13 years of our lives leading up to this moment.. (1 Viewer)

emmcyclopedia

HSC
I've been thinking about what the HSC means to me. Some of you have high hopes like 99+ while others of you just want to get in your course like me. No matter what ATAR you're aiming for, we're all still reaching for a common goal right? To finish high school once and for all and to get the ATAR that we want.

Now, some of you might be stressing out or running out of motivation like myself, but the HSC is just around the corner. Think about your entire schooling life. When you first started school in Kindy, did you realise that for a whole 13 years you'd be at school? I always considered the routine of going to school as normal, part of everyday life. Throughout primary school I always thought to myself, "Wow that Year 12 guy's so lucky! He gets to finish school, I can't imagine myself in that situation." Well here we are. We're never going to have a normal school timetable ever again, and we only have a bit more than a month until we're completely free. I can't believe we're finally here.

With less than 3 weeks to go until the HSC, we should be studying our asses off. Remember the selective test in Year 6? I remember thinking that it was the most important test in my life. Well if the selective test was only a test deciding which high school we get into, how much more important is the HSC? I remember when I mucked around and didn't study at all for the selective test, and immediately regretted it afterwards. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to let myself do the same for my HSC. Maybe you don't understand because you were one of those people that studied hard for the selective test and ended up going to a nice, high ranked school. Well you better be studying much harder for the HSC considering it's so much more important than the selective test. You people are lucky because you know you'll do well if you study hard.

I don't know where I'm going with this 'rant'. I suppose I finally realised that the past 13 years were all leading up to this moment. When I entered high school, I knew it was a completely different ballgame to primary school. I knew I would have to put in the hard yards and finally buckle down and study. But I never did. I kept procrastinating and playing around, and now here I am 6 years later, so close to the HSC and still playing around. And now I look back and I regret wasting those past 13 years. Maybe if I did some more study, I would feel more confident. I should have balanced my play time with my work time. But it's too late to start regretting. There's less than 3 weeks left, all I can do is study my ass off and maximise my ATAR. No point looking back and kicking myself for what I should have done. Instead I'll look forward and see what I can still do.

Well, I may not be aiming for a high ATAR but I know that if I don't get it I'll regret everything I've done for the past 13 years. Everyone on bos is aiming for a certain goal and whether it's high or low, we should all try our best and study hard because this is our last ever set of high school exams. Screw the people that say the HSC doesn't matter. With less than 3 weeks to go, I think it's the most important event in our lives right now. I mean I know I'd regret it if I partied and didn't study before the HSC, why not just study for a few weeks and party hard later? So regardless of whether you want a scholarship or you're just trying to get into UWS, let's all try our hardest for the next few weeks so that we that we don't look back and we don't have any regrets.

Good luck to all of you and study hard! If none of this made any sense to you, I don't blame you :)

This is an exciting and nerve-racking time, and I think you've captured that beautifully!

Can I just say this though - The HSC is important, and I'm sure most of us are feeling some significant pressure right now. For me, an absolute worry-wort, I know that I am constantly questioning whether I have truly used my time wisely, and whether I am actually capable of getting some really high marks.

But we have not spent the past 13 years preparing for this moment, and ONLY this moment. Certainly the upcoming exams are a crucial component of this schooling experience - but lets remember as well that it is this whole "journey" that we came to experience, not just the "destination". There are things we have learnt in school, both academically and socially, that no examination or ATAR can ever measure. Do your best, push yourself to the limit, show what you are capable of - but at the end of the day, be satisfied and know that you have already achieved much of what you set out to do.

Look not at these exams (as I have in the past) with a sense of doom or apprehension, but with with joy and anticipation. You have already put in the hard yards. What you achieve in these next few weeks of study is not the foundation of your knowledge - it is a top-up, an extension of what you are already capable of. So do not give up. Each of us has come so far just by walking this road. Anything that you do from here is only adding to what you already have within you.

This is what I have learnt over the past few weeks.

