2008 Maths Competition (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Re: Maths Competition

Far out. I died in that test. I stopped caring after Q20 and put in random numbers for 25-30 because I didn't know what to do. And did anyone find the question with 'cool' in it totally, uncool? It was a really weird question.

With the farmer question, i think I chose (b) because I didn't know what b was asking, so I just chose that one. All the rest of the questions led to 77kL if my serves me correct.

LOL. I also got stuck on the last question on the first page - stupid ratios.

I missed my calculator during that exam :(

jellybelly59

HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Far out. I died in that test. I stopped caring after Q20 and put in random numbers for 25-30 because I didn't know what to do. And did anyone find the question with 'cool' in it totally, uncool? It was a really weird question.

With the farmer question, i think I chose (b) because I didn't know what b was asking, so I just chose that one. All the rest of the questions led to 77kL if my serves me correct.

LOL. I also got stuck on the last question on the first page - stupid ratios.

I missed my calculator during that exam :(
ROFL me too >.<"

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

ahhliss said:
Lol I'm used to pressing EVERYTHING into my calculator. It's only when I'm doing something with not much calculations and I'm too lazy to grab my calculator that I use my head. Doing practise papers and the Maths Comp I was dividing, multiplying, squaring, adding and subtracting on paper. It was weirddd.
yeah after the SC I clung onto my calculator more because I knew that I would never see another non-calculator exam again .. how wrong I was.

bored of sc

HSC

Lets just agree the test was terribly difficult. :uhhuh:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

bored of sc said:
Lets just agree the test was terribly difficult. :uhhuh:
I could have done the first 25 questions + the cool question. if i had a bit more time. :(

The Kaiser

HSC

If anyone still remembers or cares (probably not), the way to work the last question (30) is this.

1. Complete the squares of the first and last equations and from this find the minimum value from A and B respectively (7 and 5 respectively)

2. Substitute these values in the 2nd equation and find the value (12)

3. Add the three values together (Thus my answer was 24)

However, I think I made a careless mistake (no damn calculators) but I'm pretty sure that was the way to work it out.

bored of sc

HSC

foram said:
I could have done the first 25 questions + the cool question. if i had a bit more time. :(
High distinction and/or prize for you then.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I should have done this...Ahhhhh!

SL11

HSC

Question 28 was the only one I worked out in the last 5, using good old guess and check.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

ahhliss said:
Ooh. I thought of completing the square but I was just like :S during the test. I substituted random numbers and hoped it would work D: I kept getting surds lol.

a was 7? I thought it had to be something root2 to get rid of the root2 it was multiplied with?
I honestly didn't know what I was doing for that question. But I ended up getting 35. Don't ask.

The Kaiser

HSC

ahhliss said:
Ooh. I thought of completing the square but I was just like :S during the test. I substituted random numbers and hoped it would work D: I kept getting surds lol.

a was 7? I thought it had to be something root2 to get rid of the root2 it was multiplied with?
Middle term was 14 root 2 (I think), completing the square would give you 98 as the constant term, I don't remember what the last term was, but for that equation I got 49 and since it was a root, I came up with 7.

SL11

HSC

The Kaiser said:
I guessed 72 (I know I'm wrong)

What was your answer?
Ironically, 28 for question 28. I had x=4, y=7

shaon0

HSC

The Kaiser said:
If anyone still remembers or cares (probably not), the way to work the last question (30) is this.

1. Complete the squares of the first and last equations and from this find the minimum value from A and B respectively (7 and 5 respectively)

2. Substitute these values in the 2nd equation and find the value (12)

3. Add the three values together (Thus my answer was 24)

However, I think I made a careless mistake (no damn calculators) but I'm pretty sure that was the way to work it out.
Yes! I was right! I was showing people how to do the last question on the Westpac.

Last edited:

Iruka

HSC
N/A

hmm...

Maple believes the minimum value of that expression is 13 which occurs at a=35sqrt(2)/17 and b=35/12.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

lol i guessed 9 for the last one, and this other guy in my class also guessed 9... weird

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

shaon0 said:
Yes! I was right! I was showing people how to do the last question on the Westpac.
you didnt explain anything after saying to complete the square...

lolokay

HSC

SL11 said:
I think it was 3x^2 - 8y^2 + 3x^2y^2 = 2008, find xy.
wow, how'd you manage to guess that?
you could write that as (3x^2 - 8)(y^2 + 1) = 2000
then go through the factors of 2000 til you come across ones that are one more than a perfect square, then test.

Iruka

HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
wow, how'd you manage to guess that?
you could write that as (3x^2 - 8)(y^2 + 1) = 2000
then go through the factors of 2000 til you come across ones that are one more than a perfect square, then test.
That's exactly how you do it. It's a Diophantine equation. This particular one had only one solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)