2007 NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
No the knights aren't gone. there's still numerous weeks left. stop overexaggerating everything.

HSC
Wow, another win to the Roosters! I love having Freddy as coach. :D

Looks like Gaz being back helped the Dragons.
stazi said:
No the knights aren't gone. there's still numerous weeks left. stop overexaggerating everything.
Yeah, the same for the Roosters. :shy:

SyCoTiC

HSC
Every team in the bottom 8 is a chance bar Penrith to be realistic as is the chances of top 8 teams to drop out of the 8.

Hope to god the Broncos chance their arms even with the absence of Locky and Karmichael tomorrow night or else we're in for a hiding against the Eels. TUNZA TO KICK A 40/20!

HSC
SyCoTiC said:
Hope to god the Broncos chance their arms even with the absence of Locky and Karmichael tomorrow night or else we're in for a hiding against the Eels. TUNZA TO KICK A 40/20!
Yeah, IMO you guys will struggle without them, but with the inconsistency of NRL, we'll see... :)

The "baby Broncos" seem to play pretty well though.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
dragons ftw. :)
and i reckon knights have no hope. they've got far too many injuries. :p

i liked that game. they kick the field goal. my friend (knights supporter) reckons they can win. and then his heart broke with the last minute try. awesomeness.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
you can't say any particular team got no hope, you wouldn't bet your house on it.

and yes, knights have way too many injuries, last time that happened was in 2005, knights copped the spoon. the nrl schedule is indeed too hectic for the rep players. at one point, buderus played 3 games in 6 days, isn't that like a record?

i cannot see how the storms will lose another game for the rest of the season. this season has been the closest one as far as i can remember.

Teddy Lee

HSC
OMGOSH OMGOSH OMGOSH

ROOSTERS BEAT THE STORM 26-16!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I love the roosters, never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd beat the competition leaders by such a convincing margin.

Everyone just played so WELL. There was cohesion and structure and EXECUTION in attack and really good defence too, except we got lazy towards the dying minutes. Wow to John Williams' first try. Pure strength willpower there.

FREDDY!!!!!!! He's worked WONDERS for their confidence!! And they're playing like they really enjoy it now!!

ROOSTERS <3 YAYAYAYAYAY!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Teddy Lee said:
OMGOSH OMGOSH OMGOSH

ROOSTERS BEAT THE STORM 26-16!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I love the roosters, never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd beat the competition leaders by such a convincing margin.

Everyone just played so WELL. There was cohesion and structure and EXECUTION in attack and really good defence too, except we got lazy towards the dying minutes. Wow to John Williams' first try. Pure strength willpower there.

FREDDY!!!!!!! He's worked WONDERS for their confidence!! And they're playing like they really enjoy it now!!

ROOSTERS <3 YAYAYAYAYAY!
Of course it had nothing at all to do with the Storm playing poorly.

I have almost had enough with the competition this year. It may be close but the playing standard is horrible and I am sick of it. I hope it is better next year.

Teddy Lee

HSC
Actually, a survey of 100 first grade players said the majority believed the game was at a better standard than last year.

And sure the storm didn't play their best game, hoffman and geyer missing etc but the roosters aren't full strength either and let's face it, they've sucked for most of the year.

The storm should have won this one and they didn't.

Therefore Roosters win. Storm fail.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Teddy Lee said:
Actually, a survey of 100 first grade players said the majority believed the game was at a better standard than last year.
I don't care what 100 first grade players said. I watch most games and the standard of play this year has been absolutely horrible.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Of course it had nothing at all to do with the Storm playing poorly.

I have almost had enough with the competition this year. It may be close but the playing standard is horrible and I am sick of it. I hope it is better next year.
storms actually didn't play all that bad, it was the chooks who did exceptionally (hell, almost unbelieveably) well to play the storms out of their game. full credit to the roosters, and you cannot any of that away from them.

the playing standards? care to explain? it has been the same every year, there are the good games and the poorer games, but out of every game there is a winner and a loser, winners grin and losers weep. there are teams who are willing to throw the ball around, and teams just sticking to the basics, and they will do whatever to get them the 2pts. teams are not out there to entertain you, they are out there to their job - to win at whatever cost.

jees, i find your comments can be quite ignorant sometimes.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
wuddie said:
the playing standards? care to explain? it has been the same every year, there are the good games and the poorer games, but out of every game there is a winner and a loser, winners grin and losers weep. there are teams who are willing to throw the ball around, and teams just sticking to the basics, and they will do whatever to get them the 2pts. teams are not out there to entertain you, they are out there to their job - to win at whatever cost.
By poor playing standards I am referring to the constant dropped ball, missed tackles, pathetic efforts in attack, inability to score points, a ridiculous amount of inconsistency from just about every team except for the Storm and the Eagles, a ridiculous amount of inconsistency from just about all individual players, etc...

