Youth Allowance Eligibility (1 Viewer)

Opinions on Youth Allowance eligibility?

• Total voters

bio_nut

HSC
Mate you have no idea what you're talking about

There is no independence test satisfied by simply moving out... go and look up the Centrelink website
Exactly. It's why middle class students have to work their arse off whilst at uni, while the rich kids get an allowance from mummy and daddy and those sitting at the bottom of the social ladder get youth allowance.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
No you are not. Not at all.

You don't get it when you move out as centrelink thinks there is no reason you can't live at home.
Umm...i moved out when i was 16.

Unsuitable living standards, pretty easy to say that + you can book an appointment with a social worker at the CL to determine if you are capable.

bio_nut

HSC
Umm...i moved out when i was 16.

Unsuitable living standards, pretty easy to say that + you can book an appointment with a social worker at the CL to determine if you are capable.
Obviously that's a different case if you'd have to move out at 16, there would be significant reasons for that.

Otherwise, especially once you're over 18, definately not. You get nada.

And no it's not, it's a pain in the arse to prove it and they normally say no. You only get a social worker to talk with directly if you're under 18. Over 18 and you have to send in a bunch of forms. I've been waiting 7 weeks and it's still not processed.

aussie-boy

HSC
But most kids have good relationships with their parents, and keep living with them in the holidays - despite getting no cash from them

*Minka*

HSC
Aslong as you are not living in the same house and still studying your are entitled to YA with full benefits.
Not always true.

Secondly, not everyone can scrape enough money in a gap year. It is very tough to get full time jobs in a difficult economy, especially for country/rural kids where there are less jobs than kids trying to earn $19000 in their gap year.

SpoonSamba

HSC
What i don't understand is all my uni friends under 21 who are independent cos theyve worked heaps get youth allowance, ...when they already have money..., but unemployed under 21 yr old students who are making a concious effort to find employment get zip... WHAT THE FUCK! you give money to people who have it and not to people who dont, who the fuck thought of this fucking wankers

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
And no it's not, it's a pain in the arse to prove it and they normally say no. You only get a social worker to talk with directly if you're under 18. Over 18 and you have to send in a bunch of forms. I've been waiting 7 weeks and it's still not processed.
I had never been eligible for youth allowance due to parental income. Then one day, I just called them up and said 'I no longer have a relationship with my father'. Which is true. Sort of. There were literally no more questions asked. I just said that one sentence on the initial phone interview, and there was no more mention of my father, not even a single mention at the one-on-one in store meetings, I never had to sign anything in relation to this, didn't have to get dad to sign anything, they never called him to confirm this, didn't have to get a witness to confirm this.

I've heard other people have a hard time. Maybe it's because I'm old and stuff.

bio_nut

HSC
I had never been eligible for youth allowance due to parental income. Then one day, I just called them up and said 'I no longer have a relationship with my father'. Which is true. Sort of. There were literally no more questions asked. I just said that one sentence on the initial phone interview, and there was no more mention of my father, not even a single mention at the one-on-one in store meetings, I never had to sign anything in relation to this, didn't have to get dad to sign anything, they never called him to confirm this, didn't have to get a witness to confirm this.

I've heard other people have a hard time. Maybe it's because I'm old and stuff.
That's bizarre. Normally you get buried under a mountain of paperwork. I had to fill in forms, plus a third party testifying to the situation, plus my dad had to fil in papers telling the sit and how I can't live at home because I am at risk of severe physical harm from him and my mother blah blah. Filling out the forms was ironically one of the nicest things he has done for me. It had got to the point I couldn't live there anymore though, I was in danger.

Still waiting for the fucking social workers to actually go through it though, they haven't started. So mad, I'm running really short on money, once I give this last bit to the college I don't have any money at all. Like none. I can't buy textbooks for uni. I can't buy pens for godssake.

I am so constantly anxious it's killing me, I can't breathe properly half the time and feel sick.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I was lucky that my parents would never do this to me, but what about those young people who's parents refuse to support them in any way when they turn 18? Some people can't claim because of parental means, but those parents are then refusing to give them a single cent. Should they be disadvantaged because of this? Likewise, what about those who's parents can't afford to provide for their kids to go to Uni? An education should not be an upper class privilege, but a basic right for all, especially in a country which prides itself on giving everyone a "fair go" and the chance to follow their dreams.
I'd prefer to see it administered by private sponsorship and scholarships. Where there is industrial demand and skilled labour shortage, employers will sponsor and pay for the education of students out of necessity to fill demand.

There are countless organisations that provide limited or full compassionate scholarships now, purely for charitable ends, you'd expect the case for and volume of these scholarships to increase if government assistance was abolished.

Even with the present system of youth allowance, I have many friends whose full degrees were sponsored by employers, with the condition that they stay with that employer for several years following their degree. If you look at the defence forces and how they sponsor their staff for tertiary study, those are the sorts of arrangements I'd expect to see.

It's not impossible to study part, or even full time while working.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The productivity measurement is conceptual - of course parents are going to pick up the bill if the Gov fails to. The point is that going to uni does increase productivity compared to not going - and it is the Gov that benefits so should be the Gov who pays.
But it doesn't increase productivity if you're giving unearned money to people who could have easily afforded to go otherwise, which is why I was arguing in favor of a means tested scheme, so only those who are verifiably disadvantaged can access assistance. It does the opposite, it harms national economic growth to waste money in this way.

The alternative you're arguing for, is that students who are wealthy and have ample means to pay for their education should be given $10'000 just because. Why would you not want their wealth to at least be assessed and measured by the state, so that wealth would go only to those who are actually deserving, leaving money to assist these people?

Every dollar you pay to a student of ample wealth, is denying money to another area of need. Where would suggest the government cut spending in order to give millions of dollars to students from wealthy backgrounds?

But that's just it... minimum living costs are about 20K a year - which entails working about 25hrs a week. Full time study is at least that again.
So study part time.

If you're going to partake in a society and use its services (roads, parks, transport, arts, economic regulation etc) then I don't see how you can argue against tax.
All those things should be user pays. I'm not given the choice to opt out of society. The government creates a monopoly and prevents the existence of a privatized alternative to these services. I am forced at gun point to hand over my rightful property to sustain this crooked monopoly.

And I didnt say the Gov has a 'right' to redistribute income
(quote=aussie-boy)As with any adult, the Gov has the right to collect tax from you(/quote)

:uhoh:

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'll go live in that developed western state that doesn't levy tax on it's citizen and business to fund public works...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'll go live in that developed western state that doesn't levy tax on it's citizen and business to fund public works...
will u? will u really?

*Minka*

HSC
Even with the present system of youth allowance, I have many friends whose full degrees were sponsored by employers, with the condition that they stay with that employer for several years following their degree. If you look at the defence forces and how they sponsor their staff for tertiary study, those are the sorts of arrangements I'd expect to see..
I wouldn't like to be locked into any form of commitment where I was forced to state or sign that I'd have to stay with them for ten years without even working there first. It is like the scholarships to study education - they give them to high school graduates to study education, they often graduate, go teach (often send to the middle of nowhere), and realise they hate it, but have a commitment to teach for five years or so. I don't think you can expect 18 year olds to know and commit to what they want to do ten years in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)