• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 Carry over (1 Viewer)

CaucasianAsian

HSC
To what extent does year 11 work carry over into the final y12 HSC exams? I know that in subjects like maths knowledge always carries over, but for other subjects (ie. chem, mod his, ecos) does the final HSC exams cover all yr 11 + 12 work or only that covered from year 12 onwards?

mioumiou

HSC
In the HSC exam, there will be about 30% of Preliminary stuff and 70% of HSC stuff in the paper I think. For chemistry, even though the stuff you lean this year might not be in the exams but you will need to build some basic foundations for the work later on (you will need these stuff, the basic knowledge for the HSC). Or otherwise year 11 is just a practice year for year 12.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
maths will definitely be carried over... which i dont like... circle geo can be so annoying even though i usually get them.

for sciences(not sure about physics) the concepts get carried over. I am basing this on doing bio and chem.

For bio u need to know like osmosis, diffusion, meiosis stuff like that. The list goes on. Actually quite a few things get repeated. Like animal response to environment(prelim was generaly hsc is australian animals) plant response to estuarine environments(prelim some local ecosystems and how plans respond, hsc is like mangroves or your choice.)

For chem like formulas such as c=n/v, n =m/M stuff like that...

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
blunt answer: check the syllabus and compare y11 and y12

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
To what extent does year 11 work carry over into the final y12 HSC exams? I know that in subjects like maths knowledge always carries over, but for other subjects (ie. chem, mod his, ecos) does the final HSC exams cover all yr 11 + 12 work or only that covered from year 12 onwards?

Modern, none. Only if you do subjects which form background info to your HSC course, such as if you do Indochina in year 11 and the Vietnam War in year 12 or the Romanovs and then Soviet Russia. But you don't need them and none of the knowledge in those units is directly assessable.

HSC
Uni Grad
The only subjects that carry over to year 12 are;

Maths (all courses)
Physics (some of the concepts like formulas)
Chemistry (same with physics)

and I'm not sure about the others but the skills you learn in English, History subjects and every other subject are carried over. Make sure you know how to write an analytical essay for a particular subject :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Chem - formulas, moles and general things like combustion etc etc.
Phys - Projectiles

Modern - just your essay writing skills. Some background knowledge you learnt in yr 11 might also be helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)