2005 HSC Art Major works (1 Viewer)

get_born

nwatts

HSC
last_chance: That's quite cool. :) I'd love to see them all set up as a proper installation. Perhaps when you exhibit your works at school or somewhere you can take along a camera and get a shot of it all set up.

You mentioned videos? What are they of?

chamelia: Very nice work there. Reminds me of some of the vector stuff that digital artists produce. Is that one on the top left of the four framed ones Jeff Buckley by any chance? You have some very fine skills.

Suki: Some cool texture work (probably already been said!). What concept are you exploring?

pear head

HSC
Leah.Midd said:
im heaps pissed off....i only got 40/50 for my internal mark and my teacher wants to take out 3 of my images. This is after ive shown her fifty times and discussed wot ones will b included! i hate her and quite frankly i hate my artwork!

i HATE my teacher too...i could go on and on about all the things that annoy me about her. Man, TWICE, she told me to pretend shes not there when i approach her. what kind of teacher hides from their students when they need a bit of help?Jeeeez...im glad i wont be seeing her again after this year..hopefully

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
sigh... alot of poeple in my classes hated the teachers too because they were trying (in a very nice way) to make a work better where it had faults.

It's very hard to accept that your work isn't pefect, especially after spending near 2 years working on it.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
sigh... alot of poeple in my classes hated the teachers too because they were trying (in a very nice way) to make a work better where it had faults.

It's very hard to accept that your work isn't pefect, especially after spending near 2 years working on it.
I don't get that either...people think they know better then someone who has studied art at uni and also viewed many years of hsc art from being a teacher and a marker....

:D anyway so happy it's all over. will post up the finished works sooner or later....maybe never!

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
I know my teacher is crap because of the contrast between her and the advice saught from other art teachers. I'm sure those who complain about the teacher don't do it purely because they disagree with advice given. There must be some comparison.

There are people in my year who certainly do have a better eye for art than our teacher. However, I give her credit for knowing different tricks on how to score better with BOS markers. It just depends on how much you want to pander for marks in comparison to actually creating stunning artwork.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
? you're doing the hsc to pander for marks... if u want to make 'stunning artwork' that perhaps doesn't fit into the hsc majorwork paradigm u should do it with ur free time.

get_born

nwatts said:
last_chance: That's quite cool. :) I'd love to see them all set up as a proper installation. Perhaps when you exhibit your works at school or somewhere you can take along a camera and get a shot of it all set up.

You mentioned videos? What are they of?

chamelia: Very nice work there. Reminds me of some of the vector stuff that digital artists produce. Is that one on the top left of the four framed ones Jeff Buckley by any chance? You have some very fine skills.

Suki: Some cool texture work (probably already been said!). What concept are you exploring?
lol. by videos i meant that my other two panels were taken by video camera - they didnt fit on one single photo. The panels are thin and rectangular and one is blue and the other red. From top view they look like street maps, and inbetween Ive cut out photos of bustops, signs, paths, and so on, which in the end symbolise "moving on" and "letting go" - which is the title of my collection of work.

chamelia

HSC
nwatts said:
Thankya. :) Yeh that is Jeff Buckley. I adore him.

I got 39.25/50 by the way for anyone who was interested...

nwatts

HSC
last_chance said:
lol. by videos i meant that my other two panels were taken by video camera - they didnt fit on one single photo. The panels are thin and rectangular and one is blue and the other red. From top view they look like street maps, and inbetween Ive cut out photos of bustops, signs, paths, and so on, which in the end symbolise "moving on" and "letting go" - which is the title of my collection of work.
Ah, I see. It sounds pretty cool though. The kind of thing that would just be great to stand around, rather than look at images over the internet.

Oh, and titles! I've completely forgotten about them! Hah! We're exhibiting our pieces tomorrow afternoon. Better whip something crazy up in time.

chamelia said:
Thankya. :) Yeh that is Jeff Buckley. I adore him.

