Your top 25 videogames of all time (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Well the only real brush I've had with Zelda are in 2D format. I found A Link to the Past to be bloody boring. That was pretty disappointing, I'm a big fan of action RPGs and it's heralded as one of the best SNES titles ever, and certainly one of the most successful video game franchises. Been about 2 years since I've played it, I'll give it a shot again soon. I guess I'm not patient enough to do all the puzzles and backtracking and all that.

Minish Cap was pretty much the same kind of experience, and most people seem to disregard all the Capcom produced ones.

Will be playing Ocarina (which I'm rather excited about) and Majora soon enough. And if you're getting a Wii, that's convenient enough, you'll be able to download both of them as well as A Link to the Past and put them on your Virtual Console when they come out. Twilight Princess looks promising indeed, I'd definitly love to give it a go.

And FFVI, I never really "got" what was so good about that game, and what could make it better than VII. Most Final Fantasies and in general Japanese RPGs I find to be gash nowadays, the only reason why FFVII is there on the list is because of the phenomenal soundtrack and it charmed me when I was in the 6th grade.

Haven't been fortunate to play Metroid Prime, I can't find it anywhere in the stores. I borrowed my cousin's GC to play Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, and that whole light/dark aether was really offputting. And the backtracking, christ. I much prefer the 2D incarnations of the game.

Aye, fuck, I forgot all about Alpha 3.:rolleyes: You can pretty much disregard that list, it's a bit of a mess and needs some cleaning up. Once I spend some good time with a modded xbox and it's emulators I'll be able to give pretty much everything a good go, sans GC and PS2 titles, as well as most modern PC games. And the Saturn.

ODST05

HSC
N/A
wow! hasnt anyone here heard of the worlds best selling game - halo 2? the closest was halo at #7 in hotshot's list... thats sad, although there are alot of good games out there nowdays...still

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Heard of it, love it, great game. Exceptional game if you're a 13 year old fat American kid who plays over Live.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok, this is a list that is currently in development. It needs more thought and isn't complete or ordered. So ignore this for now, it's more for my reference.

Monkey Island Series
Deathrow
Day of the Tentacle
Gears of War (haven't played enough yet)
College Hoops 2k7
NFL 2k5
Final Fantasy VIII
Dead Rising (haven't played enough yet)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Grand Theft Auto 3 and onwards
Syberia 1 and 2
Grim Fandango
Can't remember title - asked it on another forum
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey/Exodus
Oddworld: Much's Odyssey
Oddworld Stranger (listed them all seperately because I think I can rank them differently)
Splinter Cell
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Counter Strike

I'm sure more will come to me.

Last edited:

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
That game under-performed in my opinion. I prefer Morrowind over it, but then that is a contender for my favourite game ever.. that, Zelda OoT and FFX

stazi

Nightman
HSC
GaDaMIt said:
That game under-performed in my opinion. I prefer Morrowind over it, but then that is a contender for my favourite game ever.. that, Zelda OoT and FFX
did you play it on a maxed out PC or a 360? I found it to be soooooo incredibly amazing. I played Morrowind, too, and really enjoyed it, but Oblivion blew it out. Completely. It improved upon Morrowind in almost every way. I have literally put in 100 hours of gameplay into it.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
did you play it on a maxed out PC or a 360? I found it to be soooooo incredibly amazing. I played Morrowind, too, and really enjoyed it, but Oblivion blew it out. Completely. It improved upon Morrowind in almost every way. I have literally put in 100 hours of gameplay into it.
Didnt really like the story line .. overly fantasy for me. Morrowind was the first game i ever truely played a lot so i had really high expectations for oblivion. Ive played it on a good PC. Its just with oblivion all the good aspects had been covered in Morrowind imo, so it wasnt too exciting, unlike morrowind the first time i played

ive put in maybe 60 or so hours into oblivion, to me it seems like theres so much more to do in morrowind, where ive had several characters complete the game basically 100% with all the side missions i could come across completed. Morrowind ive played in excess of 200 hours over the past several years

and goddamn those gates of oblivion are just plain stupid. Ive done all the main guilds and stuff .. up to the gates in the main quest. They're like .. way too hard, all you need is shitloads of money = shitloads of health pots = easy. Its not that i dont like the game, its just morrowind is loads better imho

