• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr11 Study Plan (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
i'd recommend cambridge 3u for maths because the questions are challenging compared to some of the other maths textbooks. Past papers are a very good way to test your understanding and make sure you don't leave past papers to the last minute. You can get the past papers from friends or ask your school for some or even find questions from a range of textbooks in the library.
I don't recommend 'study guides', they are not very good in terms of explaining concepts, they are no substitute for textbooks, you're much better off making your own notes and regularly revising them because that way, you absorb things better.
For english, general wide reading helps to improve expressions (because in english, especially advanced, it's not what you say but how you express it) and reading that is more specific to your texts will give you an idea of others' interpretations and thus be of help to your own. Good luck!
+ 8 i want to go again :):)

musing

HSC
I'd recommend Cambridge 3U for maths because the questions are challenging compared to some of the other maths textbooks. Past papers are a very good way to test your understanding and make sure you don't leave past papers to the last minute. You can get the past papers from friends or ask your school for some or even find questions from a range of textbooks in the library.
I don't recommend 'study guides', they are not very good in terms of explaining concepts, they are no substitute for textbooks, you're much better off making your own notes and regularly revising them because that way, you absorb things better.
For English, general wide reading helps to improve expressions (because in English, especially Advanced, it's not what you say but how you express it) and reading that is more specific to your texts will give you an idea of others' interpretations and thus be of help to your own. Good luck!
+9 The voices in my head told me to do it!

Amogh

HSC
N/A
+3
HA and thats not teh last of me

YES
i finally feel
accepted

back to teh dark corner now :(

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
LOL. Maybe I shouldn't conform and start posting something other than spam once again.
Study hard not smart= wasted time
Study smart not hard= Success.
Study smart and hard= EPIC WIN
There. :)

Matt2233

HSC
To be honest, i did no study at all in year 11. I think i may have started studing for yearlies a week before they started and it was nothing major.

Although i would try a tad harder if i went back and did it again, its important to remember that ultimately year 11 means nothing and you shouldnt study to such an extent you burn out for year 12.

The other tip i can give you is make sure you go into year 1 mode at the beginning of term 4 :p
I didnt and just cruised through my first assessment tasks...

You don't wanna be like me and have to come first by a wide margin in your half-yearlies to reclaim your rank haha

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
To be honest, i did no study at all in year 11. I think i may have started studing for yearlies a week before they started and it was nothing major.

Although i would try a tad harder if i went back and did it again, its important to remember that ultimately year 11 means nothing and you shouldnt study to such an extent you burn out for year 12.

The other tip i can give you is make sure you go into year 1 mode at the beginning of term 4 :p
I didnt and just cruised through my first assessment tasks...

You don't wanna be like me and have to come first by a wide margin in your half-yearlies to reclaim your rank haha
As much as I'd like to breeze through the exams and do hardly anything in year 11, I'd still like to get as much practice for year 12 so that consistent revision comes naturally in year 12 and that I develop good study habits.

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
as much as i'd like to breeze through the exams and do hardly anything in year 11, i'd still like to get as much practice for year 12 so that consistent revision comes naturally in year 12 and that i develop good study habits.
+1

Matt2233

HSC
As much as I'd like to breeze through the exams and do hardly anything in year 11, I'd still like to get as much practice for year 12 so that consistent revision comes naturally in year 12 and that I develop good study habits.
Although thats a good idea in therory (and something i wish id done a bit more of in hindsight) just make sure its nothing to extreme.

If your talking 30 minutes of study a night on most days of the week thats perfectly fine. Anymore then that your wasting your time and youll most probably be more inclined to burn out of have panic/anxiety attacks come year 12.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Although thats a good idea in therory (and something i wish id done a bit more of in hindsight) just make sure its nothing to extreme.

If your talking 30 minutes of study a night on most days of the week thats perfectly fine. Anymore then that your wasting your time and youll most probably be more inclined to burn out of have panic/anxiety attacks come year 12.
Thanks for the advice :)

Matt2233

HSC
Oh, and although unrelated, i thought id share some more advice i wish i'd been told about before year 11 started.

Look over the syllabus for all subjects your interested in, not jsut the ones you have currently selected. you might find you would be more interested in other subjects then the ones your currently doing.

If i had done this, instead of doing physics, chem ancient and geo in prelim i would have done bio,earth, legal and ancient.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Oh, and although unrelated, i thought id share some more advice i wish i'd been told about before year 11 started.

Look over the syllabus for all subjects your interested in, not jsut the ones you have currently selected. you might find you would be more interested in other subjects then the ones your currently doing.

If i had done this, instead of doing physics, chem ancient and geo in prelim i would have done bio,earth, legal and ancient.
Woah, you practically wished you did completely different subjects.

Healthy Harold

HSC
Excell physics is alright, but it often fails to directly answer the dot points and explain some things properly. Why bother with it when jacaranda is so good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)