I got 39.25/50 by the way for anyone who was interested...
Yeah, I'm a big Jeff Buckley fan too. Loved his live set on Triple J's Impossible Music Festival over the weekend too. Such a good live performer.

And that mark, is that from your last assessment?

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
? you're doing the hsc to pander for marks... if u want to make 'stunning artwork' that perhaps doesn't fit into the hsc majorwork paradigm u should do it with ur free time.
I guess you're right.

*adds another thing to the list of "things wrong to the HSC" that already spans 46 pages!*

I just feel our teacher too often compromises artistic integrity in attempts to get more marks. Example: a friend has done a large series (of around 14 i think) of canvas paintings that are just superb. If she'd entered about 9 of them (those which are more resolved, slightly more detail etc.) she'd have an amazing body of work, showcasing a wide range of ideas and material, all of stunning quality.

Our teacher suggested she grab two other pieces, wrap them in bubblewrap, enter the whole as an installation artwork, attach a "to mr XX, curator of YY" to then make comments on the artworld. Because she thought this would get her more marks. The entire warmth of her collection was lost with these two very jarring pieces wrapped in bubblewrap, making an obviously very forced comment on the artworld.

I may sound a bit whiney, but I (and the rest of the class) thought it was such a silly idea that truly killed the warming and bright atmosphere surrounding her body of work.

This is one example of about five or six where her decisions have led to a stronger, but very much more forced, "comment" on something that has compromised artistry/aesthetics. Because she feels that a comment is more important than having a strong body of work.

Admittedly, coming to assessment time, she completely changes her mind - giving marks to those whose body looks good rather than those who have more conceptual strength. Another reason I don't like her: can't make up her bloody mind!

get_born

nwatts said:
Ah, I see. It sounds pretty cool though. The kind of thing that would just be great to stand around, rather than look at images over the internet.

Oh, and titles! I've completely forgotten about them! Hah! We're exhibiting our pieces tomorrow afternoon. Better whip something crazy up in time.

Yeah, I'm a big Jeff Buckley fan too. Loved his live set on Triple J's Impossible Music Festival over the weekend too. Such a good live performer.

And that mark, is that from your last assessment?
my cousin lives in Wollongong - theres a really ugly factory up there that lets out alot of black smoke - his dad works there- what high school do you go to?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Admittedly, coming to assessment time, she completely changes her mind - giving marks to those whose body looks good rather than those who have more conceptual strength. Another reason I don't like her: can't make up her bloody mind!
To be honest i've never been a fan of conceptual artworks. I think it's much better to focus on making something aesthically pleasing, and with that the respondent can make up their own meaning... which they will do whether you want them to or not.

get_born

nwatts said:
Yep. Big ugly factories = BHP.

I'm at the Illawarra Christian School btw.
Would have been cool if you went to the same school as my cuz, Oh well... :eek:

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
To be honest i've never been a fan of conceptual artworks. I think it's much better to focus on making something aesthically pleasing, and with that the respondent can make up their own meaning... which they will do whether you want them to or not.
My issue was with her inability to make a decision and stick to it. If she prefers aesthetics, then fine. If she prefers conceptual strength, fine. Even both is fine. But when her mind changes on a daily basis, it can become very irritating to be in her classroom.

I personally agree with you- but not everyone is brilliant with creating aesthetically perfect artworks, but has very interesting and valid things to say, in which case I think conceptual artwork has its place.

The likes of Orlan and Stelarc produce replusive artwork, but make very strong comments on the artworld, on the human character, technology etc.. These artworks are equally worthy of praise as those who create aesthetically pleasing pieces that aren't always conceptually strong.

I guess it is Australian artists like George Gittoes and Peter Booth who take from both sides in their artworks who deserve the most praise.

nwatts

HSC
last_chance said:
Would have been cool if you went to the same school as my cuz, Oh well... :eek:
Yeah we're pretty small. There's only 30 students in my year. Out of interest, what school is your cousin at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)