yr 12 students - what should be we doing right now? (1 Viewer)

dkay55

HSC
My school is rather delayed...and relaxed to say the least. I feel like im in year 10 or 11 sometimes because of the atmosphere in most classes. Because of that...I'm left feeling completely overwhlemed when I hear of other students making notes and studying for 2 hours a night and whatnot. I really need to to know what fellow yr 12 students are doing right now, 2 terms into the HSC.

Anyhoo, to help a bewildered student like myself, who desperately wants to do really well and does have the intellectual capacity, what should I be doing right now?

Should I be making notes about each main topic area in each subject? How long should my notes be? How long should I be studying for each night? If I'm not recieving adequate notes in class from some of my uncomprehensive teachers, where else can i get notes?

Answers to these any of these questions would be most helpful :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
The syllabus is your best friend.
You are also closely tied with pen and paper.
Introduce them, and wonders will happen

You hate social networking expecially msn.
You hate not studying

lol, just revise what u do each day.
If you dont understand something you learn, find someone who does and get then to explain it to you.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Your whole life should be devoted to the HSC. (you decide whether I'm being sarcastic or not)

Foxodi

HSC
Just make nice summaries of textbooks imo (though, depends on subject of course).
Work out how many pages or w/e you wanna summarise a week etc, and just do it.
The size of the summaries is up to your choice really, personally Im going for long ones followed by a summary of a summary; but IMO compact dot-point summaries work fine (ie a few pages per chapter w/e)

dkay55

HSC
Rhanoct said:
Your whole life should be devoted to the HSC. (you decide whether I'm being sarcastic or not)

I think you're being a realist there actually lol

HSC
I probably do 2-3 hours per week, not per night. I should really step it up a little.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
You should be doing 3 hours a night absolute minimum if you're in Year 12.

bassistx

HSC
We should be studying.

We're apparently 9 weeks behind in BS. What a great teacher I have.

Artemis.

HSC
dkay55, I know what you mean, my school is pretty similar.
And yeah just try and summarise the work you do in class, look at past papers, check out a few other study guides if you feel you aren't getting the resources.
I try and do 2 hours or more a day, doesn't always happen, lol. Just do enough to help you feel confident with the work.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Personally, i dont think anyone does as much study as they claim to do, or their parents claim that they do. There are people in my year who say they do 4 hours a night and say they dont have enough time to do all their work, when I do less than that including approx 1.5 hours of maths homework a night, plus an english essay every week and a tonne of other homework.

I dont think that you should really compare yourself to others in terms of how much time you spend a night but what you get done. If you feel you are falling behind in a subject, put extra work into that subject (ie do extra questions from the book, practice essays etc). If you are fine in a subject and doing as well as you expect, dont beat yourself up about not putting in that extra work.

And just know that throughout the year you are gradually gonna have to spend more time studing (ie making notes for exams etc) and if you start out doing some ridiculous amount like 5 hours a night you are gonna burn yourself out and by the time you get to your HSC you wont be able to study at all

neeksy45

HSC
yeh i feel the same way.
at the start of the year the principal told us that over half our year would fail the HSC because they rarely show up or try hard.
because its so slack it makes it incredibly hard to be motivated.
i have some classes where there is an average of 5 people away each lesson(in a class of 13,thats pretty bad).
just read the syllabus and the dot points which tell you all you need to know.
and anything you do in class go home and write it out differently so you understand it better.

karnage

HSC
Well i've had most of this week off (camp week), been trying to get a few hand in assessments in order/started, currently doing some summaries (slow progress albiet).

Not much fun or too much bludging, otherwise i'll feel like shit when the exams and assessments are due. (im usually accustomed to 'all nighters', trying to break the habit :) )

Oh as for notes, i tend to make em as long as i feel they need to be. I seem to make the harder topics for economics for example, the longer ones. Good for reading at home, but for quick revision i whip together a summary of the summary lol.

Last edited:

sasa-o8

HSC
Wow, I feel rather guilty now having read the amounts some of you guys study per day/week! I only study and make my notes a day or two before my exams, and trust me, it doesn't get you the full marks. I manage to get in the 80%+ but that's not what I aim for. I want the 90%'s rawrrr!

I've only learnt the syllabus to be my best friend just two weeks ago :( But it's really helpful, especially for subjects such as business studies. Just throw out all the points again when you recognise what part of the syllabus it was from :)

yennie B

HSC
--i'd rather spend nights summarising now then before exams!

--BUT summarise and know your syllabus off by heart.

--lol PLEASE HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE. yr 12 is supposed to be fun too. find a balance.

-- listen 100 percent IN CLASS. so you dont need to do TWICE THE WORKLOAD at home.

and i go on msn like everynight after study!

so depends on you-- if you can have two: the social and the studying.

or you have to completely focusED one ONE.

and i do mindmaps AFTER MY SUMMARIES esp for legal easier TO remember.

if u dnt do the summaries now, you'll eventually do them later. but RATHER DO EM NOW SO YOU CAN PRACTICE TEST PAPERS LATER!

Last edited:

Je.shi.ka

HSC
I really do try to study each night,:read: but i get side tracked really easily.... I think if you're not used to studying each night, you should start with an hour. maybe do that for a week and then increase it to 2 -3 on normal weeknights. Then 4 when exams come up..

When are people's half yearlys? This term or after the holidays?

karnage

HSC
Je.shi.ka said:
When are people's half yearlys? This term or after the holidays?
Would assume most would be late this term, early next term.

Jess007

HSC
my half yearlys are after the easter long weekend...

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
I'm not really a "sit down and study" person. So if there is a moment when I am focussed then I'll study for how ever long the moment lasts.

Don't force yourself if you're not in the mood... you're just wasting time. Do some homework or work on an assessment. Your time will be better spent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)