10 or 12 units for year 12? (1 Viewer)

hamsterjames

HSC
I've been hearing things of different people as to how many units to keep for year 12. I tend to drift towards 10 units, so I'd be able to concentrate on fewer subjects in more depth. Your thoughts?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Back-up in case you fuck something up.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Only drop to 10 if your doing crap in a subject i.e. failing and you know it's not going to count.

xdosha

HSC
I'd be inclined to say do 12 Units, as you never know you might actually do really well in the subject you wanted to drop.

You never know, you might enjoy the subject, so keep it until the trials, and see whether your rank is good or else, drop.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been hearing things of different people as to how many units to keep for year 12. I tend to drift towards 10 units, so I'd be able to concentrate on fewer subjects in more depth. Your thoughts?
Noone can answer that question save for yourself. How confident are you? How much do you crave success? How much do you doubt yourself? How much confidence do you have in your abilities?

I did 10 right off the bat because I knew the answers to the above questions.

inJust

HSC
For me, if you're an average student then keep 11/12. If you have 10 solid units (top 5) then drop to 10.

hamsterjames

HSC
Noone can answer that question save for yourself. How confident are you? How much do you crave success? How much do you doubt yourself? How much confidence do you have in your abilities?

I did 10 right off the bat because I knew the answers to the above questions.
Probably the most helpful answer I've gotten. Many teachers and other students seemed adament that their idea was the best. But thanks, answers my question!

Yolando

Banned
HSC
N/A
Just don't be like me.]

I have been intending to drop IPT for 2 years now. I am now almost finished year 12 and still doing it.

If you are going to drop a subject. Drop it now/or first term back next year

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
For me, if you're an average student then keep 11/12. If you have 10 solid units (top 5) then drop to 10.
I was top 4 in everything except english and kept 12.

It's up to you, I just felt safer with a back-up.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did 14 because I liked all my subjects.

So do what you want, really.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
11 units trollface.jpg

Or alternatively, whatever works best for you. Different strokes for different folks. Pros and cons depending on what your situation is.

People will argue with me, but I think 10-12 units is the range, many people who try to take a 13+ load at once find it detrimentally impacting, even bright kids who tend to be the types to do it and do with crazy subjects. (Talking about doing them all at once too, no acceleration) And then it's a bit of shame if they do pull it off and 3+ units don't count.

Shadowdude is one of the few people that have pulled 14 unit load off all the way through Year 12. Hats off to him, especially with the combo he did!

HSC
Well, Im going to do 10 only because I absolutely hate ancient history so much!!!!!! If you hate a subject don't do it....

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
nikhil vasan did 16 units and managed to get 99.95 and state ranking in phys and maths i think
so do what u r capable of, i know many people who do extra units just to increase their knowledge and acquire more skills from different subjects and not limit their knowledge to one field. Ultimately depends on the person.

fionarykim

HSC
11 !!! HAHAH
tbh im going to do 11 next year, i think 12 is good if you are not sure that u will do very well in every subject, as the last 2 units act as backup
but for me, i dont want to spend extra time studying for subjects that will not be counted in my atar
so i do 11, one unit for backup hahah

really depends really :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)