Best of luck to you all x

blackforest

HSC
wow, great post. sounds like a school captain's graduating speech or something. really does.
it was very inspirational and motivating, although im not doing the hsc this year.

good luck to everyone. hope you guys do well!

handofblood

HSC
All those people who have the natural smarts.... actually DID a selective test, were not forced to go to a little public school with 3 people in your maths and history class... you are lucky.... and i hope you all get your 99 + 's :).... as for me.... i wish i was you....i'm going to struggle into the 80's.... but even so... it makes me want to cry because i want to be smart...i guess i'm going to try anyway.

thanks for your words, they made me smile a little knowing that there are so many others who procrastinate as much as me.

kushna

HSC
Yes, these exams are, if you think about it, the single most important event in ones lifetime. Think about it, what other event could have such a profound effect on ones life outcome than what score one gets.
Best comment ITT.

Baggygreen408

HSC
GG- awesome post... a lot of it very true- but I also agree with Emmcyclopedia as well on this... the whole journey- all the experiences we have shared have moulded who we are.

Best of luck Class of 09- take many memoires away from the past 12 months, and 13 years... rally yourself for one last effort, just over a month and its all over... Treasure the experiences you have had, and enjoy any time you have with you mates and teachers at your school, even if its the occasional 'Hey' at an exam.

shoutoutloud

HSC
Like alot of people, i too have been lacking motivation and even though i have my goals and ATAR aim i just cant seem to study full on!!!
After reading this motivating post, I do not believe i will be on the computer half as much, pitty i didnt read it sooner
THANK YOU!!!

xxheersaletixx

TERI MAA :)
HSC
i was feeling down about hsc and how close it is and how everything might go wrong ...but this has motivated me so much

thanks alot :) u are inspirational.

and good luck to everyone else

i hope you all get the marks u want :)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
I've been thinking about what the HSC means to me. Some of you have high hopes like 99+ while others of you just want to get in your course like me. No matter what ATAR you're aiming for, we're all still reaching for a common goal right? To finish high school once and for all and to get the ATAR that we want.

Now, some of you might be stressing out or running out of motivation like myself, but the HSC is just around the corner. Think about your entire schooling life. When you first started school in Kindy, did you realise that for a whole 13 years you'd be at school? I always considered the routine of going to school as normal, part of everyday life. Throughout primary school I always thought to myself, "Wow that Year 12 guy's so lucky! He gets to finish school, I can't imagine myself in that situation." Well here we are. We're never going to have a normal school timetable ever again, and we only have a bit more than a month until we're completely free. I can't believe we're finally here.

With less than 3 weeks to go until the HSC, we should be studying our asses off.

Let me give you a bit of my older perspective and wisdom. I think you say it well but a little more of input about life after HSC will help you to put things into perspective. I have seen cases where some kids knew that he woul do poorly in the HSC. But at the same time the parents and the kid refuse flatlythe idea of delaying for 1 year or redo the HSC again. For one moment, imagine you are having a problem like an accident or a mental break down or becoming a fugitive for some reason where you life is at stake. Imagine you hide away in some cave wishing your life would come back to normal. Suddenly you realise that the HSC is meaningless and you can always wait for 1 year and hopefully you will do it next year. The problem is all in the mind. People become so tired after 13 years of schooling that they want to finish it off regardless of what they would get. They don't wantto wait until their feel ready! This is what's wrong with the system. It encourages people to do things when they are not really. It lets kids move on to next grade even if they badly fail the current one. We have 80% of people who are not ready to move on but they move on any way.

This problem will haunt 80% of people throughout 13 years of their school life, then whatever else after that and well into Uni, work, marriage, ...

Have you ever thought about "being ready" for something? I want to tell young people that you should look for this feeling of "being ready". As long as you still have mum and dad looking after you. You don't have to worry where your next meal will come from and what roof will be over your head tonight, you can AFFORD the great luxury of reflecting on your life and search for this readiness. You can rid of all the peer pressure and social expectations and other non-essential things.

