15 units, What subject/s should i drop? (1 Viewer)

future-doctor

HSC
Hey guys just need some advice on what subject i should drop, which i feel that i need to do urgently, you know get some of the weight off my back.

My subjects are:

• Extension English
  • Extension Mathematics
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Modern History
  • Studies of Religion 1

I enjoy all my subjects, except RE, but it is compulsory, which i don't mind as i score approx. 90-100% in assessments with little effort. With my other subjects, i am ranked if not top 5, at least top 10 for all subjects. However, the dilemma is that my efforts are being stretched out, meaning that rather than working 100% in each subject, i am working at what feels like 90% possibly less. I believe i have the potential to come first in each of my subjects and possibly reach 99+ ATAR, if i was able to focus on a small number of subjects, as oppose to my ridiculous 15 units.

All advices/opinions would be much appreciated :)

with-chu

HSC
Mm since you enjoy all of those subjects, I'd think about their relative scaling... And definitely one of your sciences.
I'd drop bio and modern history.

future-doctor

HSC
Yeh i was thinking Modern History, however i come first in each of the assessments with little effort and i am confident i can get a band six. Sacrifice?

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
rank your subs in order of strongest to weakest and eliminate the bottom 2... and if english is in the bottom 2, eliminate the third worst and the other bad one.,,,

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Uh you guys do realise Modern scales better than Bio and depending on your marks, better than Phys and Chem? That said, drop your worst 2.

alex09hsc

HSC
Believe it or not, you're actually in an extremely enviable position. You're doing 15 units that all scale well enough.

15 is definitely unnecessary.

I'd reccommend keeping all 3 units of English as it is the only thing guaranteed to contribute, regardless, and an extra unit doesn't hurt - it can only be beneficial. So that combined with SR1 gives you 4 that you're keeping.

You basically have to decide how many units you feel safe with etc. Given that you have 15, you're probably capable of handling 12 or 13, which only adds security.

You could even drop two 2 unit subjects and have 11, but just from my own experience 12 really helped me a lot as one subject I flunked in so bad.

Just think about it until you start school, I'd only drop the one you hate the most, but it's entirely your choice!

Don't worry about scaling with those subjects, maybe consider your ranks though....

But yeah, 15 is ridiciulous.

HSC
Hey guys just need some advice on what subject i should drop, which i feel that i need to do urgently, you know get some of the weight off my back.

My subjects are:

• Extension English
  • Extension Mathematics
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Modern History
  • Studies of Religion 1
I enjoy all my subjects, except RE, but it is compulsory, which i don't mind as i score approx. 90-100% in assessments with little effort. With my other subjects, i am ranked if not top 5, at least top 10 for all subjects. However, the dilemma is that my efforts are being stretched out, meaning that rather than working 100% in each subject, i am working at what feels like 90% possibly less. I believe i have the potential to come first in each of my subjects and possibly reach 99+ ATAR, if i was able to focus on a small number of subjects, as oppose to my ridiculous 15 units.

All advices/opinions would be much appreciated :)
i would drop ext english...lol...srsly

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Drop Biology and RE.

If they say it's compulsory, complain to the BoS - if you really hate it.

future-doctor

HSC
Thanks guys for the advice! I'm considering maybe dropping one of the extensions or Modern History, hopefully i can come to a decision by the time school starts :D

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
IF YOU DROP MODERN YOU'LL REGRET IT FOR LIFE.
Not really, but still.
It's the best subject there is!

If I were in your position I'd drop one of the sciences (doesn't it get a bit heavy doing all three?). If you were to drop a science, I'd say drop bio, not because of the scaling or anything, but because if you need it later on, everyone says bio's really easy to pick up in bridging courses and the like. And chem & phys give you more options (like engineering for example).
And probably ext english, like everyone else said.

proletariat

HSC
Do NOT drop extension english if youre going to have 11 units or more.

If you stuff up advanced english, you have extension english to bouce on, which is much easier since you do one thing for the whole year.

If you have more than 10 units, and are doing more than 2 units of english, they count your best two units of english incase you stuff up. And with how retarted last 09's HSC English paper was, you'll be better off with Extension english and 11 / 12 units. I'd have done the same if I wasn't so crap at physics.

How well do you go with maths? Maths generally takes up a lot of time for people and unless you get heaps good in it, its better to drop to 2 units, or so I've found.

Rank your subjects on Work you put in > Compared to Mark.
Then look at scaling and make your own judgement.

Last edited:

MetroMattums

HSC
Modern History + Science.

Drop Physics if you don't like applying mathematical concepts.
Drop Chemistry if you don't like writing extensively on social aspects of chemistry.

Don't know about Biology though.

future-doctor

HSC
Man now i don't know what to drop haha. The thing is i'm what some may describe as an all-rounder haha. I'm well and truly interested in all areas of science (except possibly space/astronomy :burn:)and i do well in it. I also enjoy maths and i obtain relatively high marks, I have a great memory which allows me to top Modern History with ease, along with my above average english/literacy skills.

My only major problem is TIME during exams, but other than that i have been told by several teachers that i am guaranteed 95+ ATAR. I believe i am able to achieve this, however i'd feel more confident being able to focus equally on each subject, rather than juggling them.

Oh and just to clear things up, I am no super genius kid unlike some of the people on BoS (if only :p), although i am intelligent to an extent, my academic success is a result of hard work and determination to fulfill my life dream. :rofl:

ilikebeeef

HSC
Oh and just to clear things up, I am no super genius kid
Yeah, sure. ;)

Man now i don't know what to drop haha. The thing is i'm what some may describe as an all-rounder haha. I'm well and truly interested in all areas of science (except possibly space/astronomy :burn:)and i do well in it. I also enjoy maths and i obtain relatively high marks, I have a great memory which allows me to top Modern History with ease, along with my above average english/literacy skills.

My only major problem is TIME during exams, but other than that i have been told by several teachers that i am guaranteed 95+ ATAR.
Try and drop SOR1 if you can, I believe you can complain to the BOS if your school won't let you. And maybe drop bio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)