2007 Mtp Forum (1 Viewer)

~kiki

HSC
rubificticious said:
Ahh... yes. I heard about that before.
Not sure how they're doing it this year.
Perhaps that's how they're doing it.

And, like OMG, one of my friends, her nickname is kiki, kiko etc, and she does VA, Textiles and Ancient. Like, WOW!
hah hah. Awesome! =P

An update to my previous post: I spoke to one of the senior textiles markers and apparently we get our projects back regardless of whether we got into texstyle or not (so don't go cutting up your MTP in frustration =P) We will only hear whether or not we got in around the 12th of Novembr :). Tee hee.. how exciting ^^.

HSC
Really.... i thought they keep it for textyle... do u noe wen we get our MTP back?

bethrealistic

HSC
Something I just found out:

You can get bonus UAI points if you want to study Fashion and Textile Design at UTS, depending on what subjects you studied for your HSC!
So we now have a better chance of getting in.

Here is the number of points you can get...
Go here http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/study/hscbonus-cal.cfm and click on the name of the course you want to do.

Last edited:
HSC
~kiki said:
hah hah. Awesome! =P

An update to my previous post: I spoke to one of the senior textiles markers and apparently we get our projects back regardless of whether we got into texstyle or not (so don't go cutting up your MTP in frustration =P) We will only hear whether or not we got in around the 12th of Novembr :). Tee hee.. how exciting ^^.
Oooh, that is quite exciting!
Oh, imagine someone did cut it up because they were pissy and then to only find out they got selected! Oh, dear! It makes me sad.

HSC
Mannnn, it wud be gud to get in2 textstyle
how seriouly thinks they have a chance>?

bethrealistic

HSC
I'd seriously like to think I have a chance... but my project is probably too boring, not enough machine embroidery and fabric pizza, haha.

But our school (despite having some fantastic projects, in my opinion) has only ever ONCE had an MTP exhibited at Texstyle.

So I'm thinking maybe the people who decide have something against my textiles teacher, haha. =P

HSC
Oh, look, who knows. I've seen some fantastic works in the past from our school, and they weren't entered, and the girl who recently got in, didn't do anything fantastic.
I think it depends on the BOS markers mood!
But hey, it is hard to get in, so we can't really predict.
Also, my teacher was saying they choose a mixture of Focus Areas to get like a variety in the works on display, understandibly, so you could have a fantastic MTP, but there may be something similar done before, or there are too many of that Focus Area.

Does anyone who went to the Textyles 2006 remember how many Textile Arts there were? From my memory, I only remember the one, which came first, the Alic in Wonderland one.

Oh, and are you asked? Can you reject? That would be funny.

katherineham

HSC
OMG that is so exciting bout the bonus points 2 het into fashion at UTS...thats means i will probly only need 85 now...assuming i get a band 6...which i'm on track for at the moment...WWWWOOO so excited...i love u who eva u r that posted that site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks a billion

HSC
I heard that sometimes they dont all pick the ones that get a band 6 just cuz they fit well on display etc
also
on 40 out of the 2038 students who do textiles get selected
so there are some tough odds

bec111

HSC
hi fellow textiles ppl, i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is any good Textiles books/textbooks that you can buy that offers information relating to the stuff required in the syllabus... especially prop & perf and ATCFAI. We wasted so much time this year on the mtp in class and basically crammed theory at the end, now im screwed in the exam arggh.

Any help would be great thanx!

~kiki

HSC
rubificticious said:
Does anyone who went to the Textyles 2006 remember how many Textile Arts there were? From my memory, I only remember the one, which came first, the Alic in Wonderland one.

Oh, and are you asked? Can you reject? That would be funny.
There was way more then one I think. There was that sea creature wall hanging, the one about that persons gandfather, the quilt, the merry-go-round thing, those felted bowls?... from what I can remember. Also, I reckon alot of people don't get selected because their folio lets them down. People don't realise you are basically supposed to spend like 20 hours minimum on the folio and 30 on the major project, cause they are worth the same marks in the end. -- so they sepend aaages on the prac and then leave the folio till the last minute which is a huge mistake because they are 25/25 marks wise. *sigh*... I saw alot of people with great projects in our class but their folio was simply not detailed enough/ did not meet all the re-quirements.

HSC
Oh darl, i have seriolu tried l00king out 4 the textiles text bo0k, but i dun think there is 0ne!!!
:)
there must of been one out there...

HSC
~kiki said:
There was way more then one I think. There was that sea creature wall hanging, the one about that persons gandfather, the quilt, the merry-go-round thing, those felted bowls?... from what I can remember. Also, I reckon alot of people don't get selected because their folio lets them down. People don't realise you are basically supposed to spend like 20 hours minimum on the folio and 30 on the major project, cause they are worth the same marks in the end. -- so they sepend aaages on the prac and then leave the folio till the last minute which is a huge mistake because they are 25/25 marks wise. *sigh*... I saw alot of people with great projects in our class but their folio was simply not detailed enough/ did not meet all the re-quirements.
Sme as my class.... sighs

Adelya

HSC
My textiles teacher went HSC marking... the main point being that while she was there she found out a textiles text book which follows the syllabus was released a few weeks a go and she had a look at it and said it was really good... pretty exciting right :) think she might have a copy and ill see if i can find out what its called

HSC
~kiki said:
Ahh, wasn't the wall hanging a furnishing one though? That's why I wasn't sure.
Definatley the merry-go-round. I don't remember felted bowls. But, there weren't that many of the Textile Art ones that I remember. There was a great majority of the Costume Focus Area.
I definatley agree with you about the folio aspect. I know we were all pissed about having to do the folio because it greatly restricted what we could do on our MTP pracs.
20 hours on the folio! God damn! See, I don't get why the prac should have 30 hours spent on it if it's worth the same amount in the end.