At University level, the people who do really well are "ready" people. Some of them actually defer Uni for 2 years, get a little job, save some money, ... When they enter Uni, they are more mature, more commited, having a bit of money to back them up, have a little comfort that money and confidence bring. For the guys, having a bit more maturity and money means dating the better looking girls. We all know girls like boys with more maturity and confidence. I am not sure what older girls would have as an advantage but surely a bit more maturrity means more charm.

It may not click immediately but I want to tell you guys now that the bit of experience you get from working at KFC, Woolies or McDonald will help a long way in University and later working life. A bit of the real world will give you confidence to ride through University and reach you first real job. There is nothing worse than going to Uni and start to feel "not ready". This is particularly true to those who have been getting the best coaching all your life! Private coaching is a curse. It kills off the ability for students to self-study. In your first week at University they expect you to read 10 books. Every lecturer treats students like the students only study his/her subject. They throw you down a fast running river and expect you to swim or die. As the result many students who got it easy at school due to all this coaching sink badly at University.

Some people who are more mature tend to research their options carefully. They customise study for their own personal ability and circumstances. They want to get excellent results. They often spread it out like adding one more year into their course of study. There is nothing to stop you from doing that even at HSC level. It's the peer pressure and the expectation of parents that cause so much damage. if you don't feel completely ready for the HSC, it's best to defer 1 year. Concentrate on a number of subjects that you are not good at in year 12. Change school to avoid the look of acquaintances. Repeat year 12 again at a different school and concentrate on getting excellent results in all subjects. Enter University with confidence. Then also think about doing the Uni course at the pace you like so that you get the best results.

By giving yourself control over your course of studies, you will realise that adding a couple of years into your learning path may make a huge difference. That couple of years become so tiny comparing to 35-40 years of your life later after the HSC. But the couple of extra years may be the difference between being just a simple professional and being a boss, a director or even a CEO in a good company. It's not intelligence that take you tothe top. It's learned skills, maturity, organisation and wisdom that take you to the top.

I wished I had parental support and a chance to go through HSC in a normal way like most of you guys here. I wished I had the security of knowing where my next meal come from and had a roof over my head provided by parents. Even though I have done well enough, I knew that I would have done much better if I had time like most of you here.

You only get one good shot at it, so it pays to do it when you are READY!

Albertingu

HSC
Let me give you a bit of my older perspective and wisdom. I think you say it well but a little more of input about life after HSC will help you to put things into perspective. I have seen cases where some kids knew that he woul do poorly in the HSC. But at the same time the parents and the kid refuse flatlythe idea of delaying for 1 year or redo the HSC again. For one moment, imagine you are having a problem like an accident or a mental break down or becoming a fugitive for some reason where you life is at stake. Imagine you hide away in some cave wishing your life would come back to normal. Suddenly you realise that the HSC is meaningless and you can always wait for 1 year and hopefully you will do it next year. The problem is all in the mind. People become so tired after 13 years of schooling that they want to finish it off regardless of what they would get. They don't wantto wait until their feel ready! This is what's wrong with the system. It encourages people to do things when they are not really. It lets kids move on to next grade even if they badly fail the current one. We have 80% of people who are not ready to move on but they move on any way.

This problem will haunt 80% of people throughout 13 years of their school life, then whatever else after that and well into Uni, work, marriage, ...

Have you ever thought about "being ready" for something? I want to tell young people that you should look for this feeling of "being ready". As long as you still have mum and dad looking after you. You don't have to worry where your next meal will come from and what roof will be over your head tonight, you can AFFORD the great luxury of reflecting on your life and search for this readiness. You can rid of all the peer pressure and social expectations and other non-essential things.

At University level, the people who do really well are "ready" people. Some of them actually defer Uni for 2 years, get a little job, save some money, ... When they enter Uni, they are more mature, more commited, having a bit of money to back them up, have a little comfort that money and confidence bring. For the guys, having a bit more maturity and money means dating the better looking girls. We all know girls like boys with more maturity and confidence. I am not sure what older girls would have as an advantage but surely a bit more maturrity means more charm.