Edit: about the last point, i also meant to say that (not that it isnt the same with morrowind) money making is so lame. Kill dudes with daedric, then go sell then buy the pots. I dont see any other way of defeating the oblivion gates. Its just boring imo .. morrowind is a lot better. Money isnt such a necessity thus u dont go around doing lame shit like that.

Maybe i like it more coz it was a game i played when i was younger? I dont play games that much anymore, but i still maintain that morrowind is a better game

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, I agree with you about the gates. although my character can complete them all very easily, but they do piss me off. I just don't like the atmospheric change.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
yeah, I agree with you about the gates. although my character can complete them all very easily, but they do piss me off. I just don't like the atmospheric change.
Theres not a single thing i dislike about Morrowind... aside from the constant errors getting you out of the game and closing the game automatically, but that exists, although not as badly, within Oblivion

hahaha cant remember what its called anymore, something like Windows has encountered a problem

stazi

Nightman
HSC
GaDaMIt said:
Theres not a single thing i dislike about Morrowind... aside from the constant errors getting you out of the game and closing the game automatically, but that exists, although not as badly, within Oblivion

hahaha cant remember what its called anymore, something like Windows has encountered a problem
xbox reprezent. no errors for me :D i remember being a bit too overwhelmed by the scope of morrowind though. the land seemed way too large.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Nevermind oblivion/morrowind. As soon as im over and done with this speculation imagination english speech next tuesday ill be concentrating all my efforts into Zelda: twilight princess :)

EDIT: Also have to say lolololol at morrowinds alchemy
Make some intelligence pots = higher intelligence = make more intelligence pots with constantly increasing benefits = 10000000000+ intelligence in no time

then make one for your speed, tap to run in some direction, and wah-la Windows has encountered a problem

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I have the game, but no Wii :( I've never actually played a Zelda game.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
I have the game, but no Wii :( I've never actually played a Zelda game.
you missed out in the days of Nintendo 64 :) I prefer the n64 link over the wii link. He looks cooler

EDIT: seeing as you havent played, you mightn't be aware, but Link is the main guy you control in the games :p You probably knew that though

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
haha yes i did know hat. Also, I bought Legend of Zelda on GC so that I could play it on the wii as well. And Res Evil 4 :D Now all I need is Eternal Darkness and Killer 7 and all the GC games I could possibly want will be in my posession

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Ive never played the wind waker game. Graphics look too distorted for my liking

And when do you plan on getting your wii?

Last edited:

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
tetris
sims
sims 2
hl2
spyro the dragon
pokemon
mario
mario party
ut goty
ut 2004
cs
bf2
empire earth
wc3
fear

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
(play these games!!)

25. Rival Schools: United by Fate (Playstation 1997)

The only 3D fighter I’ve ever really come to like. Mainly because it was made by Capcom, so the characters could still perform hadouken-style projectiles. And not being near as deep as Soul Calibur or anything like that, though I was dammn near unstoppable in the game and that bias towards Capcom makes it superior to all other 3D fighters to me. Never really did have the patience to learn how to play other, deeper 3D fighters anyway.

24. Seven Kingdoms (PC 1997)

An RTS that is quite different from the bunch that I played during the 90’s when I was a big fan of them. Seven Kingdoms relied on keeping your kingdom happy, establishing trade, sending spies, conquering towns and training your troops as opposed to mining and collecting materials, make units come out of a building by paying materials and attacking the other team with them. The game definitely had it’s flaws though, shame it wasn’t topped with a worthy sequel.