It has not been the same every year. You usually expect some teams to struggle but this year way too many have been horribly inconsistent. The 5th place team doesn't even have a winning record. The Cowboys are in 4th so you would assume they would be good but they aren't exactly playing well either.

Actually they are out to entertain me. Of course their main job is to win but we wouldn't have a competition if no one wanted to watch it. Not to mention the fact that apart from a few teams no one is winning consistently so they really aren't doing their jobs anyway.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
By poor playing standards I am referring to the constant dropped ball, missed tackles, pathetic efforts in attack, inability to score points, a ridiculous amount of inconsistency from just about every team except for the Storm and the Eagles, a ridiculous amount of inconsistency from just about all individual players, etc...

It has not been the same every year. You usually expect some teams to struggle but this year way too many have been horribly inconsistent. The 5th place team doesn't even have a winning record. The Cowboys are in 4th so you would assume they would be good but they aren't exactly playing well either.

Actually they are out to entertain me. Of course their main job is to win but we wouldn't have a competition if no one wanted to watch it. Not to mention the fact that apart from a few teams no one is winning consistently so they really aren't doing their jobs anyway.
do you even have stats on any of those things you claim? errors happen in every game, every season, every era. inconsistency is because every team is so even, no team can get on a roll (except for melb, who is in a league of their own) for an extended period. the fact that it is unpredictable, not inconsistent, is nothing less than good for the game.

no, you don't want any team to struggle, you want every team to have a fair chance to win in every game - that's how you attract the crowds, not by entertaining you, sir. if every team threw the ball around the park, you'd have a try fest and no defence in every game. sure it looks good for a while, but what a boring game.

i am glad most people aren't like you who thinks the teams are there to entertain you. the crowds are as healthy as ever and frankly, i think league will do very well without your 'support'.

HSC
Go the Roosters! :D
Wow, 3 from 3... can't really complain!
I haven't watched the game yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :)
wuddie said:
jees, i find your comments can be quite ignorant sometimes.
Yes, same here.
iamsickofyear12 said:

Remember, they are only human... :rolleyes:

HSC
nrl's falling standards:

*salary cap is working, all the talent has been spread out in the competition, and evened everything out, but it has just made every team mediocre
*more and more players are getting injured.
*emphasis on defence and stronger defences has discouraged expansive play and everyone employs safety first approach and that leads to boring games. and they even employ that poorly. the rules favour defensive teams as well, like the referees letting the defence control the ruck for a ridiculous amount of time and anyone who knows their rugby league will know that whoever can control the ruck wins the game.

the nrl is only so close this year because everyone is so mediocre, with perhaps the exception melbourne and manly (manly is debatable). at this stage, probably the top two teams are settled, and about 10-12 other teams still with a shot for the other six spots in the eight.

some telling stats:
* two teams in the top eight have a negative points differential. the cowboys, who are coming fourth, are one of them
* there are only four teams in the competition that have won more games than they have lost.

who cares if more and more people are watching league, is this good for the game?

iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't care what 100 first grade players said. I watch most games and the standard of play this year has been absolutely horrible.
agreed. i'll still watch the nrl when i can and everything, because its league, but seriously the standard of play sucks..

Last edited:

SyCoTiC

HSC
Personally I find it still as entertaining as ever to watch League despite the dropped standard in play. Call it what you like, this is modern day sport and it is a business in itself and will continue to be and the game will continue to grow no matter what IMO.

As for the Chooks, amazingl display of enthusiasm and execution. Whatever Freddy's feeding them, I want Benny to give some to the Broncos lol!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
holy crap, knights got thrashed, again. they have dead set the softest defence in the comp at the moment. granted they are plagued with injuries, but 52-10 is a hiding. in the past 3 weeks, they have only scored 27 points and conceded 116, what are you doing brian smith?

in the herald today, there was an article about sydney clubs are losing lots of money, even the storms are doing it tough. it really shows that nrl is a game of business and without the dough, even the top team will struggle to survive.

HSC
Im still in shock over friday night... what is freddy doing with the chooks :O

btw, as a parra diehard... i cant wait for Lyon's return this arvo :)

HSC
...that is you can't wait to hurl abuse and boo him?

or is it that you can't wait to see the guy who walked out on you guys?

:confused:

HSC
wuddie said:
holy crap, knights got thrashed, again. they have dead set the softest defence in the comp at the moment. granted they are plagued with injuries, but 52-10 is a hiding. in the past 3 weeks, they have only scored 27 points and conceded 116, what are you doing brian smith?
Roosters don't have the worst F/A any more. :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)