Year 11 noob chemistry student (1 Viewer)

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Ok i'm in year 11 chemistry and i'm not doing so well in tests and assessments. Whenever i try studying chemistry, I don't even understand what the text book writes. Is there any good method/ways to understand chemistry or study chemistry?<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN> :confused:

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Well, I'm in year 11 too, and I'm not going to brag, but I'm doing pretty well in chemistry.

Man, if you're not doing well in chemistry, you're doing more than a few things wrong. You really have to put the effort in, in order to be on top of your chemistry work.

Another thing that shocks me is the fact that you dont understand the book....you're obviously not paying attention.

Do you pay attention to the teacher? Do you write notes when the teacher is talking? Do you do your homework? Do you write down notes on the syllabus?

Do these and you'll be on top of your work. There's no easy way out.

This is stage 6.

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Well, I'm in year 11 too, and I'm not going to brag, but I'm doing pretty well in chemistry.

Man, if you're not doing well in chemistry, you're doing more than a few things wrong. You really have to put the effort in, in order to be on top of your chemistry work.

Another thing that shocks me is the fact that you dont understand the book....you're obviously not paying attention.

Do you pay attention to the teacher? Do you write notes when the teacher is talking? Do you do your homework? Do you write down notes on the syllabus?

Do these and you'll be on top of your work. There's no easy way out.

This is stage 6.
well my teacher doesnt really write notes.... I just listen to what he says, it's like a uni lecture... and he gives us these chemistry booklets for us to do and i dun know how to do most of the questions...

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
I mean, YOU HAVE to write down notes.

The teacher talks, and you write down notes on what he says.

What topic are you doing at the moment? Water? Where are you confused, I'll help a bit.

But you have to study, and really put a lot of effort. Just ask yourself this question: "What can I do to work harder in chemistry?"

evilelmo_2005

HSC
I mean, YOU HAVE to write down notes.

The teacher talks, and you write down notes on what he says.

What topic are you doing at the moment? Water? Where are you confused, I'll help a bit.

But you have to study, and really put a lot of effort. Just ask yourself this question: "What can I do to work harder in chemistry?"
nope i'm doing energy, I don't understand some water topic because I was on holiday for 2 weeks even after the holiday ended. I dun understand most of the water topic.....

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Yeh, we're up to energy too. Soz, I just assumed, most people are having lots of trouble with water.

Well, you obviously have to catch up.

How? Open the syllabus:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/chemistry_stg6_syl_03.pdf

and start making notes on the Water module.

All the information you need is in your text book.

Remember: They can only test you on WHATS in the SYLLABUS. The syllabus is your school bible.

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Yeh, we're up to energy too. Soz, I just assumed, most people are having lots of trouble with water.

Well, you obviously have to catch up.

How? Open the syllabus:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/chemistry_stg6_syl_03.pdf

and start making notes on the Water module.

All the information you need is in your text book.

Remember: They can only test you on WHATS in the SYLLABUS. The syllabus is your school bible.
DUDE THANKS MAN UR MY SAVIOUR!:haha:

lychnobity

HSC
Ok i'm in year 11 chemistry and i'm not doing so well in tests and assessments. Whenever i try studying chemistry, I don't even understand what the text book writes. Is there any good method/ways to understand chemistry or study chemistry?<!-- google_ad_section_end --> :confused:
I think your problem is one of two things: you don't understand the words the textbook uses, or, you're reading the passage, but you're not actively thinking about what it's trying to get you to understand.

Many students fall victim to the latter. You may read, but you've got to comprehend.

I would download some notes off the resources page, students often have a good way of saying things. And learning it from there. Note making isn't the only way, but is only beneficial if you have the time.

evilelmo_2005

HSC
I think your problem is one of two things: you don't understand the words the textbook uses, or, you're reading the passage, but you're not actively thinking about what it's trying to get you to understand.

Many students fall victim to the latter. You may read, but you've got to comprehend.

I would download some notes off the resources page, students often have a good way of saying things. And learning it from there. Note making isn't the only way, but is only beneficial if you have the time.
OMG UR RIGHT ABOUT THE 2 THINGS U SAID, I'm not understanding the words the textbook uses and I read the passage but I'm not actively thinking about what it's trying to get me to understand. Well afterall, English is my 3rd language and it sure does have complicated words:eek:

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Ouch, third language. That has to hurt. Do what lychno said, and look at study notes from other students.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah, I suck at Chemistry too. I think it's because I'm not naturally good at it.

trafficjam

HSC
I suggest trying to ask your teachers whatever you dont understand, especially when year 12 starts. If you feel embarassed, maybe you can approach him after class. For a lot of people, chemistry is much easier to understand when you have someone to explain it to you instead of just reading.

Just make sure you dont fall behind! Try to understand the concepts one by one as you go.

Feel free to pm me if you need any help. but i'm in year 12, so i may not be able to remember everything!

good luck!

daryl-d

HSC
who cares about year 11, just use the success one guide in yr12 along with a state rankers notes (which are found on the resouces page) and you'll do well at chem:)

trafficjam

HSC
I agree with the succes one and the notes being kickass.. but i think you should still care about year 11 :p Your yearlies are coming up so try to do well in it!
That way its easier for you to do well next year.

dekimasu

HSC
Chemistry is about the easiest course in the world. Just read the syllabus and it tells you exactly what you need to know. No crappy long questions in the exam, and no English style making up interpretations. What more do you want?

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
i always download cool study notes from BOS
& i got pretty cool mark .. i even came 2nd o_O

haha, that coz my class sucks .. my mark seems cool

smallsn

HSC
Dw Im with ya. I'm currently coming last in my half yearlies report. I was doing good with chemistry but i got dragged down with family problems and cannot keep up with my work. But i still try to listen to my teacher while she is teaching but she is Indian so i cannot really understand entirely :L

rawrawr

HSC
you could begin going to tutoring.
you can do textbook questions and look at the sample answers to better understand it. get one of your smarter friends to explain concepts you don't understand/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)