Your favourite book! (1 Viewer)

muldersgun

HSC
1984, thought provoking, intense, and no cop-out ending. I think its the best dystopic future novel ever.

Others:
Neither here nor there - Bill Bryson - the funniest travel book ever written
LOTR - nuff said
Prisoner of Azkaban - a load of ppl like Gob of fire better but i think this was a far superior book. Plus it was a load shorter.
The man with the golden gun - Ian Fleming - possibly the best bond book.
Boy - Roald Dahl - one of my fav autobiographies

There are prolly loads of other books i like but i've got a bad memory.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Fave Books;

Wild Swans by Jung Chang
Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Harry Potter Series
Anything written by V.C. Andrews

Leanne

HSC
ok, well i loved 'looking for alibrandi' by melina marchetta as well, and i'm soo glad that it wasnt an hsc text for me!

the diary of anne frank is also a favourite- when i read it as a young teenager i felt as though i could totally relate to annes personal problems- and of course i got a personal perspetive on the war

and i reckon i liked 'brave new world' by aldous huxley, even after studying it. it was soo very clever- and so much of it has already come true!

PRSOV

My fave book of all time would have to be "The Thirteenth Night" by Jan McNess which she told the story about the life from birth death of her son who died in an F-111 accident and how she got through the loss of dealing with losing something which had some much potential. A very sad story...but its something I believe in

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I think I'm the only person who doesn't love Harry Potter and Looking for Alibrandi...
Looking for Alibrandi's OK, probably one of the better teen novels out there, but I guess it's just not to my taste.

I've never understood the whole "Harry Potter" obsession. I've read several of the books, but I just don't get why everyone loves it?
Some one explain... anyone?

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... greatest book of all time... and one of the best movies ever too!!!

Leanne

HSC
i liked harry potter....but not to an obsession......the childlike nature aggravates me....i like to read something challenging!!!

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
anything by Michael Moore...

jus got the new book, Dude, Where's my country.. its v good. Stupid White Men was brilliant.

spark

I'll be reading alot during the holiday break but here are some of my favourites

The Beach - Alex Garland
Animal Farm - Orwell
The Pearl - Steinbeck
The Virgin Suicides - Eugenides
High Fidelity - Hornby

spark

Yes, its by Jeffrey Eugenides. I loved the film adaption as well (it inspired me to read the book) - very haunting :)

LiLLy_H

HARRY POTTER!
Love them...but then again who wouldn't. All 5 books have sold more than 210 million copies around the world.
The Prisoner or Azkaban is by far the best. So many surprises.

Jennifer3386

Chinese Cinderella was a fantastic (and really sad novel) - it had me in a bad mood for the next week!

I also loved THE HOURS by Michael Cunningham (now a very successful movie). Has anyone else really enjoyed the novel? Read it.

I'm in the middle of reading Stupid White Men (two thumbs up) and I've got to admit I love Harry Potter, just absolutely love it.

I found To Kill a Mockingbird a bit over-rated - anyone else agree?

Last edited:

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
ive got stupid white men reserved at the library and im starting high fidelity.. its really good!!!... i think im gunna like it

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I likea myriad (alot alot alot) of books. Too many to list off the top of my head

Chinese Cinderella had to be one of the most awesome storylines i have ever encountered. Though the writing could have been more emotive to exemplify the point, though as it stood,this book had me in tears like no other. The next book oewh cant remember name was equally powerful ext of the 1st.

Lord of the Rings

Willow Tree and Olive.

Anything by Isobelle Carmody, especially the Obernewtyn series...I'm avidly awaiting the next book, and reccomend to anybody who likes mystique type books to read NOW!

Janet Evanovich..ah forget the series name..the chick who's a bounty hunter. Crazy plot line though by book seven gets a little repetitive.

Robert Ludlum seizes a true sense of liternary mastermind in his burne identity trilogy

the Seven Water trilogies

classics...The Scarlett Letter, books by the Bronte sisters (wuthering heights, emma, jane eyre, pride and predijuice).

One of the funniest books of all time, closely followed by its second..One Dead Seagull and White Dreaming

Bryce Courtenay...I read the power of one to start with and got hooked: Tandia, potato factory, tommo and hawke.
Truly brilliant books... lol... notice the ever present jew character, the noxtulent bad character who is really vying to become good underneath hmm and referneces to boxing....
I agree on the over rating of to kill.... it was a fantastic book though not as brilliant a work as it was hyped to be

Last edited:

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Looking For Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Saving Franscesca by Melina Marchetta
Cant decide on those 3, there so good.

Katgurl

Originally posted by Jennifer3386
Chinese Cinderella was a fantastic (and really sad novel) - it had me in a bad mood for the next week!

I also loved THE HOURS by Michael Cunningham (now a very successful movie). Has anyone else really enjoyed the novel? Read it.

I'm in the middle of reading Stupid White Men (two thumbs up) and I've got to admit I love Harry Potter, just absolutely love it.

I found To Kill a Mockingbird a bit over-rated - anyone else agree?

I really liked "chinese cinderella". and i loved "The Hours", i read it after watching the movie and thought it was fantastic, reading it made the movie even better.
Is it really true ... Isobelle Carmody is finally going to finish the Obernewtyn series!?!?!?

But the best series of all is the Tomorrow series!

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
ohh i just recently bought "the hours", so il be reading it soon.

And yeh the tomorrow series rules!!.. today i went to buy "while i live" the first book in the ellie chronicles... but instead i got distracted and ended up buying "sleepers" by Lorenzo Carcaterra and "silence of the lambs" by thomas harris.... Just started reading sleepers, and so far its pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)