Year 11 2018 Premlim (1 Viewer)

doggossigh

HSC
Hey guys, any tips for studying? I'll be in Year 11 this year (2018 already wow) and I'm moving to Baulko so that's a bit scary lol.

Chem
Bio
Physics
English Adv
English Extension
Math Adv
Modern History

This is a really weird combination of subjects, I know lol. I would say I'm pretty good at chem and bio, struggle a bit at physics but I'm really interested and willing to put in extra effort. My English and history is pretty good, but my math is depressingly bad. I'm going to do 12 units so my 2u maths don't count towards my atar (thankfully), but I can't drop it because prerequisites.

Any tips for these subjects, especially maths please? I really need the help, since I'm barely getting above average in my tests, and I heard the jump to Baulko is quite difficult, especially for maths.

Thank you!

Edit:
Also I want to drop a subject for 4u English (probably physics if I fail) but after my yearlys I've really lost my confidence. If I don't do Extension 2, I could do History extension. Any other options or advice?

HSC
Chem/ Bio/ Phys- if you can get your hands on really well made notes by a top performing student, that would be good but if you can't, make sure you make really good notes yourself. Don't let your notes become too long, you need concise notes that are relevant. Bio is pretty much just memorising content but chem and phys is about actually understanding the work. If you're not sure, always ask the teacher for extra help.

Eng Adv/ Ext- Write lots of practice essays and practice paragraphs. If you can get your teacher to look over it for you, then that's even better. By doing this, if you happen to come across a question in the exam that is similar to a practice essay you have written, you can just use those paragraphs. As for creatives, always make sure your ideas are relevant to the question/ stimulus presented. You can also practice this by writing out plot outlines and presenting it to your teacher.

Maths- practice practice practice practice practice past papers. That's all i can say haha. (You should put effort in maths even if you don't think it will count because you don't know if you might end up failing another subject)

Modern- I dropped modern after prelims so not too sure about this. Probably the same as english. A lot of practice essays to be done.

Keep in mind 4u English is different to advanced english. It's very self-driven and also can be either a hit or miss depending on marker's preferences. Once you hand in the final work, you feel very relaxed and that's one unit over.
History extension is also self-driven but more straightforward than 4u eng imo.

HSC
I was also rather concerned about how I should be studying for my subjects, since I transferred from a mediocre comprehensive high to Ruse (This year). Honestly, for maths I grinded through every single question in Cambridge prelim 3u during the long holidays and attempted some past papers from other schools (You don't want to do your own school's past paper- you want to do them during the weeks coming up to ur exam lol). Simply put "practice makes perfect". In Ruse, (and I'm sure in Baulko as well), time management is essential as the tests are usually time-constraining. There will be a lot of questions and limited time so I suggest going through all the core basic questions and learn them until you can start on the question without even thinking about it so you can leave time for the harder ones.

Also feel free to ask any questions on the maths forum. That's what I did lol and it really helps.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Chem
Bio

Make sure you structure your notes under the syllabus headings to ensure that you aren't missing any dot points!

Mathematics do you given textbook questions + pastpapers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)