23. Super Metroid (Super Nintendo 1994)

One of the first games I’ve played that used music effectively to create a certain atmosphere that isn’t Nintendo-esque ghey. Creepy music and sci-fi beeps blips and blasts all come together in a stellar fashion. Controls are great and easy, and the free roaming gameplay of the game was really quite refreshing at the time.

22. Halo: Combat Evolved/Halo 2 (XBOX 2001)

I'm far from a huge FPS fan, but this game I play quite often with the friends. The features, physics and overall feel of the game I don't find as appealing as Unreal Tournament, it feels much too slow, but the friends never caught onto Unreal and PC fps in general. Aside from that, a solid single player campaign which I really enjoyed, and the graphics at the time were incredible (wow, look at the water!) The theatrics I fell for as well, when that theme music kicks in you know you’re about to do something bad, something real bad.
Halo 2 I’ve played more multiplayer, but it’s the first that really got my attention.

21. Seiken Densetsu 3 (Super Nintendo 1995)

A game strong in its replayability. The story is pretty tame, characters are boring but it’s the combat and the class change aspects that really make this game great. Pick three from six characters and have them branch off into different classes, which leads to different abilities and magic, etc. With that, you can play the game over and over with different sets. A neat feature is you can have three players playing the game at one time.

20. Metal Slug Series (Neogeo Engine 1996-Present)

Embodies everything an arcade coin-op should. Fast, frantic gameplay, easy to pick up but hard to master, and quadruple the fun with a second player. Also has that unique signature style that many have tried to copy, but this remains at the top. The graphics have aged so well as it’s still a pretty sight to look at after all these years. I discovered and played to death this marvel of a series through emulation, lucky for me, if I was to have a run through Metal Slug 3 (my personal favourite, no surprises) all the way through I’d be down about $33 at the end of the game. Just pop a coin in and let loose, great fun. (Metal Slug Anthology is coming out on the Wii a compilation of MS games throughout it’s history, get it!)

19. Unreal Tournament (PC 1999)

King of all FPS for me. Game runs hard and fast, that “keep-moving” sensation runs through you as you enter an arena full of enemies. This FPS just has everything I like about the genre, varied balanced armory, fast, mobile, and the option for team based action where working together is essential.

18. Ikaruga (Dreamcast 2001)

Posted this earlier:

It's just a beautifully presented game, and the simplicity of it all ties in with the artistic direction so well. It's just one of those games where rhythm is completely paramount, without it there's no way to enjoy the game. For me personally, it has a way of kind of tapping into my primal 'will to survive' kind of thing, which is pretty much like most plane shooters (getting that "rush" trying to dodge bullets and all that) but the light/dark switch adds another dimension to it all. It's hard as fuck, mainly because I don't have that sense of "rhythm" that masters of this game do have. When playing the game, since I'm not good at it at all, I tend to disregard the combo system and rely purely on staying alive (a complete mess to watch, but gives me a good rush)

And yes, I probably do enjoy watching good players play the game, than actually play it myself. I can't name another game that happens with.

17. Chrono Trigger (Super Nintendo 1995)

Big fan of the music in this game, it all ties very well. Interesting battle play, great storyline and characters make for a memorable RPG. The introduction of the time shifting was smooth, as well.

16. Final Fantasy VII (Playstation 1997)

One game that really raked me in as a youngster, now one of the biggest (and rather overrated in my opinion) franchises the gaming world has to offer. It’s a game and a franchise that I don’t care too much about nowadays, but no doubt this is the game that I played the most back in 1999-2000. Looking back at the game itself, it’s nothing more than a big melting pot of cheese, really. It would’ve made a fine B-grade anime movie and all, but hey, I enjoyed it! The music is the thing that sticks out the most here, and with most Square related games, the first thing I tend to look at. Uematsu has created a score to suit every scenario, from the rush of adrenaline with fights against J-E-N-O-V-A, or the sad bittersweet death of that Aeris girl. But err yeah, average game, with probably the best soundtrack I’ve ever heard in a game. Great characters, too.

