14 units for HSC (1 Viewer)

ezgiarda

HSC
What are everyone's thoughts on doing 14 units for HSC? Would it be too difficult or with some dedication would it be possible to handle the extra work load?
For my prelims I did chemistry, physics, engineering studies, ESL, maths, maths extension 1 and french continuers and for hsc I want to keep them all and pick up extension 2 maths.
My ranks from yr11 are:
Chem: 3/24 - cumulative score of 92%
Engineering Studies: 1/37 - 95%
ESL: 1/7 - 93%
French Continuers: 1/7 - 98%
Mathematics: 4/66 - 92%
Maths Extension 1: 4/29 - 77%
Physics: 3/26 - 83%
Though my schools ranking is pretty bad.
The reason I want to do maths extension 2 is that I want to go to a uni in Europe and for most universities, I have to complete the highest maths course. I kept French as I believe I would be able to get a really high result with least amount of effort, though we got a new teacher and she expects so much more work to be done which is really time consuming and I see that time as a waste though it's my best subject so not sure if I should drop it. In engineering studies, I was doing pretty well and although I still like the subject I don't enjoy it as much as my other subjects and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a good mark in HSC for engineering studies. For some reason I feel like I wouldn't be able to. Chemistry is my favourite subject, there is no way I'd drop chemistry. And for physics, my teacher thinks I'm capable of doing much better, and I think so too. With more effort I could definitely get around 90%.
So what do you guys think? Should I keep them all or what should I drop?

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
14 units is crazy! You could always see how you go after the first assessments and then drop then. Why do 14 when only 10 units count? Good Luck :)

ezgiarda

HSC
Which subject would you drop if you were me? Thanks by the way :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Keep them until the summer holidays. Focus on what you like the most and think will get you the highest marks.
You have a very big cohort for engineering studies, much bigger than French.
Just drop something before april next year and you should be fine.
Take your time as there is no going back.

ezgiarda

HSC
yeah I'll probably end up dropping something as well, maybe after summer holidays

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm doing 14, though one of mine is non-ATAR, and I don't have any plans to drop anything. If you like your subjects and you think you can handle it then why not? It's only one more unit than you've been doing all year.

ezgiarda

HSC
Yeah, that's something I've considered but then people tell me doing 14 units doesn't have many advantages. Are you keeping all your units just because you like them?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Drop a subject that you don't enjoy or not you're good at.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^ your weakest or most hated subject. 14 units is a huge workload to balance, with family and social life (not sure if you will have that), but time management will be very important.

When exam and assessments time, you inadvertly will have much more to do than others.

Last edited:

studybuddy101

HSC
I took 13 units into the HSC and didn't find it bad at all. The only downside was i had to sit the extra tests my friends on 10 units didn't have so exam periods felt a bit tedious. Throughout the year though i found myself studying smarter than i think i would have if i only had 10 units, guess it depends if you feel you're going to relax when you "only" have 10 to worry about. I'd recommend taking them all at least into the first term of 2014 and if you're coping then just keep em, nothing wrong with it and could actually motivate you to study better (plus you'll be developing those essential skills like essay writing etc that get refined with lots of practise - not to mention great exam technique when you've done way more tests than the 10 unit guys, you'll feel pretty confident come HSC).

ezgiarda

HSC
I was thinking that it would motivate me to study better as well studybuddy101
Everyone is different I guess, my only concern is if I'll be able to balance it with my social life as extension 2 maths will be taking most of my time. I'll wait and see and then decide, thank you

HAX0R

HSC
Drop chem or physics (whichever one you like) and drop IPT. Pick up MX2.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah, that's something I've considered but then people tell me doing 14 units doesn't have many advantages. Are you keeping all your units just because you like them?
Yeah, I really love all of my subjects and just couldn't choose one to drop. My rankings are all the same as well so I struggle to work out which are my best and worst subjects. I don't regret it thus far, I really enjoy them and can't imagine dropping any of them. It's a bit of work, yeah, but it's not so bad when you like the content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)