn in the syllabus down but I just don't feel the pressure in preliminaries so far. I haven't locked my room for 6 hours straight and crammed like hell so I guess im not too serious yet, unlike most of my friends who brags about having 3 hour long sessions... and here I am with my lowely 1 1/2 hours...
Dw, you will come to that when the hsc comes :p.

Examine

same
HSC
If you "just chilled" these holidays, and you got a 98. It really gives me hope I can achieve a 94 hahaha but then again you might be really talented.. :(
During year 10 I was looking at an ATAR below 90 and was highly recommended not to do Extension 1 Maths and Economics so I don't think I'm too naturally talented tbh. (also happened for mx2 as well lol fml)

I think as long as you make sure that you don't fall behind in class, know your dotpoints and the information inside out, do past papers and refine your exam technique through the HSC you'll be able to achieve your goal. :)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
During year 10 I was looking at an ATAR below 90 and was highly recommended not to do Extension 1 Maths and Economics so I don't think I'm too naturally talented tbh. (also happened for mx2 as well lol fml)

I think as long as you make sure that you don't fall behind in class, know your dotpoints and the information inside out, do past papers and refine your exam technique through the HSC you'll be able to achieve your goal. :)
Did you completely lock yourself from the outside world during preliminaries and hscs or did you have time for ECs? Well glad you achieved your desired marks for maths ext 1 and 2.
Wait you can apply for ext 2 without being recommended?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Also you should do all of the above through the preliminary years as well-since a good foundation is essential to set up the good study habits to ace year 12:)

Examine

same
HSC
Did you completely lock yourself from the outside world during preliminaries and hscs or did you have time for ECs? Well glad you achieved your desired marks for maths ext 1 and 2.
Wait you can apply for ext 2 without being recommended?
Lol definitely not. Umm tbh I was one of those guys who did mediocre during prelims but started picking up their game during the HSC, and even then I didn't consistently study (so not a particularly good representation of the studious people here on bos so don't follow what I did LOL) It was quite the opposite since in year 11/12 I ended up becoming much more social and had a decent amount of ECs. (debating, mock trial, state/regionals swimming, prefect team, etc) IMO it's not too hard to juggle a social life while doing well in the HSC, just depends on how you manage your time I guess. As long as you are confident that you are up to date with everything, surely it isn't too bad to go to parties, social events, and overall just taking a breather. :p

If I could time travel to year 11 me I'd tell myself to really focus on English (to improve overall skills) and Maths (30% of the HSC exam can include prelim content) as well as work on my essay writing/structure for my Humanities subjects (so basically try in everything lol). I'd also tell myself to try experiment to see the ways that I could study most efficiently (because I didn't do too much during Prelims this was mainly left for the HSC). For me, it seemed that typing up really summarised notes and then abusing my highlighter was the best way I learnt, but for others reading out loud, creating study cards, handwriting notes or just reading the textbook continually may be more effective options.

The school can highly discourage you to not pick up a subject but they can't stop you.

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol definitely not. Umm tbh I was one of those guys who did mediocre during prelims but started picking up their game during the HSC, and even then I didn't consistently study (so not a particularly good representation of the studious people here on bos so don't follow what I did LOL) It was quite the opposite since in year 11/12 I ended up becoming much more social and had a decent amount of ECs. (debating, mock trial, state/regionals swimming, prefect team, etc) IMO it's not too hard to juggle a social life while doing well in the HSC, just depends on how you manage your time I guess.

If I could time travel to year 11 me I'd tell myself to really focus on English (to improve overall skills) and Maths (30% of the HSC exam can include prelim content) as well as work on my essay writing/structure for my Humanities subjects (so basically try in everything lol). I'd also tell myself to try experiment to see the ways that I could study most efficiently (because I didn't do too much during Prelims this was mainly left for the HSC). For me, it seemed that typing up really summarised notes and then abusing my highlighter was the best way I learnt, but for others reading out loud, creating study cards, handwriting notes or just reading the textbook continually may be more effective options.

The school can highly discourage you to not pick up a subject but they can't stop you.
Really inspirational! you're getting me a feel to pick up my game. but damn you mustve been hella determined even after being highly discouraged with not taking those subs, respect ! :)

Examine

same
HSC
Really inspirational! you're getting me a feel to pick up my game. but damn you mustve been hella determined even after being highly discouraged with not taking those subs, respect ! :)
It'd also be heaps good to develop good study habits during prelims (2 hours a day or something around this) while not overexerting yourself to make sure that you keep sane/motivated while having a good foundation to work on for the HSC (much better to ease into the study rather than going from 0 to 100 once the HSC starts). Mix this in with what I said earlier then I'm sure you'll be able to do really well.

HSC
Hey there!
Nice to meet you too, I'm pretty sure I have you on my friends list haha. That's so cool, if you don't mind me asking what selective school do you go to? Wow I don't know of anyone talking heritage Chinese, that's awesome :)
I go (or will be going to) SGHS :D

macrazy

HSC
What extracurricular do you guys all do? Are you going to continue them in your senior years?
In year 10 I played hockey on two teams, played netball, was part of a peer tutoring group my school ran, was part of the blood donar program, volunteered with red shield appeal and had a part time job. In year 11 I hope to continue with all my sport, I can no longer partocipate in the peer tutoring program (year 10 only) but was trained at the end of year 10 to be a peer mediator :) I want to continue with all my other EC's this year and hopefully join the environmental council and our schools vinnies group - it would also be great if I could become the blood donar ambassador. Want to do toastmasters as well as continue my part time job but I'm not sure if I'll have time for all of this but I suppose I'll work it out as I go :)

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
OMG, I did heritage too... Bah it was so hard. Iirc they do Chinese heritage at Stratty girls on Saturday?
How hard is heritage comparative to the other Chinese courses? Is it harder than extension?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
ahh prelim chem should be fun! Our school only offered it for this year's yr 10 :(.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How hard is heritage comparative to the other Chinese courses? Is it harder than extension?
I never did extension, but even the heritage course .. I found really challenging !

We had to write 200 word essays and stuff, do a 10 minute interview, etc

* I quit mid year...

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
any1 know what the first math chapter for 2u is usually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)