Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
*I take back my previous statement

Tutoring is only for people who have long attention spans OR forcing them young kiddies taking the selective/OC test to actually study for dat test haha :D I mean, who, in primary, freaking studies?
There's more to tutoring than those petty reasons tbh.

Fiction

HSC
There's more to tutoring than those petty reasons tbh.
Like? The whole point of tutoring is to get better academically. Fact is, if you don't 1 on 1 tutor and group tutor - that's usually 2-3 hours like studying. (and like one break) Personally, my attention span only goes for around 45 minutes before I blank out/need to change topic. Therefore in that 3 hours, I'm only intaking 45 minutes efficently therefore rendering tutoring slightly more inefficient for me than for other with long attention spans.
Obv if you 1 on 1 tutor, then you can voice out whether you need a break or not - and usually sessions are shorter b/c it's more expensive. But 1 on 1 can get pretty expensive - assuming you don't want uni students or freshly high school grads tutoring you~

Tutoring just doesn't work for everyone :D

Fiction

HSC
yeah I think what you're saying is pretty valid. I go to a top 5 school and my rank for 3u math is above average so I'm pretty happy because I haven't even gone full out yet. (although I do think my school sucks at math compared to other selectives)
haha ur school probs can't suck at maths more than mine xD (top 15) We're more english/arts/humanities based lol

Fiction

HSC
Not bashing tutoring or anything guys :O Just saying that personally it's not the right study method for me (at least from my experience thus far). I mean, I volunteer teaching kids reading and writing - it's practically tutoring and I'm not against it b/c it does give those children who may not grasp concepts as easily as others a lift - however, I'm just saying, it may not be for everyone~ No one should assume that they're at a disadvantage if they don't go tutoring b/c you could be one of those many individuals, like me, who has a short attention span + is lazy c:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Like? The whole point of tutoring is to get better academically. Fact is, if you don't 1 on 1 tutor and group tutor - that's usually 2-3 hours like studying. (and like one break) Personally, my attention span only goes for around 45 minutes before I blank out/need to change topic. Therefore in that 3 hours, I'm only intaking 45 minutes efficently therefore rendering tutoring slightly more inefficient for me than for other with long attention spans.
Obv if you 1 on 1 tutor, then you can voice out whether you need a break or not - and usually sessions are shorter b/c it's more expensive. But 1 on 1 can get pretty expensive - assuming you don't want uni students or freshly high school grads tutoring you~

Tutoring just doesn't work for everyone :D
I'm see your point. And yeah, tutoring isn't for everyone - if you don't put in the effort required, why bother going? You've just wasted the money your parents would've cashed. So yeah I agree with all with what you said. :)

BTW, technically, you can be disadvantaged if your teachers are just plain shit. So from there, tutors are the ones who give clarity on how to approach your studies. But that's my opinion.

Fiction

HSC
I'm see your point. And yeah, tutoring isn't for everyone - if you don't put in the effort required, why bother going? You've just wasted the money your parents would've cashed. So yeah I agree with all with what you said. :)

BTW, technically, you can be disadvantaged if your teachers are just plain shit. So from there, tutors are the ones who give clarity on how to approach your studies. But that's my opinion.
Fair enough. I do want to mention that at our age we are expected to take our own learning into our own hands bwahahahaha but let's be real - practically no one doe that unless they're super, mega organised or something. Teachers can also very easily make a subject enjoyable or not to a student - I love english now thanks to my current teacher b/c he makes it so fun and relaxing, and I'm loving Eco even though I'm failing the subject hahaxD

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
yeah I think what you're saying is pretty valid. I go to a top 5 school and my rank for 3u math is above average so I'm pretty happy because I haven't even gone full out yet. (although I do think my school sucks at math compared to other selectives)
Ur school is like pro at english and better at maths than mine!

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
I just had an economics exam today and I am not sure about one of my responses.

The question was to describe recent labour market trends. I talked about unemployment increasing, an aging population meaning people working longer, and more people seeking social welfare programs and how the government is attempting to stop this through their "Work for the Dole" program.

I'm not sure at all whether this is correct. Unemployment is definitely, but most other answers included offshore, underemployment, casualisation of the workforce etc.

What do you think?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I just had an economics exam today and I am not sure about one of my responses.

The question was to describe recent labour market trends. I talked about unemployment increasing, an aging population meaning people working longer, and more people seeking social welfare programs and how the government is attempting to stop this through their "Work for the Dole" program.

I'm not sure at all whether this is correct. Unemployment is definitely, but most other answers included offshore, underemployment, casualisation of the workforce etc.

What do you think?
I think you should be fine. Those points are most definitely valid, provided that you expanded on your argument with things like:

- Recession lowers aggregate demand which saw cutbacks in production and closure of many firms
- Unemployment was worsened by structural change and microeconomic reform. Loss of jobs meant that the people found it difficult to re-enter the workforce because job vacancies required higher or different skills
- Reluctance of business firms to employ workers again since the general consensus is that: the longer you're out of the industry, the more likely you'll lose your skill set in your respected field

Other than that, you should be good. :)

EDIT: the latter two I touched upon are related so I guess that may augment your analysis alongside with statistics. And if you mentioned the short and long term implications then it shows you know your stuff.

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
I think you should be fine. Those points are most definitely valid, provided that you expanded on your argument with things like:

- Recession lowers aggregate demand which saw cutbacks in production and closure of many firms
- Unemployment was worsened by structural change and microeconomic reform. Loss of jobs meant that the people found it difficult to re-enter the workforce because job vacancies required higher or different skills
- Reluctance of business firms to employ workers again since the general consensus is that: the longer you're out of the industry, the more likely you'll lose your skill set in your respected field

Other than that, you should be good. :)

EDIT: the latter two I touched upon are related so I guess that may augment your analysis alongside with statistics. And if you mentioned the short and long term implications then it shows you know your stuff.
This just reconfirmed how little I know about eco OTL

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
This just reconfirmed how little I know about eco OTL
:haha:

It's really applying the theory to the continuity of the economic world. Just have a logical mindset on the progression of cause and effect and you'll be able to figure out the implications.

Simran-

HSC
Need help guys...

I've got an assessement task for EX1 on Monday and I basically have to write an essay in class.
The question is:

Significant texts in any period arise from particular ways of thinking and possess an enduring relevance.

"Write an essay, in which you explore the extent to which this is true of the scene viewed and texts you have studied in your elective"

I need to refer to 2 prescribed texts and 1 related text. My prescribed texts were the Catcher in The Rye and the movie, "Into the wild" and my related text is The Outsiders.

Now, what Im confused with..is what should I be writing about?? Themes? Character? And how the heck do I talk about the statement. I kinda did an intro and I wanted to start my 1st paragraph on catcher in the rye...but how do I introduce it??

Simran-

HSC
I havent started studying for prelims yet and they're in a week's time. Pls kill me.
I've got prelims in like 2 weeks time and I havent started my notes either! :(
And I've got assignments due all of next week.

matchalolz

HSC
I havent started studying for prelims yet and they're in a week's time. Pls kill me.
I've got prelims in like 2 weeks time and I havent started my notes either! :(
And I've got assignments due all of next week.
it's k guys, I have two essays due this week and yearlies start next week but zero fucks given xD #yolo

I'm sure you guys will manage :) (we'll all get through this... somehow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)