15. Tetris Attack (Super Nintendo 1995)

Miles better than the original, there I said it. Tetris Attack is such a fun 2 player game which mixes it’s simple yet hard to master interface with fast action. A puzzle game for people who don’t like puzzle games.

14. Kirby Superstar (Super Nintendo 1996)

Easy as fuck, I know, but c’mon! A game that shines in co-op mode, and with a vast array of powers each with their own unique moveset, there’s plenty to do and much to see. Not to mention the 5+ game modes to play through, the trophies to collect, bosses to beat (amazing how much influence this has on Smash Bros. Melee) and minigames to play. And the minigames are great party games in their own sense, that Samurai one and the Megaton Punch in particular. Brilliant game.

13. Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX 2002)

“Can’t do graffiti if you got no soul, know what I’m sayin’?”
This game just oozes class and cool. It’s all about the attitude and with the cel-shaded graphics and amazing soundtrack this is where the heart of the game truly lies. Both these two components complement each other so well. Controlling a character is fun and easy. And if you just stand still and not press a button for a few minutes, you character will start to dance to the background music. How cool is that?

12. Super Punch-Out!! (Super Nintendo 1994)

Forget fucking Fight Night and all that just for a second, get your teeth into this one! Something so completely original, and addictive. You play as a boxer looking to rise the ranks, and will fight many different opponents, unique in style, appearance, technique and temperament. Use your head and reflexes to fight off your opponents, and devise a different plan for each foe you fight. It’s this, along with the smooth gameplay response that makes this refreshing in comparison to other boxing games.

11. Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy (Super Nintendo 1988(??))

Completely off tangent, non sequential, big colourful and gay as anything, what the fuck is going on here let me know please?!
Parodius is basically a spin off to the plane game Gradius, where you control either a ship, penguin or cap-wearing octopus and shoot down whatever comes at you, whether they be other penguins, flying fish, lips, lollipops, walking trees, bees coming out of treasure chests, whatever. Players receive upgrades to their ships by collecting certain orbs, and each character has their own set of arms.
Playing Parodius will net you the same feeling as walking through a neon-lit Tokyo. Bits and fragments of Japanese culture are embedded within. With that are mixed in tunes that one would recognize, works from classical composers, and in the latest installment of the game (Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius on the SNES, I think it’s called) it has that “that’s the way I like it” song, where disco penguin DJ’s will try to shoot you down by throwing vinyl at you. Totally awesome.

10. Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Super Nintendo 1991)

This game has still retained it’s charm after all these years. I’m a big fan of the Street Fighter series in general – shame I couldn’t squeeze Alpha 3 in somewhere – and it’s this original that has started it all. Finely tuned game, no button mashing flukeness here, just quick reflexes smarts will get you through.

Last edited:

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
9. Starcraft/Brood War (PC 1998)

Still amazes me how all three races, with all their differences manage to stay in such balance. Not the biggest fan of RTS games but this game just has all an RTS should. Different races with their strengths and weaknesses and a multitude of units, all with different ways to be utilized and deployed. Not always will the stronger force prevail in this game, micromanaging units becomes important.
I’ve been playing this game for years, and I’m still shit at it.

8. Pokemon Blue/Red (Gameboy 1998)

Spent all my primary school days battling them out and catching them all. And I loved that piece of shite anime as well. Christ.
The idea of the game is so fresh and innovative, and never short on variety with so many pokemon to collect. Now they have all these new gay ones out and I doubt I could really give a fuck.
[FONT=&quot]A game with something to do always, keep busy catching pokemon or get your Mewtwo to level 100 the hard way. Never used the rare candy trick, no sir I never did. Only to make them evolve, I swear

[/FONT] 7. Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo 1992)

The original and the best. I cannot stand driving sims, and most driving games in particular but this game is a mighty exception. Driving around just feels so “right” in this game (granted it’s Koopa or Toad at the helm) and the weapons are simple but effective in their own ways. Nothing quite like using a mushroom to boost past a foe in the final stretch, or hitting him off the road into a hole with a well placed green shell. It’s not only the mechanics that feel so right in the game, but track design is more or less flawless (Ghost Valley 1 remains as the greatest MK track to me)
The consequent games that followed in the series will always be compared to this one, and I loved Double Dash, which added another dimension to the game. Eagerly waiting for the next installment.
This is one game I still play a lot from time to time.

