• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr11 student PLEASE, URGENTLY NEED ADVICE (1 Viewer)

HSC
What should i do with my maths i don't even know anything, or the basics, because from 7-10 i didn't practice/homework/listen and now i don't know the basics, so what should i do? i'm just so dumb at maths hence the reason i got 9% in a test, please i really need help otherwise i'm screwed forever

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What should i do with my maths i don't even know anything, or the basics, because from 7-10 i didn't practice/homework/listen and now i don't know the basics, so what should i do? i'm just so dumb at maths hence the reason i got 9% in a test, please i really need help otherwise i'm screwed forever
I am willing to offer some assistance with that. I would start back to Year 10 work, by no means are you "dumb". But I will admit it is going to require a substantial amount of effort to catch up so it would be a good idea to work hard. I have faith in you, do not worry.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
sorry so if it is p99 that means students in the top 1% of nsw had a mark of 49 and scaled to 48.4 but isn't the test out of 100 marks?
Yes that is correct. As I said above the marks in this table are out of 50.

HSC
Hi spiralflex, when you say you can offer assistance what do you mean?

Thanks

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi spiralflex, when you say you can offer assistance what do you mean?

Thanks
Clear up any concepts that you are not familiar with. I can also provide you with additional work if needed for practice.

HSC
i just found out i'm even more screwed, i got 3 out of 35 on the first test and for this half yearly if i don't get at LEAST 15 out of 36 then i get sent to general maths, my abusive parents will hit me and yell at me for the rest of my life, may as well suicide

powlmao

Banned
HSC
i just found out i'm even more screwed, i got 3 out of 35 on the first test and for this half yearly if i don't get at LEAST 15 out of 36 then i get sent to general maths, my abusive parents will hit me and yell at me for the rest of my life, may as well suicide
dont be stupid

Seriously 2U is easy i found it a billion times better if you memorize formulas and go from there

Just do lots and lots of questions

Oh and FYI, i see that you do not understand the Concepts very well so i suggesst go to mathonline which will really help you as it gives you a ton for information for the basic stuff

Gigacube

HSC
What topic was it & how did you study for the test?

Try to be positive. You can learn from this test and there are many helpful users that are willing to help you out.

HSC
i don't even know, on monday i will ask the teacher what exactly is in the test and hopefully you guys can tell me what to do...

Gigacube

HSC
Well that probably explains why you're struggling. It sounds like you aren't paying attention in class.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Starters:

Get off the computer, get your parents to put a password on it.

Next:

Make a time table and follow it, do 3-4 hours PER SUBJECT per week. so 1 subject a night, spend half that time revising what you've done in that week, previous week etc... until you dont know it off by heart.

Finally:

Spend the rest of the time studying/making notes/memorizing what's in the syllabus, and syllabus alone.

lusiv

HSC
haha i received my assignment recently and i got 40-50% beside physics 61 % :) need to take my assignments serious now. By the way what section do i print off from the syllabus?
and does homework count as studying ? if not then what is studying ? and how do you study everyday ?
Im doing : Maths 2U, Physics, Engineering studies, IT, IPT , English standard.
Thank you,

Gigacube

HSC
haha i received my assignment recently and i got 40-50% beside physics 61 % :) need to take my assignments serious now. By the way what section do i print off from the syllabus?
and does homework count as studying ? if not then what is studying ? and how do you study everyday ?
Im doing : Maths 2U, Physics, Engineering studies, IT, IPT , English standard.
Thank you,
With the Physics syllabus you would print off from where it says "Content: Physics Stage 6 Preliminary Course" which is number 8 in the contents. Make summaries of the dot points.

Studying involves doing past papers, questions from your textbook, writing/typing notes, etc.
You can't really study for IT or IPT. Just understand what each topic is about & write some notes when your exams are close.

lusiv

HSC
Oh i see. How would you study and improve english standard as in writing skills? becuase my writing skills are like band 3 i want it up in the 5-6. I've tried writing eass, stories and reports to improve but they dont work for me. I guess i need too read a lot of band 6 writing too see how they approach things. Is there a place where i can read band 6 HSC english writing section ? I've seen School Certificate Band 6 writing section of my english teacher last year cause she has this book with band 1-6 writing.

Gigacube

HSC
Oh i see. How would you study and improve english standard as in writing skills? becuase my writing skills are like band 3 i want it up in the 5-6. I've tried writing eass, stories and reports to improve but they dont work for me. I guess i need too read a lot of band 6 writing too see how they approach things. Is there a place where i can read band 6 HSC english writing section ? I've seen School Certificate Band 6 writing section of my english teacher last year cause she has this book with band 1-6 writing.
There's some band 6 writing in the resources section. Have you handed the practice writings into a teacher or tutor for feedback? Feedback is important because it tells you where you went wrong & how you can improve.

Here's some English standard work with examples of each band from 2007. You can find it for the rest of your subjects here.

iTexter

HSC
I would check out the resources here at Bored of Studies. They have pretty good notes and you can structure yours similarly or to see if your basically on the right track. The key is not to stress too much because that just means that you'll do worse. I would recommend you asking the advice of your tutors as well as your teachers on pointers on how you can achieve better or study methods you can adopt.
Clearly you might not be motivated enough and studying in blocks of 1hr+ can be boring. Break it up with 5-10 minute breaks to do other things or recollect what you just studied/read.
Also it might be really good to find out what strategies are good for you. E.g. are you a visual, auditory or kinetic (movement) learner?? Because it may aid you in finding better techniques of revision and studying then just sitting there and reading.
For me, I find that reading my notes out loud is a great way to helping me understand things and getting my friends to test/ask questions is another great method of studying.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay 2U maths test half yearly coming up.

1. Find out what topics are on it.
2. Try doing questions out of your textbooks out of the sections, struggling? read theory nots Struggling? ask a competent person for help?
3. Do past papers.
4. Stay calm and use time management in half yearly exam.

RANK 1

HSC
i dont see how u can do so bad, i mean i came 3rd in 2u without even studying for it...but thats prob because i do ext2 maths and the 2u class is full of retards

HSC
wow this helps a lot guys, thanks, i try to study now, i think i did at least over 2 hours yesterday and the day before doing my maths homework, i have to catch up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)