Just a question, how did people decorate their folios? I know you're not exactly marked for it, but it is good if your folio has an overall decoration and feel to it.

~kiki

HSC
rubificticious said:
Just a question, how did people decorate their folios? I know you're not exactly marked for it, but it is good if your folio has an overall decoration and feel to it.
Actually, I think the presentation is pretty important to the markers-isn't there a mark for it? I though there was. If there isn't, it will certainly affect them subconsciously.

Mine was inspired by snowy landscapes and my prac project was all done in different shades of grey with touches of silver so my folio pages were decorated with verticle borders consisting of a strip of dark gray paper, overlayed with a strip of white mulberry paper which had little silver flecs in it. On my project I had created a white moth with two blood red spots, inspired by a real moth found in Europe. I found a small picture of it and printed out 12. Then I layed out all my info and stuck the moth wherever there was space, so it looked like it was sort of flitting around the folio :p This was the pic I used. Only, I just used the moth part :p http://www.sef.nu/images/arter/P_apollo.jpg

On that note-- I hope no-one did a title page. Cause we weren't supposed to.

HSC
~kiki said:
Actually, I think the presentation is pretty important to the markers-isn't there a mark for it? I though there was. If there isn't, it will certainly affect them subconsciously.

Mine was inspired by snowy landscapes and my prac project was all done in different shades of grey with touches of silver so my folio pages were decorated with verticle borders consisting of a strip of dark gray paper, overlayed with a strip of white mulberry paper which had little silver flecs in it. On my project I had created a white moth with two blood red spots, inspired by a real moth found in Europe. I found a small picture of it and printed out 12. Then I layed out all my info and stuck the moth wherever there was space, so it looked like it was sort of flitting around the folio :p This was the pic I used. Only, I just used the moth part :p http://www.sef.nu/images/arter/P_apollo.jpg

On that note-- I hope no-one did a title page. Cause we weren't supposed to.
Oh, I totally agree with you about the presentation acting subconsciously with the markers.

Oh, wow! That sounds gorgeous! In case I missed what you made, what was your project?

Yeah, I sort of did the same thing. I really got into the decorating, but it's not like it took me quite long to do, buit it turned out really thematic in the end. I used the colours of baby blue, white and gold, so what I used were a blue background A3 paper, and underneath what I stuck on were gold foil kinda patterned bits of paper, and pieces of white cut up doilies. I also incorporated a rose in my images, sticking that arond randomly like you used the moth.
I think your decoration soud beautiful! I can see it already! Oh, can I just ask, so you had the one moth picture on each page of your folio? Same size?

Oh, were we not supposed to do a title page? Arghh! My teacher definatley encouraged it, and she said we could do it. I think it also says in the syllabus or whatever something that you can have one page as a title page that doesn't get counted in the page count.
Could someone clear this up?

HSC
Nah, d.w its all gud, the title pag is not nesscesary to do, but my tacher said it good for the marker to see your product and its a good way to start off the folio.
The titlel page doesnt count for the pages but you will not recive any extra marks etc for it.

~kiki

HSC
rubificticious said:
Oh, I totally agree with you about the presentation acting subconsciously with the markers.

Oh, wow! That sounds gorgeous! In case I missed what you made, what was your project?

Yeah, I sort of did the same thing. I really got into the decorating, but it's not like it took me quite long to do, buit it turned out really thematic in the end. I used the colours of baby blue, white and gold, so what I used were a blue background A3 paper, and underneath what I stuck on were gold foil kinda patterned bits of paper, and pieces of white cut up doilies. I also incorporated a rose in my images, sticking that arond randomly like you used the moth.
I think your decoration soud beautiful! I can see it already! Oh, can I just ask, so you had the one moth picture on each page of your folio? Same size?

Oh, were we not supposed to do a title page? Arghh! My teacher definatley encouraged it, and she said we could do it. I think it also says in the syllabus or whatever something that you can have one page as a title page that doesn't get counted in the page count.
Could someone clear this up?
Actually, it didn't look as good as it sounds :p... It was pretty simple. Your pages sound great! :) In answer to your question, the moths were all the same size. In fact, on the left hand pages they were all placed in the same position and on the right they were in a random position, so it looked like it had sort of flown onto the other page :p.

I didn't post what I made, but basically I made an abstract tree trunk :p (sounds really bad) The backing was created using 3 variations of grey merino wool rops mixed with silk fibres and I molded the bottom to form rustic tassles. I then added strips of different organza in silvers and greys which I attached using wavering lines of machine embroidery. There was also a nuno-felted tree-knot that ran the entire length of the piece and a series of little knots created in silk paper. I added lines of glass beading and silk ribbon embroidery and finished it off with chunky felted tabs and a white moth which looks like the one in the picture. I created it using a technique called bagging and made a little body out of faux fur. The backing was hand sewn on so the raw edges of the felt were left exposed, and the fabric layers were left to frey/ hang down over the edge of the felt. Overall the shape was pretty streamlined. It wasn't supposed to look realistic, the focus was more on the texture of the bark etc.

Well-- our teacher told us it was better to use our inspiration page as a title page, but I guess if your teacher said it was ok, then thats fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)