zinc monitoring (1 Viewer)

lilchezza

HSC
okiez, I have to do a thingy about the effects of zinc on the environment and people and why we have to monitor it , and all I can find is stuff about how zinc is so good and it helps you grow normally and stuff, which is rather fustrating :mad1: . Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find any info?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Even though zinc is an essential requirement for a healthy body, too much zinc can be harmful. Excessive absorption of zinc can also suppress copper and iron absorption. On the other hand, the free zinc ion in solution is highly toxic to plants, invertebrates, and even vertebrate fish. The Free Ion Activity Model (FIAM) is well-established in the literature, and shows that just micromolar amounts of the free ion kills some organisms. A recent example of 6 micromolar killing 93% of all daphnia in water is in Muyssen et al., (Aquat Toxicol. 2006). Swallowing an American one cent piece (98% zinc) can also cause damage to the stomach lining due to the high solubility of the zinc ion in the acidic stomach (Bothwell and Mair, PEDIATRICS 2003) whereas the British penny is made from copper-plated steel
Metallic zinc is not considered to be toxic, but free zinc ions in solution (like copper or iron ions) are highly toxic. There is also a condition called zinc shakes or zinc chills (see metal fume fever) that can be induced by the inhalation of freshly formed zinc oxide formed during the welding of galvanized materials. Excessive intake of zinc can promote deficiency in other dietary minerals.
I'll add that zinc is classified as a heavy metal.
Source: Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc#Biological_role

lilchezza

HSC
thankyou so much :) . I was looking everywhere, I did look on wikipedia, but obviously not the right stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)