11 units scaling confusion. (1 Viewer)

jung1239

HSC
So, currently i'm doing 11 units, and i know that they only count the best 10 units, but i don't understand how. Do they take the best 10 units in terms of the actual HSC mark?

Currently, i'm doing Ext Maths, Maths, Business, Legal, Chemistry and English.
I know in my upcoming legal studies exam i will suck, probably around the 75% HSC mark, but in my Maths Ext exam, I'm pretty sure i got around the 72% HSC mark. The problem is a 72% in EXT Maths would scale ALOT better than a 75% in legal studies - which would scale down incredibly. So does BoS consider that and take Maths Ext as a part of my 10 best units even though the HSC mark is lower or do they still take Legal studies?

reps2g

HSC
pretty sure they'd take the scaled mark. Taking your raw mark wouldn't make much sense

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They will take the best two units of English and then the next 8 best scaled units. In your example only one unit of Legal would count.

jung1239

HSC
But i was under the impression that UAC scales the marks, which has nothing to do with BoS?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
BOS sends the raw marks to UAC to scale them.

UAC will use the best two units of English (or only two in the case of students who only do Advanced or Standard) and then the next best 8 units - after they have scaled all the raw marks sent to them.

jung1239

HSC
BOS sends the raw marks to UAC to scale them.

UAC will use the best two units of English (or only two in the case of students who only do Advanced or Standard) and then the next best 8 units - after they have scaled all the raw marks sent to them.
I thought BoS aligns the marks before sending them to UAC - which is our hsc mark - and UAC scales those marks to produce an ATAR?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I thought BoS aligns the marks before sending them to UAC - which is our hsc mark - and UAC scales those marks to produce an ATAR?

BOS aligns the marks and reports the aligned marks to you but sends the raw marks to UAC - gives UAC more marks to work with as the raw marks are spread fully over the 0 - 100 range while the aligned marks are (98%+) limited to a range of 50 - 100 (or whatever the Maths and English is marked out of and obviously 25 - 50 for 1 unit courses).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
BoS will report what Band you receive but UAC will determine your best 11 units - UAC doesn't care about your aligned mark.

Glorious

HSC
Aligning is different to scaling, my friend.

Aligning = BOS.
Scaling = UAC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)