Youth Allowance Eligibility (1 Viewer)

Opinions on Youth Allowance eligibility?

• Total voters

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
You've got some sense of entitlement there buddy.

Not surprising though when only 10% of people in the poll believe in scrapping YA.

I guess people can't resist a free lunch.

Im sure there are a few who genuinly[sp] need it.

aussie-boy

HSC
Why does the government have a duty, but the parents have no duty to support their offspring? How have you arbitrarily determined that responsibility lies in this way?

Why is demanding millions of dollars be forcibly taken from taxpayers, better than if that same money were to come voluntarily from people who actually care about their offspring, people who voluntarily chose to enter into the responsibility of raising a child, and based on the parental means test have ample capability to provide this money.
Dude, were not talking about little dependent children.

These are adults, viewed as independent by society and the law... when you hit 18, your parents have done their job and deserve financial freedom. The 'age of majority' underpins how our society operates (Australia is not a country that puts value on family dynasties etc - you make your own wealth, spend most of it by death and expect your kids to do the same).

As with any adult, the Gov has the right to collect tax from you, and the corresponding responsibility to provide transfer payments where an individual is unable to support themselves.

You seem to have some weird conception that youth allowance is charity - giving to those who need it etc. This is simply not true, advance tax rebate would be a far better description - youth allowance is there to increase future productivity... any individual who receives it and completes their degree goes on to pay it back many times over.

Forcing parents to do the Gov's job amounts to little more than theft IMO

---
EDIT - just noticed your signature.... which seems to go against everything you've written
Under the current YA laws, the Gov sees rich parents as "privileged" and seeks to remove their right to have more money than other people

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
---
EDIT - just noticed your signature.... which seems to go against everything you've written
Under the current YA laws, the Gov sees rich parents as "privileged" and seeks to remove their right to have more money than other people
I think you've misinterpreted it slightly...

Youth allowance isn't really serving to increase productivity where you're giving it to people who could have easily afforded to go to uni anyway, which is the effective difference between your proposal and a means tested scheme.

I don't necessarily think parents should be required to pay, individuals can and do fund their own education, study can be funded by private sponsorship, scholarships etc.. Parents aren't forced to do anything, their children can provide for themselves.

I disagree a government has the right to collect tax, they're only able to claim legitimacy for this 'right' due to their superior firepower. The governments claimed 'right' to redistribute money is just a twisted version of 'might is right'.

aussie-boy

HSC
The productivity measurement is conceptual - of course parents are going to pick up the bill if the Gov fails to. The point is that going to uni does increase productivity compared to not going - and it is the Gov that benefits so should be the Gov who pays.

I don't necessarily think parents should be required to pay, individuals can and do fund their own education, study can be funded by private sponsorship, scholarships etc.. Parents aren't forced to do anything, their children can provide for themselves.
But that's just it... minimum living costs are about 20K a year - which entails working about 25hrs a week. Full time study is at least that again.

While 50-60yrs a week might be physically possible, it certainly isnt in the realm of what our society has judged as being an acceptable workload to get by (i.e. forces people to live below the basic standard of living).

I disagree a government has the right to collect tax, they're only able to claim legitimacy for this 'right' due to their superior firepower. The governments claimed 'right' to redistribute money is just a twisted version of 'might is right'.
If you're going to partake in a society and use its services (roads, parks, transport, arts, economic regulation etc) then I don't see how you can argue against tax.

And I didnt say the Gov has a 'right' to redistribute income - but rather a 'responsibility' to ensure basic living standards for all its citizens... essentially just another Government service that our tax pays for

*Minka*

HSC
Why does the government have a duty, but the parents have no duty to support their offspring? How have you arbitrarily determined that responsibility lies in this way?

Why is demanding millions of dollars be forcibly taken from taxpayers, better than if that same money were to come voluntarily from people who actually care about their offspring, people who voluntarily chose to enter into the responsibility of raising a child, and based on the parental means test have ample capability to provide this money.
I was lucky that my parents would never do this to me, but what about those young people who's parents refuse to support them in any way when they turn 18? Some people can't claim because of parental means, but those parents are then refusing to give them a single cent. Should they be disadvantaged because of this? Likewise, what about those who's parents can't afford to provide for their kids to go to Uni? An education should not be an upper class privilege, but a basic right for all, especially in a country which prides itself on giving everyone a "fair go" and the chance to follow their dreams.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I was lucky that my parents would never do this to me, but what about those young people who's parents refuse to support them in any way when they turn 18? Some people can't claim because of parental means, but those parents are then refusing to give them a single cent. Should they be disadvantaged because of this? Likewise, what about those who's parents can't afford to provide for their kids to go to Uni? An education should not be an upper class privilege, but a basic right for all, especially in a country which prides itself on giving everyone a "fair go" and the chance to follow their dreams.

Move out and claim independence rates+Rent assist.

Also HEX is there for a reason.

bio_nut

HSC
Move out...
That doesn't make you independent, you still don't get any money as your parents are meant to be supporting you. Technically they're giving you a place to live anyway, so that's considered support.

I'm applying for unreasonable to live at home for other reasons, but I had that same problem before, centrelink won't do anything.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Aslong as you are not living in the same house and still studying your are entitled to YA with full benefits.

bio_nut

HSC
Aslong as you are not living in the same house and still studying your are entitled to YA with full benefits.
No you are not. Not at all.

You don't get it when you move out as centrelink thinks there is no reason you can't live at home.

bio_nut

HSC
I've fucking looked a lot into this and me and heaps of people I know struggle with these facts and the stupid system.

It's why people take a gap year to try earn it. If you could just move out, everyone would do it.

I have been told this by centrelink first hand, plus it's all up there on the site.

aussie-boy

HSC
Mate you have no idea what you're talking about

There is no independence test satisfied by simply moving out... go and look up the Centrelink website

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)