Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (5 Viewers)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
But rote certain things i.e. it's not particularly needed to learn the proof of the perpendicular distance formula.
The things that you should 'rote' are things you use so much in exams and practise and whatnot, it comes automatic. For example using the distance formula or differentiation of , stuff that you use alot.
For example it would be really unwise to memorise the tangent to the parabola formulas (and all that stuff) for parametric representation, or to memorise the range of a projectile etc.

Though me being entirely against rote learning for everything costs me marks in the sciences where they demand you read the markers damn mind and do everything word for word.

HSC
The things that you should 'rote' are things you use so much in exams and practise and whatnot, it comes automatic. For example using the distance formula or differentiation of , stuff that you use alot.
For example it would be really unwise to memorise the tangent to the parabola formulas (and all that stuff) for parametric representation, or to memorise the range of a projectile etc.

Though me being entirely against rote learning for everything costs me marks in the sciences where they demand you read the markers damn mind and do everything word for word.
this, unfortunately :(

deswa1

HSC
Oh dear.

|Ax1+By1+C|/sqrt(a^2+b^2)
Haha I remember in one of our 3U tests, I kept using this formula wrong and kept getting the wrong answer. So I had to get the points, find the equation of the bisector, find point of intersection and then use ordinary distance formula to get the answer. 5 seconds later I realised what I was doing wrong :(

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Wow I need to stop r0te learning maths.

Maybe it won't work in years 11 and 12.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Haha I remember in one of our 3U tests, I kept using this formula wrong and kept getting the wrong answer. So I had to get the points, find the equation of the bisector, find point of intersection and then use ordinary distance formula to get the answer. 5 seconds later I realised what I was doing wrong :(
Too arduous for me. I'd rather just memorise it haha :)

I memorised cosine rule wrong for 2 tests in a row fml..

I wrote a^2=b^2+c^2+2bccosA lol.

wildchild666

HSC
omg ur shit

deswa1

HSC
Too arduous for me. I'd rather just memorise it haha :)

I memorised cosine rule wrong for 2 tests in a row fml..

I wrote a^2=b^2+c^2+2bccosA lol.
No that's my point lol- I do memorise it, I just kept using it wrong haha. I don't even know how to derive that one- maybe I could if I had to but I've never tried it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)