Yr 10,11 & 12's AND EVERYONE please advise me! (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
i know this has nothing to do with your question but how to do post things like to ask questions and stuff like what u did? Does anyone know?:)
Go into the relevant forum and click the button "post new thread" which is located at the top left I think.

For the OP, chemistry seems like an obvious choice for you. I would probably do business next, but be aware that you need to write extended responses in some form for this subject.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Is Drama and Music really that bad?? :O
Music has a lot of assumed knowledge. Many students have already learnt this assumed knowledge years ago and are improving their understanding of it regularly. If someone with so little background knowledge of music does it, they will have to spend a lot more time on it, when they could be studying for other subjects. I don't do music 1 (I do music 2) however, there are ~20 people who do HSC music 1 in my cohort. Many of them tell me it is easy because they have all done it before. However, there used to be ~30 people doing music 1 at my school, many of them dropped because they had little to no background knowledge of music so found it extremely difficult.

bluecrisps

HSC
Music has a lot of assumed knowledge. Many students have already learnt this assumed knowledge years ago and are improving their understanding of it regularly. If someone with so little background knowledge of music does it, they will have to spend a lot more time on it, when they could be studying for other subjects. I don't do music 1 (I do music 2) however, there are ~20 people who do HSC music 1 in my cohort. Many of them tell me it is easy because they have all done it before. However, there used to be ~30 people doing music 1 at my school, many of them dropped because they had little to no background knowledge of music so found it extremely difficult.
Oh, i see. thx! Hmm, so music won't be an option now.

carpe_diem

HSC
Hmm, but what if economics is as boring as business studies -_-. Hmm, dammit why's choosing the rest so hard!!
I do not not find economics boring. Most of the time, it's actually more interesting than business. But I find business very interesting as well. Business is VERY content heavy, whereas, economics isn't as much, but has much harder content. I find economics a lot easier to apply to the real world than business.

bluecrisps

HSC
1. What are your interests?
2. What do you think you will be good at?
3. What do you plan to do at university(?)/profession?
4. How much does scaling matter to you?
5. What are you willing to work hard at?
1. Interested in law and english. I also doing creative/weird stuff I didn't do (e.g Chem and Drama)
2. I think i will be good at Maths (did fairly well for semester 1 this year)
3. I would like to do combined law with Arts for the other half (either a language or music) or Film (if that's possible)
4. I don't care about scaling because I will try my hardest in what I do.
5. I will work hard at the subjects I am interested in but if I turn out not to like it I will still work hard cos it's the HSC!

bluecrisps

HSC
I do not not find economics boring. Most of the time, it's actually more interesting than business. But I find business very interesting as well. Business is VERY content heavy, whereas, economics isn't as much, but has much harder content. I find economics a lot easier to apply to the real world than business.
What do you do in economics and business?

SunnyScience

HSC
1. Interested in law and english. I also doing creative/weird stuff I didn't do (e.g Chem and Drama)
2. I think i will be good at Maths (did fairly well for semester 1 this year)
3. I would like to do combined law with Arts for the other half (either a language or music) or Film (if that's possible)
4. I don't care about scaling because I will try my hardest in what I do.
5. I will work hard at the subjects I am interested in but if I turn out not to like it I will still work hard cos it's the HSC!

Have you considered picking up 4U English in year 12?

For 5 - It's amazing how your attitude to the HSC changes in year 12.

bluecrisps

HSC
Business Studies and Chem seem like the best pick for you imho.

You have the 8 ones you were definitely wanted, then decided on business so why not chem for last two? You are doing MX1 so the calculations will breeze, you have an 8/10 interest and to top it off it's a good scaler :) Some of the Yr 12 chem pracs are really fun, like titration and esterification.
Hmm, maybe but I also think Drama would be just as fun and can also help in law by help increasing my speech skills and also acting (so i can pretend to be a mean as lawyer if there's gangsters in the courtroom, jk) Dam, also economics seems to overlap with Business studies so it could be beneficial both ways so I'm not sure what to do ><

SunnyScience

HSC
Hmm, maybe but I also think Drama would be just as fun and can also help in law by help increasing my speech skills and also acting (so i can pretend to be a mean as lawyer if there's gangsters in the courtroom, jk) Dam, also economics seems to overlap with Business studies so it could be beneficial both ways so I'm not sure what to do ><
Please remember that not all skills need to be obtained through courses that WILL count as part of your HSC mark. You can do acting classes/group activities/programs outside of class that won't count and potentially "destroy" (?) your HSC.

Personally, just do what you're good at and love (currently) and you'll be fine.

jessicathai

HSC
OMG you're doing almost the same as me LOL, I think that you should add some Science subjects. Even though these subjects tend to have more theory. They are also practical at time. As an added bonus these subjects also scale you up.

If you aren't very good at Science you could do Senior Science or Bio as they tend to be easier.

PS you sound like a MyChonny fan :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
OMG you're doing almost the same as me LOL, I think that you should add some Science subjects. Even though these subjects tend to have more theory. They are also practical at time. As an added bonus these subjects also scale you up.

If you aren't very good at Science you could do Senior Science or Bio as they tend to be easier.

PS you sound like a MyChonny fan :)
In no universe would Senior Science scale you up-it's got terrible scaling. Bio has a little bit above average so you still need to put the effort in to reap reward in it. OP should try to pick subjects that are best for them.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you would like and do fine in drama, but I am worried by the subjectivity of it and you have not done it as a school subject before. See to choose drama and have it not impact your ATAR (as an ATAR counting unit), you will need a band 6 essentially. Although you pick it for your 11/12th unit in yr 11 and if you excel at it keep it, either as a definite counter or as a "fun" 11/12th unit that may count. Or you can drop it in yr 12. But just be carefully of locking yourself out of options with units.

I still think Chem and Business Studies would be good bets. Unless you may prefer eco over business?

HSC
I do chem ATM and it's a hard subject but very rewarding. I have learnt so much and it's a great subject. Very interesting toooo.

marshmallow23

HSC
N/A
Hmm, but what if economics is as boring as business studies -_-. Hmm, dammit why's choosing the rest so hard!!
It all comes down to personal preference! :) Try asking your teachers/previous students about the difference between economics and business studies. I have quite a number of friends doing economics, and they say that economics is boring. But then I have people in my business studies class who find it boring. Business Studies is heaps easier than economics though. And to accompany what others said, don't worry about scaling. If you like a subject, then do it. Don't do it because of "scaling" rumours or because you hear people say it's boring. Do what you want! And I'm sure there will be a few weeks of next year where you can adjust to your subject and if you don't like your subject choices, you can always change! :D

bluecrisps

HSC
Ok, Chem and Business studies it is!
Thanks for all your comments, they were all very helpful!

Havenie

HSC
Uni Grad
I currently do Prelim Business Studies and its really fun for me, because I love my teacher! Depending on which teacher you may have, the subject becomes fun to you ahaha, but Bus. Studies is really fun like you learn about stuff that's really interesting. And on the essay side of it, it doesn't have to be written like an essay question because everything needs to be short and precise and doesn't need full elaborating - can easily pull off 5-6 pages in 40 mins. I have heard Music 1 is fun as well, but there's the theory side to it which might be boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)