your opinion on tutoring... (1 Viewer)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Depends on what the tutor is like, I guess. Have had tutors that never made a difference in my grades, then again last yr I had a really good eng tutor, was expecting at least 8-9 marks below than what I actually ended up with.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
What would an english tutor really do for you though? There aren't really any concepts to explain...
i've got 1..she makes me do essays every week and helps me with things from skool...they just basically help you to do essays...skills basically

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
When l was in Year 7 l went to a very bad school and the maths teacher l had taught us our 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 times tables. Oh and we also learned to identify shapes like circle, triangle, rectangle and square.

When l came to my new school (Mamre) l was put into the advanced class. Never having used a textbook before, the instant l walked into the class l was lost. I had to look onto the persons work next to me to understand what was going on.

We first did percentages, fractions and decimals. I had no idea what these were so my mum took me to tutoring after getting 10-20% on my first test.

My tutor taught me fractions, percentages and decimals and l am so happy she helped me, other wise l would have "drowned" in maths.

I started tutoring again at the start of Year 11 (l am now in year 12) and l don't regret it one bit. Its just revision for me and l have one step ahead of everyone else in my class.

Leng

No tutoring!

I've never had tutoring and I do fine. I can't aford to pay someone an obscene amount of money to give me more questions to do. I'd rather spend the money on textbooks/past papers - it gives the same affect.

If you force yourself to do enough of the questions, you'll eventually start getting them right. IF you keep on doing it, you'll eventually get more right.

Iunny

I don't work, so i go to tutoring, that way, its a guarantee work time. I also don't study until last minute, liek the night before.

I found out that you can't cram for physics, i got 50% for all my exams in yr 11. Then i started tutoring, and that forced me to do work every week. My current marks are 80%

There are many benefits to tutoing, different ppl go for different uses, you really have to think what you are lacking.

But then again, if half the ppl tutors in yr 12, you would want to get some too. Might motivate you and encourage you. You might be slightly, "disadvantaged" if you don't.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
the benefits of tutors are proportional to the amount of work you put in yourself...

if you don't work at school, go to tutor and not do any work there, then nothing is going to help you

if u do a bit of work at school, use a tutor to get a more detailed grasp of ideas, then it is of great benefit...
otherwise you are wasting money, better spent on a movie ticket and a combo pack of popcorn + drink + lollies :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Is that directly or indirectly proportional?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
lol i was gonna use some economics too :)

the opportunity costs of not going to tutor would be watchin a movie :)

Kulazzi

HSC
My dad is thinking of sending me to maths and english tutoring as of next term so he can expect me to become "top of the class" since I'm not right at the top now :rolleyes:

But I think it will really help me and boost my marks :D :D

is a roflcopter
HSC
its a neccesary evil
the popularity of it means you are at a disadvantage if you dont go

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
you are at a disadvantage if you dont go
i disagree. i've never felt disadvantaged and my marks don't suffer as a result of not having a tutor. it might be helpful for you but it's definitely not necessary. hmm, yeah, i want tutoring because every1 else has it...

is a roflcopter
HSC
you may disagree but my point is especially relevant at your school

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
my point is especially relevant at your school
haha. yes, most people have tutoring. but that doesn't put you at a disadvantage if you don't have tutoring and you didn't need it to start with.
you're perpetuating a misconception and probably making it worse by convincing some poor BOS users that they must get themselves tutors... :D

is a roflcopter
HSC
*ahem*
im available for 15/hr.........

you saw through my plan
shhhhhhhhh

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
im available for 15/hr.........
hey, you're pretty cheap... ;)
if you were any good, i might have to rethink my position on tutoring.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
my parents r like get a tutor get a tutor but i thibk it depends on u and stuff i personally dont think they r that good, but if u were like struggling adn stuff they could help ya

felafel

i say pay attention in class, and you don't need a tutor. the only good thing i think about tutors is that they make you do work, and if it's one on one, you can't fall asleep!

KfWang

ive gone through tutor after tutor in my years lol.. and still doing it now!!! DAMN U HSC!!!
and i have one thing to say,.. only take the tutoring if the atmosphere is unlike that from school...
im going to two tutoring places:
1) Kip McGrath in Parramatta
2) ETLC in Eastwood

im not sure about other people, but the tutoring at Eastwood is too much like a classroom atmosphere to me, and sitting through 3 hours of maths gets too tedious for my little mind
Kip McGrath has the best teacher in it, lol and the classes are really small and relaxed so its nothing like school and i actually enjoy it ME.. ENJOYING SCHOOLING LOL ..

you only really improve in something if you like what your doing, so i suggest to those doing tutoring to find somewhere they like and stick to it.. and dont take up a tutor because others say it is good, whats trash to one man may be treasure to another!!

my 2 cents :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)