year 12 studying (1 Viewer)

beaubrah

HSC
starting year 12 soon and I wanna start fresh and be consistent with my marks and ranks. however in year 11 I'm fine with maths and English, however its biology and physics that I worry for. In prelim I attempted to study 45min study blocks for all my subjects but it felt I was learning the same content over and over again and the night before the exam felt like I was craming. So would you recommend doing 2hr blocks for 2 subjects so 4hours of study, knowing that the 45min block wouldn't work for me much. And if you did average in prelims does it show an indication on how well you would go in year 12 like I'm getting around 60-70% for exams so would that mean I'll be getting around that during year 12. sorry if the question is all over the place, just stressed. Thanks :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I did past papers in year 11 and I do well in them but in the exam it's different aha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd do past hsc / other school trials/assessment and hand them into your teacher to mark ...

So you can get a 'feel' for the types of questions they ask..

beaubrah

HSC
I'd do past hsc / other school trials/assessment and hand them into your teacher to mark ...

So you can get a 'feel' for the types of questions they ask..
oh I never handed some in aha. Well my plan for year 12 is

At school: Take notes, ask shitloads of questions, send past papers to teacher

At home: do 2 2hr study blocks so example I would do physics for 2hrs then 2hrs maths.

anything else you recommend I do

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
oh I never handed some in aha. Well my plan for year 12 is

At school: Take notes, ask shitloads of questions, send past papers to teacher

At home: do 2 2hr study blocks so example I would do physics for 2hrs then 2hrs maths.

anything else you recommend I do

Sounds pretty good :p ( You should be able to self mark your Mathematics)

I'd actual found I learnt more when doing memorising subject if I had a 5-10 minute break each hour, so I'd study then have a break for 5-10 minutes

If you don't 'know' something it doesn't matter if you do the exams open book.

Good luck :)

beaubrah

HSC
Sounds pretty good :p ( You should be able to self mark your Mathematics)

I'd actual found I learnt more when doing memorising subject if I had a 5-10 minute break each hour, so I'd study then have a break for 5-10 minutes

If you don't 'know' something it doesn't matter if you do the exams open book.

Good luck :)
yeah my plan is do 1hr then a 15min break then another hour then a 15min break etc

Narbs96

HSC
Unless you are certain you can maintain motivation throughout all of year 12 to do 4 hours of study everyday, start with something smaller.
Year 12 is by far the hardest, but yet absolute best year of school. You will challenge yourself and go through highs and lows. The trials are definitely the most eye-opening experience in relation to the HSC.
My main bit of advice would be go hard from the very start of year 12. The only way I have the ranks I do now (top 3 for everything) is because I played it smart from day 1 of year 12 whereas many people in my cohort didn't care a lot about term 1 assessments and only really started trying during the half yearlies. You would honestly be so surprised how important a 15% task is when you're in the last term of year 12. You going well in that task at the start of year 12 can be the difference between being ranked 2nd or 7th. It sounds dramatic but ranks are EXTREMELY important during year 12.
Also, play the system smart. For in class assessments lots of my teachers used past HSC exam questions. Have a look at some and if you cannot be bothered to write answers for all questions plan answers.
Remember, during year 12 you are competing with your peers. As in, if someone is close to your academic ability, DO NOT HELP THEM!
You will learn about Survival of the fittest in year 12 bio and honestly year 12 up until the trials is exactly like that! (hahaha)
As for bio, it is very hard. It is the subject I put the most time into and still only get average marks. For bio try obscure learning techniques.. draw labelled diagrams, tables, flowcharts and paste important bits of info around your house. Eg: On my pantry door is information about the immune response, famous scientists, DNA replication etc.
After the trials try and work out your uni preferences and submit your applications, including scholarship applications ASAP. There is nothing worse than the night of graduation having to write a portfolio for a scholarship application that is due in 2 days time. (personal experience)
I wish you the very best of luck for year 12!!! The next 12 months will be very challenging but also rewarding!

Oh and also, another bit of random advice: Involve yourself in as many school based extracurricular activities as possible! Especially if you plan on applying for scholarships.

Talia95

HSC
N/A
The best thing I did for studying was summarising everything I didn't know or quite understand. It reduced my stress because I knew exactly what to worry about rather than having this huge, vague anxiety about everything.
Don't cram stuff you already know just because it makes you feel like you're studying - it's a waste of time.

Smelly Cat

HSC
N/A
Don't stress too much - the most important thing to do is write your notes consistently for every subject and constantly revise everything you have done so far, maybe on the weekend. Do past papers consistently (at least do questions from the topics you have done) and if you get a question wrong or don't understand it, revise it and look at it again in a few days. As one of my teachers always said, to do well and get optimum marks you need CCP ("Consistency, Commitment & Perseverance!")... Lol good luck with everything, and make sure to take heaps of breaks and go out and do exercise and be healthy and just basically have a balanced life - if you do everything I said above with no breaks you are sure to burn out before the end so make sure to give yourself breaks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)