You *know* you're a physics nerd when... (1 Viewer)

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
alcalder said:
  • The idea of doing hours of Physics questions fills you with excitement and not dread.
  • You read Wikipedia on an unrelated topic and find yourself perusing physics topics nonetheless.
  • You can successfully argue that maths is only a tool for physicists and a means to an end.
ive spent aeons arguing with my teacher that maths came from physics thus i shud spend more time doing phsyics hw than maths

love physics cant imagine a life without it ... lol like i wrote in my refernce sheet to be accepted at an event at UNSW physisc governs my life :rofl:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
when you calculation angle in gunbound...

when you calculate angle when you chuck a grenade in CS

when you see mario jumping back and start to criticise how impossible that is

when you see AND hear big explosions in star wars/trek, and you laugh the hell out of yourself

when you can calculate speed of light use maxwell's equations

Bel_T

HSC
When you notice that the bridge to the station is shaking because the juniors are running across it at the right frequency (as Teddy noticed :p)
When you jump on and off a swing repeatedly to experiment, with your sibling who is also a physics nerd, Newton's Third Law of Motion
When you use your knowledge of projectile motion to catapult your rubber to your friend's desk on the other side of the room...
Man I feel nerdy XD

thehootman

HSC
When you are coming 2nd at a selective school

When you cry when you realise that the real world isnt like "magic vacuum land" like in the year 12 syllabus.

When you make an induction coil at home and set it up, running, as an ornament.

When you calculate the amount of plutonium you would need to create a fission reaction to evaporate the world's oceans.

HSC
sorry but there's nothing special about second in something at a selective school. there are several people on this board who have not only came first in better selective schools than you, but in more than one subject too.

Last edited:

thehootman

HSC
Did i ever say that it was "special"? No. I did not. The topic title is referring to physics nerdyness, and you cannot come 2nd in physics at a selective schools without being a nerd, because how well you do depends on how much work you do, not just natural ability.

And you must have some issues, if you cant cope with other people's happiness in their achievments.

T

Testpilot

thehootman said:
When you cry when you realise that the real world isnt like "magic vacuum land" like in the year 12 syllabus.
I, like watatank, have a problem with this post. If you cry because the 'real world' is different to a physics textbook you really need to man up. You might also be interested to know that the 'real world' is different to any textbook, no matter the subject.

EDIT:I just realised the importance of commas, especially in the first sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
you used too many commas. well i thought one comma would've sufficed.

thehootman said:
Did i ever say that it was "special"? No. I did not. The topic title is referring to physics nerdyness, and you cannot come 2nd in physics at a selective schools without being a nerd, because how well you do depends on how much work you do, not just natural ability.

And you must have some issues, if you cant cope with other people's happiness in their achievments.
you must forgive me, i have issues. i went to a selective school and didn't come anywhere near the top in any of my subjects, let alone second. i even came last in one of my subjects. i came 20th out of 70 or so in physics. i admit it, im jealous. happy? :mad:

p.s. nothing wrong with being happy about your achievements. its just the way you posted sounded a bit wankerish :rofl:

p.p.s. the person who came first in my school in physics was no nerd. :uhhuh:

Last edited:

morganforrest

HSC
Physics isn't a subject, it's a lifestyle!!!

Lol....my girlfriend has Newton's cradle on her bedside table....she wins in nerdiness factor

Teddy Lee

HSC
Bel_T said:
When you notice that the bridge to the station is shaking because the juniors are running across it at the right frequency (as Teddy noticed :p)
When you jump on and off a swing repeatedly to experiment, with your sibling who is also a physics nerd, Newton's Third Law of Motion
When you use your knowledge of projectile motion to catapult your rubber to your friend's desk on the other side of the room...
Man I feel nerdy XD
I was going to fondly recall the incident where the bridge reached its natural (or near enough) frequency!! (But you beat me to it!)

AND

I was also going to write about the nerdiness of you and your brother on the swing. (But you've taken that too..)

I think SOMEONE is my physics kindred spirit.

See you in physics!! <3

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hee hee. I just had to add this one.

You argue in a topic called "You *know* you're a physics nerd when..." about the number of commas and how nerdy you are. ;)

And from somewhere esle I posted:

You are being pulled down a hill by your shopping trolley and you are contemplating the vector addition of forces needed in order to achieve a certain direction of motion.

You aren't teaching Physics and you would prefer to be teaching physics.

Hallatia

HSC
the most bizarre thing is that I think about fizzix laws often, in a lot of aspects of life, they will not leave me alone, lol, but I wish I was a fizzix nerd, I am doing nowhere near well enough in it to call myself a fizzix nerd
friction is the biggest one which I think about, also projectile motion, you just see it all the time and Einstein's thought experiments, I cannot hep thinking about x-rays, fields and magnets either because I kind of killed a camera memory card whilst making a motor lol

Wyvern02

HSC
when you realized that posting in this thread makes you a nerd by giving all the answers

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
you know your a physics nerd when your in the bath tub and you know that you are buoyed up by a force equil to the weight of the fluid displaced by you.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:
you know your a physics nerd when your in the bath tub and you know that you are buoyed up by a force equil to the weight of the fluid displaced by you.
actually, the difference between the mass of the air and the mass of the fluid =p

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
You know when your a physics nerd when you correct someone about physics ;)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:
You know when your a physics nerd when you correct someone about physics ;)
ok... im a physics nerd =]

actually more like a science fanatic =p

HSC
N/A
When you see those "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you!" signs on trucks, you think to yourself that they're not completely correct, and they should instead say "If you can't see my eyes in my mirror, I can't see your eyes in my mirror."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)