2008/09 English premier League (3 Viewers)

SM_Liverpool

HSC
I like Utd's home one too. Minimalist is good.

Maybe Liverpool should try the retro look to say 1980's when you actually won the league? /liverpool bashing.
Why not, one of my all time fav's are the hallowed umbro ones we wore in the early 80's.

http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/football_shirt_872_1.jpg

Umbro has always been my fav. brand for football clothing anyway, and of course our candy jerseys are great.

http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/wantad/276/991/o_jv368v91m.jpg

kuytbird

HSC
just going back a notch.
Anyone see Kewell playing CB for Galatasary? i didnt think he was too bad, utilised his pace quite nicely. Did miss a couple of tackles, but overall i reckon he didnt do too bad.
And no, im not just some half-wit league supporter who can only think of 3 socceroo players thats trying to get onto a conversation i can talk about.

Charizard

HSC
lol at anyone who thinks mascherano is anything more then an above average squaddie.

The guy wouldn't even get a look in at some clubs. Pennant is even worse, player with some speed but otherwise is destined to be an average starter for a mid table epl squad.

Torres, Gerrard, Carragher are liverpools only truly great players.

08er

HSC
lol at anyone who thinks mascherano is anything more then an above average squaddie.

The guy wouldn't even get a look in at some clubs. Pennant is even worse, player with some speed but otherwise is destined to be an average starter for a mid table epl squad.

masch is best in his position and without him liverpool look vulnerable at the back. he'll be a huge loss against chelsea at anfield

kuytbird

HSC
Nah i would have to disagree as well.
If you wonder why Gerrard scores so many goals its because he has people like Masch and Alonso who do all his dirty defensive work. When needed, he'll just foul them at halfway and slow the game down. He covers Gerrards marking most of the time, wins it then gives it straight our wide or straight to Gerrard or Torres. He knows his role and performs it well 90% of the time.
Its the same as an essien hargreves carrick scholes.
United normally use 2 at the same time with Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov and maybe Nani so that they can just attack and not worry about defensive duties.

HSC
torres, gerrard, alonso > mascherano > the rest

I'd say the spine of our team is actually Gerrard, Torres, Carragher, and Alonso and Mascherano holding midfield. Person above you've gotta be joking if you think Mascherano is over-rated. I'd say hes fairly under-rated by many fans, he does a great job, tackles and generally brings the ball out of defence so well playing attacking, incisive passes.

Mozza91

HSC
Masherano is the best holding midfielder in the world and is just behind Gerrard and in front of Torres as Liverpool's most important player, he's kind of like what Grella is for Australia goes unnoticed at times but is missed big time when not playing

matt#1

HSC
N/A

Mascherano is world class. Have you watched him play mate? Im a Man United fan and even I can admit that he would make our starting XI. Torres, Gerrard and Carragher may get all the praise but Mascherano is just as important.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
as a pure defensive midfielder, i wouldn't take anyone over mascherano; his relentless harrying of the other team along with his brilliant tackling make him indispensable.
as an all-round player, i might be inclined to take essien or cambiasso. neither are quite as good as macherano defensively but they offer far more threat offensively; especially cambiasso whose range of passing is amazing.
mascherano's improving in this department but. especially as the game progresses towards the end and other teams begin to tire, mascherano makes some bursting runs from midfield ala gerrard.

alonso on the other hand has been a fucking amazing player this season. very ordinary last, but this year he's been nothing short of terrific. can't think of a better passer in world football right now.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Masherano is the best holding midfielder in the world and is just behind Gerrard and in front of Torres as Liverpool's most important player, he's kind of like what Grella is for Australia goes unnoticed at times but is missed big time when not playing
Of all the comparisons you could have made - Grella vs Mascherano?. You are lucky not to be flamed yet. No, he is not the best holding midfielder in the world. If you watched Euro 2008, you would have seen Marcos Senna ruin an attack game after game. He deserves the crown. Maybe Mascherano is top five. Maybe.

And unless I have been watching matches wrong, Grella is of negligent importance to our side. There is only one player we miss big time when he isn't playing - Cahill. The rest of are all dispensable to varying degrees.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
as a pure defensive midfielder, i wouldn't take anyone over mascherano; his relentless harrying of the other team along with his brilliant tackling make him indispensable.
as an all-round player, i might be inclined to take essien or cambiasso. neither are quite as good as macherano defensively but they offer far more threat offensively; especially cambiasso whose range of passing is amazing.
mascherano's improving in this department but. especially as the game progresses towards the end and other teams begin to tire, mascherano makes some bursting runs from midfield ala gerrard.

alonso on the other hand has been a fucking amazing player this season. very ordinary last, but this year he's been nothing short of terrific. can't think of a better passer in world football right now.
Alonso is a superb footballer. Now there is a Liverpool defensive midfielder who could walk into any side in the world. I reckon he is pound-for-pound the best player Benitez has ever bought (coming in at 2.5x less than Torres).

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i know.
its staggering that we were contemplating selling him last offseason.

very glad we didnt else he'd probably be leading arsenal into the title race right now :O

Mozza91

HSC
Of all the comparisons you could have made - Grella vs Mascherano?. You are lucky not to be flamed yet. No, he is not the best holding midfielder in the world. If you watched Euro 2008, you would have seen Marcos Senna ruin an attack game after game. He deserves the crown. Maybe Mascherano is top five. Maybe.

And unless I have been watching matches wrong, Grella is of negligent importance to our side. There is only one player we miss big time when he isn't playing - Cahill. The rest of are all dispensable to varying degrees.
Maybe you should watch Australia's games more closely Grella is a teriffic player one of our best

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
essien is better than any players mentioned thus far.

alonso is good, but essien is better.

i just find that when your team needs a goal, you want these players on the field.

mascherano is usually the first to be subbed.

Roy9

HSC
Cahill better play next Wednesday or I'll be sitting in the crowd in my Everton jersey crying my eyes out

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
essien is better than any players mentioned thus far.

alonso is good, but essien is better.

i just find that when your team needs a goal, you want these players on the field.

mascherano is usually the first to be subbed.
Essien may be physically superior, but Alonso destroys him in terms of vision and passing ability. Chelsea have a physical approach and Liverpool have a patient approach, so they are well suited to their clubs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)