• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
pretty beast techniques. I just need to interlink it to the notions of journeys and should be fine.

dat confidence. :haha:
Thanks. I think you've got a greater chance of reaching 15 when you use something more than symbolism, similes, alliteration and metaphors.

And it shouldn't be too difficult to link it --> talk about his inner journey regarding his world and how he's constantly in denial ---> obstacles to his journey and represented as a conflict.

deswa1

HSC
who here asian fail english!!! (getting below 70 in their yearly report) xD

I AM!!
Haha at the 'asian fail'- dw, I'm sure you'll be fine- just put in a bit of effort and maybe you can salvage something. Are you in year 11 or 12?

CommunityFan

HSC
look at my hsc year =.=

yeah gonna hv to work hard for HSC and actually start putting effort to practise my timing and phrasing (I'm doing advanced btw)

deswa1

HSC
look at my hsc year =.=

yeah gonna hv to work hard for HSC and actually start putting effort to practise my timing and phrasing (I'm doing advanced btw)
Oh right, my bad lol. Yeah the internal timing is REALLY important so defs work on that. A lot of people spend even a few minutes too long on the first two essays which leaves you with less than 35 for the last (=not so good). Remember that the marks you gain from spending longer on one essay will not make up for the marks you lose on the others. Good luck though :)

What other subs are you doing and do you have any ideas about uni?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
This should probably go to the ATAR calculation section but I dont want to make another whole thread just for me whining.
On average what do 99.95ers get as their HSC mark (all moderated and stuff)
For example if I did:
4U Math
3U Math
Ext 1 Eng
Adv Eng
Economics
Chemistry
Physics

My second question is, if for 3U I end up 2nd internally by only a couple of points, yet everyone in my cohort does well in the External exam (I expect this), but I top the cohort externally, say I get 100 raw externally (a goal Im looking to reach), would my mark be HSC mark be 99? Because Im pretty sure my internal mark will be moderated to very high 90s due to quality of cohort and difficulty of tests. Moreover no matter how high my external is, the highest state rank I can achieve is 2nd right? (Im very happy but just theoretically speaking)

Question number 3 is: For extension 2 English, its only 1 unit worth, would it be wise to consider it despite the big workload attached to it and the fact that I most definitely will be aiming for state rank for 4U Math, will it interfere with other subjects alot?

Thanks and sorry for the huge wall of questions.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Well, for 99.95, you would need at least 95 in each subject - this mark requires consistancy because scaling slows down in the 90's for many subjects (like for MX1 and MX2, after 93ish, the scaling really stops having much of an effect). So, even if you get 99 in 8 units, but 92 in another, this could cause you to miss out on the 99.95 (not 100% sure on this, someone else could confirm maybe).

Try EE2 for a term and see how you go - its better to try then drop later then to not try and regret it later (you can always drop but its very hard to pick a subject up).

Thief

!!
HSC
It is given that f(x) = ax^3 + bx and that f (-1) = -11.
State the numeral coordinates of three points that the graph of y = f(x) passes through.

Answer: (0,0), (-1, -11), (1,11)

halp me pls

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It is given that f(x) = ax^3 + bx and that f (-1) = -11.
State the numeral coordinates of three points that the graph of y = f(x) passes through.

Answer: (0,0), (-1, -11), (1,11)

halp me pls
f(x) = x(ax^2 + b)

-11 = -(a+b) ==> a+b = 11.

Suppose f(1) = 11:

We also have a+b=11, so therefore that is a point too.

Thief

!!
HSC
I got to a + b = 11, but I don't really understand what that has to do with anything.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I got to a + b = 11, but I don't really understand what that has to do with anything.
a+b=11 is a condition that must hold for any point that lies on f(x).

We see that (1,11) also yields the same identity, so (1,11) must lie on f(x).

deswa1

HSC
@Thief- another way to do it that doesn't involve the a's and b's is as follows:

First note that f(x) is odd (only has terms in odd powers of x etc.). Now it is given that f(x) passes through (-1,-11). By the definition of an odd function, it must then also pass through (1,11). Also, odd functions pass through the origin but even if you didn't know this, its fairly straightforward to see that (0,0) satisfies f(x). Therefore f(x) passes through (-1,-11), (0,0) and (1,11) as required

HSC
Just had my 2U exam, did pretty well I think. Such a HUGE change from yesterday since the questions were pretty straightforward and I had over an hour to check.

Hoping for full or close to full marks if I don't make any silly mistakes (most likely will :()

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Haha shit - back from my 2U exam and Oh boy was it different to past papers. So different.

A lot more 'application/out of the box' questions that screwed me over fml. Almost every question was relatively hard.

I was working down to the last minute.

Grade average should be ~70%. I'm probs looking at ~ that.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to beat my 2U mark with my 3U one lol...

HSC
Do you remember any questions from the test?

Seems like everyone was in the same situation, ranking wise it's probably not as bad :)

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
You've got to remember that I'm not that great in maths in the first place - and I don't really remember any of the harder questions.

It's down to Tuesday's 3U exam to see if I get into 4U - worth 45%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)