6. Rez (Dreamcast 1998)

Any fan of music, anyone who feels rhythm and flow will be able to enjoy this one. This also came out on the PS2, so if you’re not lucky enough to have a Dreamcast, hunt it down! This game keeps its simple gameplay, but it’s not the gameplay that’s important, it’s the experience: the sights, the sounds, the beat. Get a beeeg bloody screen, and some decent headphones (not shitty bud ones) turn the lights off, get the family to hush, and pop this in. No need to worry about beating a time limit, racing to the finish or finding secret weapons and such, just plug it in, feel it, and enjoy it. The most relaxing game, and greatest chill-out game ever. If you’ve got epilepsy, you’d do well to steer clear of this game, though.

5. Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (Super Nintendo 1995)

Hailed as one of the best platformers ever, if not the best platformer of all time, and with good reason. Anyone of any age would be able to enjoy this little wonder. Regrettably not having the original cartridge, I was only able play it through emulation about five or so years ago. So many things that make this platformer stand up over the rest in a big way. One thing noticeable is the sketchy art style, and anyone who dares call it gay or poncey - err fair call fair enough – it still adds a significant dimension to gameplay. The game is still just great to look at, Nintendo did well to pull this off on the hardware. The game also boasts very impressive level design, and you’ll be hard pressed to get that 100 points every level. Something to keep you busy with. Plus it has the best level in any game ever, Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy. Just play it and you’ll know what I mean. Very inventive, original, and just plain awesome. Fuzzy>magic shrooms
Gameplay keeps the game relatively simple, and the increase in difficulty over time is subtle yet very much welcome. It’s that style of the game that gets me. And this game gets extra points for pre-dating Yoshi making those fucking gay noises when he jumps and stomps, etc.

4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC 2003)
KOTOR series > Star Wars films

That being said, I first played this game back when it came out, a few months after witnessing the Star Wars original trilogy in its entirety. The game itself manages to capture that complete Star Wars feel almost effortlessly. Memorable characters in your party (my favourite: HK-47, my least favourite: that ginger cunt, Carth) and a marvelous twist in the middle of the game. And anyone who told you they saw it coming, well, needless to say, they’re full of shit.
The combat system I really liked, though I can see why others found it bland. Game gets really fun once you get a lightsaber, or a full array of evil powers at your disposal. Music is completely spot on, and the sound is pure Star Wars. Games I enjoy the most are the ones that create that complete environment for you, and KOTOR does this so thoroughly. KOTOR manages to take you through the Star Wars galaxy, and with a ton of quests and things to do, it gives you quite an experience. While not the biggest of games to explore, each world is crafted to fine detail and unique in their own Star Wars kind of way. A game that you’d want to play over again, at least once.

Last edited:

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
3. Marvel VS Capcom 2 (Dreamcast 2000)

Completely over the top and annoyingly unbalanced true, but hell, so much fun! Big beam specials and zany fights is what this is all about. I’m no pro to the game, hell I use Hayato and Jin but it is frustrating how blatantly unbalanced the game is. That aside, the graphics still hold firm and the gameplay is timeless – an ultimate testament to the chaos that is the crossover series. Utter madness.

