• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2006 Unsw Co-ops (1 Viewer)

milkyways

HSC
mr_shittles said:
thats not quite right. i do accounting, and i'm an ugly bastard.
so that just proves they don't select ppl based on looks and i guess hope for everyone.
Sorry, I forgot to add "according to the 2005 Co-ops featured in the brochure ".
You should be a 2004 Co-op, so I can't comment.

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
he wasnt in the 2004 brochure either for that matter :p nor was i in the 2005 lest youd have a different opinion of it ;)

and L:DL at the application discriminating against ugly people :p i so remember going thru 2006 applications and photos, that was fun. but nah, it IS based on the content of your application. but where did you get the idea of 2005 coops being good?? lol nvm ill stay quiet lest ill get shot. lets just say heres to hoping for '06

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Then again, it is a required part of the application form that you have to attach a photo of yourself..

milkyways

HSC
Sharpshooter: When abouts is the Leadership Camp? How long is it?

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
milkyways said:
Sharpshooter: When abouts is the Leadership Camp? How long is it?
cant help ya. this year is the first year they are doing it in first year, normally its in like 4th year. but there are photos in the coop office that look pretty cool, apart from that youd probably know more abt it that me ;)

there is also coop camp, seperate to leadership camp but im assuming u mean the latter

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Terrence just emailed the dates for the leadership camp. They're opening it up to all years in 2006 (except first years).

milkyways

HSC
Do you guys know the % of CO-OPs that end up working for the sponsoring firms?

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
im assuming you mean after they graduate..

but pretty much everyone? the sponsors arent bad :p

also, from an accounting point of view anyways, sponsors inc all the big 4 plus 2 middle tier, mgmt acct, pretty much most options open to grads are sponsors... Matt correct me if im wrong there :)

oh yea, and relating to the posts abt averages la-de-da. fins coops need D avg coz their program includes honours, and ALL students applying for fins honours need a D avg, so its more consistency than unfairness.

oh and L:DL @ 1st yr acct coops on D avgs. lol maybe in your year Matt but mines slightly more lazy and arent crazy abt marks. then again apparently your yr had their fair share of rifs regarding IT1 placements

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
milkyways said:
Do you guys know the % of CO-OPs that end up working for the sponsoring firms?
a rough guess would be about half for acctg. a fair few acctg finance double majors do ib or consulting, as opposed to going into big4s or industry.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
i cant believe some of you guys are whinging about the averages you have to keep up (earlier this thread), i mean fuck..these guys are paying you while you study for little work that will add to experience and you are complaining.
get over yourselves

sunny

meh.
HSC
Exeter said:
i cant believe some of you guys are whinging about the averages you have to keep up
heh...keep in mind these guys haven't started uni yet, and they have no idea what to expect or how hard/easy it is to maintain a certain average...

Exeter said:
these guys are paying you while you study for little work
I quote one of my friends about our current IT:
fsck so much work..man work is becoming so stressful...its worse than having 4 assignments due on the same night..every night..argh!
(not to freak the 1st years out, but he's just stressed)

A good sponsor will treat you like a real employee and integrate you into their operations...if we're lucky with our current project at work, we're going to have something on the market with a major telco in April...the pilots start next week :)

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
lol ITs not all that great. but the experience is worth it n all so i wont complain abt that.

in all honesty i dont think many ppl can complain abt averages needed, cept maybe fins coops, D avg's you generally need to work for and whilst you say as above, well if they dont get it they risk loosing their money/experience etc. thus some more pressure to keep the tempo up in uni ;)

milkyways

HSC
So during your IT, will they ever get you to come in on weekends or do overtime? And, do the sponsors expect a lot from you? I've heard of Co-ops making extraordinary achievements during their IT.

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
lol well we'll see what happens to the finance coops as they go along as far as dramatic overtime goes ;)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
milkyways said:
So during your IT, will they ever get you to come in on weekends or do overtime? And, do the sponsors expect a lot from you? I've heard of Co-ops making extraordinary achievements during their IT.
If you're sponsor asks you to work weekends or considerable overtime (after 7pm), you should negotiate an hourly rate so they can appropriately remunerate you.

Depending on the sponsor they will have expecatitions. Usually they'll expect you to contribute a fair bit, and in most cases students are able to contribute. It all comes down to effort, if you put the effort in and show a keen interest in their business, then you can make a really good impression.

After all, when you get your evaluation back and they give you a good rating, then it makes you feel valued.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
anyone else going to the bootcamp from 3rd to 5th of march?

how's the attendance rate?

is this the compulsory camp they talk about?

milkyways

HSC
haboozin said:
anyone else going to the bootcamp from 3rd to 5th of march?

how's the attendance rate?

is this the compulsory camp they talk about?
I think it might be, but it does say "limited number of places", so I am not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)