HSC
Right now I'm doing:

-Physics 2u
-Chemistry 2u
-Modern History 2u
-Economics 2u
-Mathematics 3u
-English 3u

So far everyone I've talked to is saying that 14 is too much. I'm thinking that maybe I should drop modern history - Have any people here gone through year 11 with 14 units? Was there too much of a workload?

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
one of my friend went through year 11 with 16 units then year 12 with 15. Some people tried to convince him to drop. In the end, he ended up with an atar of 87.

random bus

HSC
drop modern 14 units is way too much.

i had 13 units at the start of yr 12 found it way too hard to keep up with the work load so i droped gen math ,which would have scaled shit. now with 11 it's all gud .

blaketat

Inextirpable Benevolence.
HSC
I also think 14 is way too much.
I'm currently in Year 12 and I do 11 units, which I'm far preoccupied with! lol.

kcqn93

HSC
If you can manage time well and enjoy your subjects you should keep them.

I have 13 units and I'm 1st and 2nd for most of subjects but English... and I'm planning to keep all 13 unless I do extremely bad in one.

Sammy2011

HSC
Thats the same problem I'm facing; I'm doing 15 units this year, granted that my TAFE cource of Animal Care counts for 2 units, so I'm doing 13 through school.

I would have to say that I think you can get away with 14 units through year 11. Not much of your marks will count towards the HSC, and this way you will discover what subject you like/are good at.

As for me, I'm dropping Animal Care after this year, which will leave me with a Certificate II in Animal Care. Then I will have 13 units, which I plan on keeping all the way through (Unless I fail really badly in one)

Last edited:

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I did almost EXACTLY the same subjects as you for year 11! Just swap physics with HSC agriculture, and that was me.
I actually found it quite difficult with 14 units. But that may have been because I had a HSC subject last year so I concentrated more on it, seeing as it was the most important one. I found that I was forced to neglect some units [my maths ones ><;"] in order to do well in others. But that may have been because I had poor time management.
I'd suggest seeing how you go for the time being and then dropping something if you feel you aren't coping. Which one you should drop depends on what you like and what area you're thinking of studying in uni. Based solely on scaling I guess mod would be the best one to drop [then you'd be left with the asian scale bomb lol] but in my opinion it's a much more rewarding and interesting subject than phys ;] It's my favourite subject so I would never willingly encourage anyone to drop it >_o. But of course, it depends on where your interests lie.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 15units in yr11 and am doing 14units right now. How you cope depends on the person. Some people can handle the workload of all the different subjects, and some get overwhelmed and drop down. For me, the work was manageable although it got a little stressful around exam time, and I tended to fall behind in german. But it might be different for you.

Why don't you try keeping all your subjects for now, and then if you want to you can drop something later? Good luck :]

prah

HSC
14 is fine for the preliminary course, although imo its a bit much for the HSC.

Personally I would still do the 14 units to at least get a taste of all the courses; your tastes could change over the course of the year and you could find yourself loving modern for instance. If you absolutely hate modern then drop it, but if your just dropping it because of the work load, don't. It can't hurt to try as you can always drop it later down the line.

Klutsov

HSC
14 is fine for the preliminary course, although imo its a bit much for the HSC.

Personally I would still do the 14 units to at least get a taste of all the courses; your tastes could change over the course of the year and you could find yourself loving modern for instance. If you absolutely hate modern then drop it, but if your just dropping it because of the work load, don't. It can't hurt to try as you can always drop it later down the line.
Agreed

William92

HSC
Depends on you and how well you manage the workload. Give it a go and if it doesn't work out drop something.

Oobadoo

HSC
You do the exact same as me, only I do art instead of economics. I'm in the same dialemma. People have been saying 14 units will be too much, so I'm thinking of dropping physics (or perhaps something else). Also, because my school college thing is split into two campuses, I have to catch a bus to the other one for each chemistry class (extreeeemely annoying). The thing is, if I drop art, I can do chem at my campus!!!! WHAT TO DO!!!!?????

dan2452

HSC
It looks like a lot of people are in the same position as me :D

I think that now I will try to go through the preliminary course with 14 units and maybe drop a subject for the HSC - providing that the workload is easy enough to cope with.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did 16 for Prelim, then now I do 14.

Workload is... interesting, I have 42 assessments for my HSC year - but I'm sure I'll cope fine.

Tofuu

HSC
Right now I'm doing:

-Physics 2u
-Chemistry 2u
-Modern History 2u
-Economics 2u
-Mathematics 3u
-English 3u

So far everyone I've talked to is saying that 14 is too much. I'm thinking that maybe I should drop modern history - Have any people here gone through year 11 with 14 units? Was there too much of a workload?

keep it for the prelim, use the results you get (and if you like it or not) to decide if you're going to drop anything

don't let scaling and all get in the way of your decision because with the subjects you're doing you'll be fine with a decent-good mark

klara-klara

HSC
keep it for the prelim, use the results you get (and if you like it or not) to decide if you're going to drop anything

don't let scaling and all get in the way of your decision because with the subjects you're doing you'll be fine with a decent-good mark
I did 13 units for year 11 and was pretty fine with it, i think 14 is too much for yr 12, but maybe just wait and see what your results from this year are before dropping a subject - you may be really really good at modern, or find that it is the subject that you enjoy the most.

See how you go.

chakibu

HSC
Don't let other students tell you what you can and can't handle. You obviously chose fourteen units of study for a reason, and if you can handle it, then that's great for you. I'm also doing fourteen units, by the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)