Year 11 Term 2 Physics Depth Study: Hand in & in class task (1 Viewer)

Admonks

HSC
I'm learning dynamics rn and I have a depth study as my next assessment task which is a hand in AND a in class task. I haven't got the formal notification by my teacher but I just want to know what it is about and how to maximise my marks for it because I want to get really good in it ! any advice is much appreciated

Thanks!

Chiprr

HSC
Do you know what the in-class task will be? If its a test, just try to access as many different question types as possible to spot patterns, but ensure the depth study component (assuming its worth more marks) is mostly completed and to a high standard when you start trying to do questions. This was my strategy, but it may not work for you.

My y12 task 2 was a depth study on the motor effect in which we had to build a motor and create a set of annotations for the motor outlining what each of the components did. The second part of the task was a test (which was created badly as it came from questions that we already had access to and it was focused on a single inquiry question) but I just tried to complete as many questions as possible. Managed to get 100% but the task was very easy to get high marks in.

Admonks

HSC
Do you know what the in-class task will be? If its a test, just try to access as many different question types as possible to spot patterns, but ensure the depth study component (assuming its worth more marks) is mostly completed and to a high standard when you start trying to do questions. This was my strategy, but it may not work for you.

My y12 task 2 was a depth study on the motor effect in which we had to build a motor and create a set of annotations for the motor outlining what each of the components did. The second part of the task was a test (which was created badly as it came from questions that we already had access to and it was focused on a single inquiry question) but I just tried to complete as many questions as possible. Managed to get 100% but the task was very easy to get high marks in.
When you say "Do you know what the in-class task will be?" do you mean the topics that it is assessing? if so, it will most likely be covering what we have learnt in class from the start of dynamics (we have finished inquiry question 1) I just learnt work and kinetic energy just a bit ago.

Chiprr

HSC
When you say "Do you know what the in-class task will be?" do you mean the topics that it is assessing? if so, it will most likely be covering what we have learnt in class from the start of dynamics (we have finished inquiry question 1) I just learnt work and kinetic energy just a bit ago.
I figured the task would be on dynamics and kinematics, was unsure if the in class component would be a test or presentation or something like that. Most likely to be a test though I would assume

Admonks

HSC
I figured the task would be on dynamics and kinematics, was unsure if the in class component would be a test or presentation or something like that. Most likely to be a test though I would assume
Im pretty sure its a test yeah it says in class test on the schedule. Should I just revise questions from what I have already learnt or should I do something else to maximise my marks

Chiprr

HSC
Im pretty sure its a test yeah it says in class test on the schedule. Should I just revise questions from what I have already learnt or should I do something else to maximise my marks
It’s pretty likely that the teacher will probably try to ask you unseen questions. Revising questions you have done already can benefit you a bit, but if you give me 10-15 minutes I’ll DM you a link to a google drive I have of resources my teacher gave our class in y11. It’s a bunch of unseen questions with worked solutions by module

Admonks

HSC
It’s pretty likely that the teacher will probably try to ask you unseen questions. Revising questions you have done already can benefit you a bit, but if you give me 10-15 minutes I’ll DM you a link to a google drive I have of resources my teacher gave our class in y11. It’s a bunch of unseen questions with worked solutions by module
please dm me that that would be so much appreciated and it will help me alot. Thank u so much

ChallowX

HSC
Could you please also dm that to me? I am also completing my term 2 depth study and am really stuck. Thanks!

Scrambled

HSC
Me too please! I don't even have a proper physics teacher so I'm scraping by for prelims-

iloveeggs

HSC
I'm learning dynamics rn and I have a depth study as my next assessment task which is a hand in AND a in class task. I haven't got the formal notification by my teacher but I just want to know what it is about and how to maximise my marks for it because I want to get really good in it ! any advice is much appreciated

Thanks!
hi, i had an almost identical sounding physics depth study last term. i'll tell you what mine was like and what i did for it.

so how depth studies in my school's sciences work is that we document our entire process in a log book (a loose structure sounds like: light research, deciding on what experiment and how you are going to do it, aim, hypothesis, risk assessment, finalised method and equiptment, actual experimental data and observations, results tables and graphs, discussion and conclusion). and then using our logbook we had a 45 minute validation exam with some questions on our results and the rest on concepts relating to the concept behind our depth study.

ours last term were on ideal and real life systems and how conservation of momentum and energy apply to them (this is mod 1/2 content). we went to luna park and took a video of the motion of one of the rides (we all did the hair raiser bc it was linear motion and its easy to analyse) and put it through a software which tracked the motion and gave us our data - this was our real-life model. then we made another set of data using the formulas (ideal model). then we analysed it all.

