HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Top 200 Schools - Daily Telegraph

where's the full list?

BabyBlueVamp

HSC

Trebla said:
Despite what others have said, just be aware that most people are not criticising the school because of its religion. The criticism is on the school apparently undertaking unethical practices. Do not start making false accusations of racism here, or else this thread will be likely to close. If it were a catholic, selective or any other private school doing these unethical things, the level of criticism would be hardly any different.

Enobarbus' view is not necessarily representative of everyone else's views.
Yes true, which is exactly why I will drop this whole issue. Like i said, i admit the practices are unethical, but the way people are attacking it takes it into a whole new level.

dp624

HSC

u-borat said:
ffs its not about raw marks, you tard.
yeah, 70s raw is pretty decent, mid band5s i tihnk,

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

benn07 said:
Boo Yah.... Once again my school isn't on the list, and it probably never will be!!

Don't you just love the whole Christian-Muslim debate thing? hahaha
Err no not really.

My biggest question: Why is wearing a hijab compulsory for girls? Why not optional?

My next biggest question: Are they pushing these kids into TAFE just so they can make their marks seem better? Sounds awefully unfair to the kids and also gives parents who might want to send their kids there in the future for academic reasons some sort of false hope that "all kids at malek fahd" do well or something.

I don't know. It doesn't affect me, I do like the fact that we now have an Islamic school in Australia. About time given the number of catholic ones...

My school came 25th, up from 30th last year. Sweet!

fallingstar

HSC

how exactly do they work out the school rankings...?

hsc 09 will by my school's first hsc, its a pretty new-ish school. does that have an effect on anything?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

fallingstar said:
how exactly do they work out the school rankings...?

hsc 09 will by my school's first hsc, its a pretty new-ish school. does that have an effect on anything?
It is based on the percentage of band 6s over total number of exams (or total enrolment across all subjects) taken.

diametric

HSC

u-borat said:
ffs its not about raw marks, you tard.
WTF - I'm quoting their final HSC marks, you tard.

bell531 said:
The above responders are only going by the apparent facts of an apparently unbiased newspaper article. As for the SMH and school principals lying, either you're right and these groups are lying to defame Malek Fahd, or you are wrong. It doesn't sound as though you will change your mind about this, but are you absolutely sure you are right?
I AM ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE. Everyone in our year 12 class sat the HSC exams at Malek Fahd. EVERYONE.

supercalamari said:
Err no not really.

My biggest question: Why is wearing a hijab compulsory for girls? Why not optional?

My next biggest question: Are they pushing these kids into TAFE just so they can make their marks seem better? Sounds awefully unfair to the kids and also gives parents who might want to send their kids there in the future for academic reasons some sort of false hope that "all kids at malek fahd" do well or something.

I don't know. It doesn't affect me, I do like the fact that we now have an Islamic school in Australia. About time given the number of catholic ones...

My school came 25th, up from 30th last year. Sweet!
Question 1: Since wearing the hijab is compulsory in Islam, in that God orders women to do so in the Qur'an, thus it is a part of the uniform code, since it is Malek Fahd Islamic School.

Question 2: I do believe that it is a part of the then-agenda. However, its not that all of the students below a certain level were sent to TAFE. Mostly those, for one, max 2 subjects, who didn't care at all, nor about themselves or others in their cohort they might affect. Also: I think a large part of it was to keep the ratio of well performing students to slightly less performing students higher in favour of the higher-performers.

What's quite important to consider that all this policy is changing; all students are being allowed entry through to year 12. All subjects are available to students, so long as 10 students wish to do that subject. I think, the final goal is to greatly increase the number of our graduates whilst still climbing the rank-ladder - with all our students in our school, and not in TAFE.

I'd also like to note that all of our students doing Maths (2u is the lowest maths available) did so at our school - and we were ranked 2nd in the state for Mathematics this yr. I think this is something our Principal wants to carry over to all aspects of the school.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC

diametric said:
I AM ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE. Everyone in our year 12 class sat the HSC exams at Malek Fahd. EVERYONE.
OK, so what about other years? Doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.

diametric

HSC

dp624 said:
OK, so what about other years? Doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.
You mean, previous years? Wow. I like that MFIS is condemned for practices its vigilant in changing and still proving successful. Which this yr, has shown true. No TAFE-ers. 5% improvement upon last yr based on credits

So, what? SMH's false reporting gets a free pass?

(Forgot to mention; congrats on your 100UAI dp)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A

So if Malek Fahd is being lied about by the SMH (due to it's religion, apparently), have any school officials / principals challenged the SMH? Or anyone from the Muslim community ? (seeing as its a religoulsy charged issue) Or is it just you?​

I'm not trying to incite more hatred, I'm just wondering why we should believe a single student, from the school itself.

lionking1191

HSC

diametric said:
and we were ranked 2nd in the state for Mathematics this yr. I think this is something our Principal wants to carry over to all aspects of the school.
lol i thought we were :confused: ..i lost my copy of the smh

dp624

HSC

lionking1191 said:
lol i thought we were :confused: ..i lost my copy of the smh
maybe it was maths 2u not 4u or whatever lulz

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

xcherie said:
lol 124th,
go cerdon=]
Sorry to say this, but Cerdon dropped this year by a mile. We're generally in the top 100 or better, like the 70 something in 2005 :(

Don't worry, Cerdon's rank will climb next year, you can bet on it :headbang:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Are you serious? For 2 unit maths, we should be first!

brief lesson on history:

2001: Armidale & North Sydney Boys
2002: Pymble Ladies
2003: St Pius X College & Sydney Girls
2004: St Patrick's College
2005: Sefton
2006: North Sydney Boys
2007: Macquarie Fields
2008: Barker, St Pius, Caringbah, James Ruse, Frensham, Marist

We came first in two years in the last 8 years. I think we deserve to be first (or equal first with north sydney boys)

dp624

HSC

lyounamu said:
Are you serious? For 2 unit maths, we should be first!

brief lesson on history:

2001: Armidale & North Sydney Boys
2002: Pymble Ladies
2003: St Pius X College & Sydney Girls
2004: St Patrick's College
2005: Sefton
2006: North Sydney Boys
2007: Macquarie Fields
2008: Barker, St Pius, Caringbah, James Ruse, Frensham, Marist

We came first in two years in the last 8 years. I think we deserve to be first (or equal first with north sydney boys)
actually i tihnk it's the % of maths band6s?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

dp624 said:
actually i tihnk it's the % of maths band6s?
damn. well, in my own statistics, my school is the best. :D

go spx!

jennieTalia

HSC

195. Marian Catholic College ............................................... 630 ............ 53 ..... 8.41

*feels strangely proud*
96.2 baby :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)