Your first day at uni (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
To be honest, I have absolutely NO idea how to do this. Is this a physics question? (I have no background with physics whatsoever except 3U and 4U maths).

IamBread

HSC
Yeah it is, I'm basically in the same boat right now, so is pretty much everyone else. I was talking to people about it today, they seemed to think it wouldn't move, but I'm not sure...

IamBread

HSC
Not sure, he just gave that too us at the start of the first lecture to do when we get bored lol.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Yeah it is, I'm basically in the same boat right now, so is pretty much everyone else. I was talking to people about it today, they seemed to think it wouldn't move, but I'm not sure...
Fuck that question is driving me crazy

HSC
seriously though

i cannot get over the amount of attractive women in this course

Before this semester I've had eight subjects, and all of them are male dominated. Closest to parity would be SCIF which was like 65-35. Then you have like things like maths which was like 90-10.

And now in English, it's like 15-85 or so. I guess I'm just on a high because you know... seriously, a subject with like 85% women is every like... Engineering student's dream. and i sympathise with that being in a maths course.
Lots of girls in biological sciences - noticed it at uts and have noticed it here as well. Also, PLENTY of girls do microbiology - I don't know why that is (maybe it's more to do with being a 'visual' sort of science and not so much theoretical? *shrugs*), but even in the work place it's a very female dominated place to be. I guess I don't help with adding +1 female statistic to (micro)biological sciences xD

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I remember that question when I did physics. In 4-5 weeks the lectures will be 75% more empty because the subject is very difficult and Joe Wolfe is a terrible educator.

HSC
I remember that question when I did physics. In 4-5 weeks the lectures will be 75% more empty because the subject is very difficult and Joe Wolfe is a terrible educator.
he has personality, which is entertaining

but i can't really judge his lecturing ability for now at least

IamBread

HSC
Really? He seems good to me lol. Then again I've only really had the 1 lecture.

IamBread

HSC
Fuck that question is driving me crazy
Haha I know right! It's so annoying! I'm not sure how to answer it, I have an idea but I can't seem to get it, maybe once we learn a bit it'll all become obvious...

TheStallion

HSC
Fuck they must recycle that question hardcore, I had it for PHYS1131 too, it's really simple when you think about it.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Haha I know right! It's so annoying! I'm not sure how to answer it, I have an idea but I can't seem to get it, maybe once we learn a bit it'll all become obvious...
I'm positive I know how to get the answer now i'm just not sure how to establish a time variant function that accounts for the the loss of water in the tank so when t approaches infinity displacement is limited.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Does it move?
Yeh It has to move to the left, mainly logic frictionless force water move to the right needs an opposite force to conserve momentum in the system.

But also mathematically, no external horizontal forces on the tank, therefore using f=ma applied horizontally you get 0 = (M+m)a meaning a net zero acceleration on the both tank and water but we know water has to accelerate to the right at one stage so tank must accelerate to the left to keep it zero.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The guy is entertaining but he can't teach.
If you are a really smart student, he is probably a great teacher. If you are 'average' at his level of uni physics as 90%+ of people are, then he goes over everyones head.

IamBread

HSC
Yeh It has to move to the left, mainly logic frictionless force water move to the right needs an opposite force to conserve momentum in the system.
I thought it would but the amount of being saying it doesn't started to make me think about that lol.

But also mathematically, no external horizontal forces on the tank, therefore using f=ma applied horizontally you get 0 = (M+m)a meaning a net zero acceleration on the both tank and water but we know water has to accelerate to the right at one stage so tank must accelerate to the left to keep it zero.
The only force acting on the system is gravity, which is providing a force F=Mg on the water, F=(M+m)g in total. The gravity then pushes the water to right, pushing the cart to the left. The generated force is v*dM/dt (where v is the velocity of the water), so the force on the tank is

I'm not too sure if that is right, just had that thought through my head.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)