honestly speaking to maximise your marks in your depth study the best advice i could give you is please please please don't procrastinate in it (aka. leave it to the last 2 weeks) bc you will def miss the depth of research/analysis/understanding you need for it if you rush it. and if you are completely lost, which i was, you need to ask questions as you go along and make sure you understand everything that is going on. if you are working in groups you should try your hardest to be doing smth useful or observing details as best you can so you can mention any discrepancies/nuances in the method in your discussion. and finally ask your teacher as many questions as possible and ask nicely for feedback (some teachers might refuse to look through your logbook/work bc its a depth study but you can always ask for verbal feedback e.g. "i did xyz, is that smth you would recommend" or " what do you think is the best way to do xyz" just try to finesse them if they don't give you feedback basically). religiously refer to the marking criteria and go over and beyond to the best of your abilities bc its a DEPTH study.

feel free to ask any questions :)

iloveeggs

HSC
omg could you please send it to me 😭 i need all the help i could get my teacher doesn't know what she's doing

Admonks

HSC
hi, i had an almost identical sounding physics depth study last term. i'll tell you what mine was like and what i did for it.

so how depth studies in my school's sciences work is that we document our entire process in a log book (a loose structure sounds like: light research, deciding on what experiment and how you are going to do it, aim, hypothesis, risk assessment, finalised method and equiptment, actual experimental data and observations, results tables and graphs, discussion and conclusion). and then using our logbook we had a 45 minute validation exam with some questions on our results and the rest on concepts relating to the concept behind our depth study.

ours last term were on ideal and real life systems and how conservation of momentum and energy apply to them (this is mod 1/2 content). we went to luna park and took a video of the motion of one of the rides (we all did the hair raiser bc it was linear motion and its easy to analyse) and put it through a software which tracked the motion and gave us our data - this was our real-life model. then we made another set of data using the formulas (ideal model). then we analysed it all.

honestly speaking to maximise your marks in your depth study the best advice i could give you is please please please don't procrastinate in it (aka. leave it to the last 2 weeks) bc you will def miss the depth of research/analysis/understanding you need for it if you rush it. and if you are completely lost, which i was, you need to ask questions as you go along and make sure you understand everything that is going on. if you are working in groups you should try your hardest to be doing smth useful or observing details as best you can so you can mention any discrepancies/nuances in the method in your discussion. and finally ask your teacher as many questions as possible and ask nicely for feedback (some teachers might refuse to look through your logbook/work bc its a depth study but you can always ask for verbal feedback e.g. "i did xyz, is that smth you would recommend" or " what do you think is the best way to do xyz" just try to finesse them if they don't give you feedback basically). religiously refer to the marking criteria and go over and beyond to the best of your abilities bc its a DEPTH study.

feel free to ask any questions :)
Thank you so much for this information, I just received my notification last week and its on waves and light. We are also getting a logbook, should I just stick to what you have said to maximise my marks or should I do anything different because its on different modules?, I assume it would be the same thing tho so I will follow what you have said well thank you so much!

t234

HSC
using our logbook we had a 45 minute validation exam with some questions on our results
hii sorry for interrupting this convo - my phys depth study validation task will also allow us to take in our logbook, do you mind explaining the nature of these questions? because i’m kind of clueless abt how teachers are gonna test us on our investigations in the test when everyone’s doing different investigations

thank youuu (also luna park sounds fun 🤩)

iloveeggs

HSC
Thank you so much for this information, I just received my notification last week and its on waves and light. We are also getting a logbook, should I just stick to what you have said to maximise my marks or should I do anything different because its on different modules?, I assume it would be the same thing tho so I will follow what you have said well thank you so much!
i think it is pretty much the same, but like i said you should seek teacher guidance and go off your marking criteria as much as you possibly can. i find that depth studies in every school look very different because teachers expect different things, so make sure you cater for yours

iloveeggs

HSC
hii sorry for interrupting this convo - my phys depth study validation task will also allow us to take in our logbook, do you mind explaining the nature of these questions? because i’m kind of clueless abt how teachers are gonna test us on our investigations in the test when everyone’s doing different investigations

thank youuu (also luna park sounds fun 🤩)
i got a 3 marker on a challenge i faced and how i overcame it and a 4 marker on validity and reliability i believe, and i got another 25 or so marks on relevant topics like momentum, impulse etc. they do tend to ask broader questions about experiments that apply to everyone, so don't worry too much. if you're thorough tho, you should have a majority of the necessary info in your results and discussion part of your logbook and maybeyou could even do a few relevant worked examples of relevant questions you can refer to, like a cheat sheet, all inside your logbook but only if it helps.

t234

HSC
i got a 3 marker on a challenge i faced and how i overcame it and a 4 marker on validity and reliability i believe, and i got another 25 or so marks on relevant topics like momentum, impulse etc. they do tend to ask broader questions about experiments that apply to everyone, so don't worry too much. if you're thorough tho, you should have a majority of the necessary info in your results and discussion part of your logbook and maybeyou could even do a few relevant worked examples of relevant questions you can refer to, like a cheat sheet, all inside your logbook but only if it helps.
thank you so much!

Admonks

HSC
i think it is pretty much the same, but like i said you should seek teacher guidance and go off your marking criteria as much as you possibly can. i find that depth studies in every school look very different because teachers expect different things, so make sure you cater for yours
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)