Year 12 2009 (1 Viewer)

sirfeathers

HSC
Re: Year 12 in a week! why am I not scared?

HSC in a week. That's worth being scared about

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Doctor Jolly said:
That's 'cause they got 95!

I was speaking to a friend of mine today who got 99. something and she said that you don't have to worry about the HSC and that's it's a breeze. BUT I LIKE TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE!
95 is not that high either though...It's basically top 8% of the state.

Felix Jones

HSC

lyounamu said:
hhhmmmmm? wouldn't 95 be top 5%. where does the 8% come from..maybe im confused.

Mothers

Banned
HSC

lyounamu said:
Namu, UAI is a rank. A UAI of 95 means that you have beaten 95% of the state, meaning you are in the top 5%.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Mothers said:
Namu, UAI is a rank. A UAI of 95 means that you have beaten 95% of the state, meaning you are in the top 5%.
Wrong. There are other factors I heard that need to be taken into account, such as school certificate leavers, people leaving Year 11 etc.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Mothers said:
You don't know anything about UAI as it is evident from your post.

UAI is a rank, yes I knew that. But UAI of 95 means that you beat about 92% of the state - i.e. top 8% of the state.

It's a bit skewed as the UAI system takes into account of the yr 10 leavers - whom you are not competing against.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

x.Exhaust.x said:
Wrong. There are other factors I heard that need to be taken into account, such as school certificate leavers, people leaving Year 11 etc.
True. When Calculating the UAI, they use the results of everyone in the cohort who sat the School Certificate in Year 10 and predict what they would've gotten in the HSC. Then they get your actual results and compare it to all the predicted results and base your ranking on that. That's why not a lot of people get under 30 because the majority would have dropped out before the HSC.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
True. When Calculating the UAI, they use the results of everyone in the cohort who sat the School Certificate in Year 10 and predict what they would've gotten in the HSC. Then they get your actual results and compare it to all the predicted results and base your ranking on that. That's why not a lot of people get under 30 because the majority would have dropped out before the HSC.
Yeah, I wonder what my UAI would be if it was based on School Certificate.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

lyounamu said:
Yeah, I wonder what my UAI would be if it was based on School Certificate.
I'm pretty sure it'll be high, I mean - as long as you get a few band 6s - you'd be alright.

But the SC predictions wouldn't be accurate in my opinion - because most people didn't try in the school certificate - I know that I myself didn't put any effort into the school certificate.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

the-derivative said:
I'm pretty sure it'll be high, I mean - as long as you get a few band 6s - you'd be alright.

But the SC predictions wouldn't be accurate in my opinion - because most people didn't try in the school certificate - I know that I myself didn't put any effort into the school certificate.
I agree.

To the OP: If you're aiming for USYD Medicine, how are you not scared? It's a prestigious course where only a few people get accepted, when combined with another degree. Well you're pretty 'laid' back if you're not scared, UNLESS you're confident, which I'll admire :).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

x.Exhaust.x said:
I agree.

To the OP: If you're aiming for USYD Medicine, how are you not scared? It's a prestigious course where only a few people get accepted, when combined with another degree. Well you're pretty 'laid' back if you're not scared, UNLESS you're confident, which I'll admire :).
Too much confidence could lead to a lack of effort - which could lead to failure.

jellybelly59

HSC

x.Exhaust.x said:
I agree.

hahaha the median to get into usyd med is like 99.7 isn't it >.< and that's with a decent UMAT mark too lol

Aplus

HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:

Since SC is easy, wouldn't most people do pretty well in it, meaning that hypothetically, a high UAI would be hard to get, when compared with the rest of the state (ignoring drop outs and etc.)

shoutoutloud

HSC
Whats yours opinion?
For me:

I guess im starting to stress, i just brought exercise books and im starting to worry... We get the *shopping list* for text books next week when we return from school so yea...

let us know ur thoughts

HSC
N/A
yeh its pretty scary, all those years of schooling finally come down to this one final year, i never thought the time would come

i just want to get back to school and find out how i did in my prelims before i start worrying about the hsc, i gotta finalise subject selections and stuff

but yeh it'll feel weird when i get back to school and realise that the yr 12s are gone and my cohort is gonna become yr 12

good luck in yr 12 everyone :)

shoutoutloud

HSC
hey!
our school gave them before hoildays so we could reflect on them and make the right choice to drop, which for me is bio!

HSC
N/A
we had our prelims during the last two weeks of school.

i know ill be dropping physics tho regardless of my result :D (which will most definitely be crap)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
our exams were last 2 weeks of school so we haven't got reports/results back, they make us wait till after holdiays!

ratcher0071

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
our exams were last 2 weeks of school so we haven't got reports/results back, they make us wait till after holdiays!
that's the same with us. damn them :mad:

shoutoutloud

HSC
hmm... thats made me sorta relived that i dont have to panic. im a really stressy sort of person!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)