It may not click immediately but I want to tell you guys now that the bit of experience you get from working at KFC, Woolies or McDonald will help a long way in University and later working life. A bit of the real world will give you confidence to ride through University and reach you first real job. There is nothing worse than going to Uni and start to feel "not ready". This is particularly true to those who have been getting the best coaching all your life! Private coaching is a curse. It kills off the ability for students to self-study. In your first week at University they expect you to read 10 books. Every lecturer treats students like the students only study his/her subject. They throw you down a fast running river and expect you to swim or die. As the result many students who got it easy at school due to all this coaching sink badly at University.

Some people who are more mature tend to research their options carefully. They customise study for their own personal ability and circumstances. They want to get excellent results. They often spread it out like adding one more year into their course of study. There is nothing to stop you from doing that even at HSC level. It's the peer pressure and the expectation of parents that cause so much damage. if you don't feel completely ready for the HSC, it's best to defer 1 year. Concentrate on a number of subjects that you are not good at in year 12. Change school to avoid the look of acquaintances. Repeat year 12 again at a different school and concentrate on getting excellent results in all subjects. Enter University with confidence. Then also think about doing the Uni course at the pace you like so that you get the best results.

By giving yourself control over your course of studies, you will realise that adding a couple of years into your learning path may make a huge difference. That couple of years become so tiny comparing to 35-40 years of your life later after the HSC. But the couple of extra years may be the difference between being just a simple professional and being a boss, a director or even a CEO in a good company. It's not intelligence that take you tothe top. It's learned skills, maturity, organisation and wisdom that take you to the top.

I wished I had parental support and a chance to go through HSC in a normal way like most of you guys here. I wished I had the security of knowing where my next meal come from and had a roof over my head provided by parents. Even though I have done well enough, I knew that I would have done much better if I had time like most of you here.

You only get one good shot at it, so it pays to do it when you are READY!

I agrii! I works at KFC and this help me understand language engliash beta I go to college now i will have expeeriience of kfc to help this acomplish of college.

Thank for poast

doberman

HSC
It's definitely not a three hour exam this year? My brother wrote a three hour exam in '06.. better check to make sure guys.

5233andy

HSC
If only I could sing along to Sinatra's song, "My Way"...

What's done is done, I suppose [all that lazing about, my marks that are beyond the capacity of being salvaged]...

Nonetheless, good luck to everyone; merry Christmas and I wish you all a prosperous 2010 [DJs is starting to sell Christmas decor, so I'm assuming we've approached that time of year...).

Moneyequalmarks

HSC
Look people, sure the HSC is very important but as long as you don't do dropkick subjects like standard eng or gen maths you aren't going to do badly... everyone else does the work and is smart enough to do well...even if your freaking out it is probably a good thing as it means you unlike many others actually realise how important the exams are and care...anyway if you go to a good school ie a private school your fairly guaranteed to do well

Angel_a

HSC
great article!!
thanks for the motivation!!!!
im going to study hardcore from this moment onward!! (lol)
a week to go for my first exam!
good luck everyone =)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
great article!!
thanks for the motivation!!!!
im going to study hardcore from this moment onward!! (lol)
a week to go for my first exam!
good luck everyone =)
If you are only a week away, you should be taking holiday! A tired mind won't do well in exams. It's often that many students think they are not ready so they study right to the end. Those who feel that they are ready now and want to do it right now are the ones who would have more confidence in exams. A lot of the time you may be ready but you think you are not. This is a psychological barrier that one must overcome, bite your teeth, relax and take days off to have fun. Say to yourself, "I could not have done any better preparation. It won't be any better if I study right the day before".

I have a young kid. My kid always took about 1-2 weeks off to play ( deliberately become very laid-back at school and only play at home) before an important exam/test. It always worked to gain the best possible marks.

My advice to HSC takers is to stop study, relax and have fun from now. Eat well, sleep well, ... if you cannot take your mind off academic stuff, just relax and think about questions you did not time to think about before (try to make sense out of things you did not quite understand) to kill off the waiting time.

Paradox.101

HSC
Your post was insipirational to all procrastinators out there but it also made me shit my pants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)