2. Baldur's Gate Saga - Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn (PC 1998/2000)

Dungeons, dragons, elves and everything else nerdy thrown in between. Add to that a great storyline, free end wandering and a huge coast to discover and you’ve got something close to what the Baldur’s Gate Saga is.
Another of those huge sprawling RPGS that set you in the middle of a strange fantasy world, a world full of different people with different agendas. Take on the role as a wizard or warrior or whatever and choose your alignment. One of the best things about this game is it’s depth within each character. The characters around you are so well developed and offer great insight and so forth. They are memorable.
Finishing this saga is like wow, the storyline is something I really enjoyed and exploring the worlds and meeting the different folk was never dull for me. This series is just one of those series’ that define a genre, and though I’m far from a Dungeons and dragons fan whatever, I can see that this game delivered on their expectations and them some. It’s fun building a ridiculously powerful god-type character and being able to destroy everything in between.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
1. Fallout Saga - Fallout/Fallout 2 (PC 1997/1998)

My first encounter with the Fallout series was back when I was but a wee lad of 13 years. My cousin had got it free with his PC, and I borrowed it off him to give it a go, he had shown no interest in it prior to that. I remember being very confused with the gameplay elements, especially those in battle. Lacking things to do, I decided to play though and try to finish the game.
And I did. Not a bad game, really. Had it’s exciting moments, though I don’t think anyone could quite call the battle mechanics of this game exciting due to it being click click turn based. I packed it away for a few years.
And took it out again when I was about 16. Remembering it to be a rather good game, I played through it again, and hey, not bad at all. Got my hands on the sequel and played through it, finished it. Great game. The traditional Fallout Series consisted of these two games, both presented and executed in the same top down isometric turn based manner, took some time to grow on me, and since it has, it has become far and away my favourite video game series of all time. It took a while for me, but studying the many differenct facets of the game – art direction, music and satirical content in particular has given me the most possible appreciation for this series.
In Fallout, you are the Vault Dweller, a citizen of one of many great underground “Vaults”, privileged enough to live and survive within a supposed utopia while the world on the surface decayed to the ravages of nuclear war. You travel to the surface for the first time to face the reality of the world in an attempt to save your Vault from dying, due to a malfunctioning water purification chip. It’s your job to get a new chip, thus saving the Vault.
The Fallout series is very very clever, and you mustn’t go far to notice it. What it does is magnify the problems and ditties of today and place them into a post apocalyptic dystopia. Try contrasting the sentiments of a Vault dweller, to one who has lived on the harsh surface his whole life. The game targets issues and satirically emphasizes on the problems of racism, capitalism and, god forbid, Scientology in such a clever and witty manner. You’ll witness the small, harmless community being crushed and overtaken by the big conglomerates, and humans who feel superior to the likes of mutants and ghouls. The game is also very open ended, you get to make the decisions. While there isn’t a really diverse shift in the game due to changes in reputation, the game can take many paths and lead to new offerings and openings due to the decisions you make. And that’s one thing that makes the game so great. You are the catalyst for many things to happen.
The game also lies heavily on the concept of the atmosphere, and considering the dated graphics, the game still manages to do well – perfect even. Landscapes are barren and dead. People around you, some have lost all hope and have turned to drugs. Others strive to make a living through illegal means. Others try to rebuild and maintain order. You’ll meet a vast variety of characters on your quest, all with separate agendas and goals, you get to choose who to trust. Many of these characters are memorable. The art design of the game is just also, in my humble opinion – perfect. The futuristic look of guns and super sledgehammers and armours really enhance the atmosphere of the game. Death animations can be brutal, very brutal, which also help make the world you play in.
Battles, I can see, can be very boring for those not familiar with turn based applications. I myself adapted to it very quickly, and while without guidance it had a rather steep learning curve, it won’t be long till you are blasting chunks out of people. The addition of feats and skills give you something to think about.
Yes, the Fallout series is the greatest video game series of all time for me, and I think I’ll be hard pressed to find something as good as these games. I could probably write more but err nahh. I hear those schmucks that made Elder Scrolls are making a sequel in the same manner as they made the Elder Scrolls games, already a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I’d hope for another shitty graphic top down isometric turn based RPG, but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Best fucking series ever.

Think I deserve a fucking drink, brb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)