2008 NRL Premiership (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well it'd be a whole lot worse if it was mason, because roosters had to kick out harrison and had to squeeze out a lot of cash for him, not to mention the controversy he will raise in regard to his boxing career. granted, harrison was rubbish during his time at the roosters, but still a potentially good player.

the reason i rate stuart is that he is very good in gelling a bunch of marquee players into a team. a lot of the time a bunch of blokes from different clubs come together, they all try to show off their individual brilliance and in origin, you can get caught up in the hype and forget you're in fact part of a team. stuart has proven he can do that with origin and test teams. bellarmy is a good coach, and i sincerely hope he can get the job done.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
ricky stuart has been a crap coach for the last few years
his sides didn't make the top 8

HSC
Anasta's been signed up until 2011, which from this season's performance seems like a good move for the Roosters.

Hurry up and end off-season!

bored6

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Anasta's been signed up until 2011, which from this season's performance seems like a good move for the Roosters.

Hurry up and end off-season!
Here here Megan! :wave:

Roosters top 8 next year, oh it will be sweet.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
yea only if the inquestors don't get on your ass, the chooks are over the cap by a long shot. you better pray they don't, otherwise someone has to go.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Im predicting that with Bellamy as NSW coach, they will win '08 series. Its a long way out yet, but he has proven himself capable with NSW Country and the Storm (for past 3 years). Just an early prediction, and anything can happen...but I dont think it will.

The Roosters also got Aubusson back too. So he's with his bro as it used to be. With him, Mason, O'Meley etc, either Roosters admin are geniuses with the books, or something dodgy is on. Spose it will come out if it is.

indiansummer

HSC
wuddie said:
yea only if the inquestors don't get on your ass, the chooks are over the cap by a long shot. you better pray they don't, otherwise someone has to go.
The Roosters have lost a number of "high profile" players such as Finch and Wing in recent times and haven't really made many big purchases to compensate. Ashley Harisson was also traded to the Titans to facilitate Mason's signing, and Danny Williams will probably be released to the Bulldogs as well. So your assumption that they are well over the constraints of the salary cap is a little preemptive. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they were still exceeding their limit and at the very least they're walking on thin ice. Although, I would imagine that most clubs are in the very same situation financially, it's just that the recent signings by the Roosters have put them in the spotlight. With the spending done over the off-season, as well as Brad Fittler's extended tenure as coach, they should be expected to at least make the top 8 this year.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
mate, i made no assumption, i know they are over the cap. how much would they have paid for finch, wing, harrison and williams altogether? o'meley and mason would have covered that with ease. for your info, i'll copy and paste this from another forum.

According to an article from the Telegraph recently, and adjusted for recent changes, it looks like they are over the cap.

Braith Anasta - $375,000 (recently renegotiated & reduced from $400k)
James Aubusson - $150,000
Mitchell Aubusson - $100,000
Anthony Cherrington - $ 55,000
Craig Fitzgibbon - $180,000 (I find this hard to believe)
Shaun Kenny-Dowell - $ 80,000
Steve Meredith - $ 75,000
Anthony Minichiello - $375,000
Nate Myles - $300,000
George Ndaira - $ 50,000
Danny Nutley - $ 80,000
Mark O'Meley - $400,000
Frank Paul Nuuauasalu- $ 60,000
Lopini Paea - $100,000
Mickey Paea - $100,000
Mitchell Pearce - $175,000
Sam Perrett - $150,000
Amos Roberts - $225,000
Setaimata Sa - $100,000
Shane Shackleton - $170,000
David Shillington - $175,000
Iosia Soliola - $250,000
Anthony Tupou - $220,000
John Williams - $100,000
Willie Mason - $200,000
========
Total $4,245,000

now there are rumours the roosters are after inu, which would at least set them back another 300k.

most clubs aren't in the same boat, but a few are. i'd imagine storm will struggle to keep their players when their contracts expire, same with broncos and cowboys. but at this point in time, roosters are definitely over the cap.

indiansummer

HSC
Let me prefigure this by saying I am in no way a Roosters supporter, I just don't think it's fair to jump to the conclusion that they are salary cap cheats after a few big signings.

I'm guessing it took you 10 minutes or so to dig that up on a forum? Do you really think the NRL and the major media outlets would let this information slip right under their noses, especially when it is so readily available? After the repercussions the Bulldogs faced during their salary cap breach, the Roosters wouldn't let $245,000 go so openly astray. Releasing Harisson to the Titans freed up around $220,000. Mason is playing for $200,000 with the promise of excess on future contracts once other player contracts expire in 2008, so expect the casualty list to extend beyond Harisson and Williams in the long term. Personally, finances revolving around him rather than future talent is poor short term vision.

Off the top of my head the Roosters have lost, within the past few years, Ricketson, Morley, Finch, Crocker, Monaghan, Cayless, Cross and Soward. This is on top of the recent releases of Wing and Flannery, and the impending retirements of players such as Fitzgibbon and Nutley. I'm also not 100% on the figures you supplied. Do you have a link to the article which cites this information? For example, Pearce sitting on $175,000 a year seems a little high for a rookie, irrespective of his potential.

Regardless of all this, I wouldn't be surprised if they are on shaky ground and the auditors at the NRL will be watching the club with interest. I'll happily revoke what I just wrote if in half a year the Roosters are staring down the barrel of a large fine and a loss of competition points. But until then, the assumption that they are over their salary cap based solely on the figures you supplied is not enough to sway me.

HSC
wuddie said:
mate, i made no assumption, i know they are over the cap. how much would they have paid for finch, wing, harrison and williams altogether? o'meley and mason would have covered that with ease. for your info, i'll copy and paste this from another forum.

According to an article from the Telegraph recently, and adjusted for recent changes, it looks like they are over the cap.

Braith Anasta - $375,000 (recently renegotiated & reduced from $400k)
James Aubusson - $150,000
Mitchell Aubusson - $100,000
Anthony Cherrington - $ 55,000
Craig Fitzgibbon - $180,000 (I find this hard to believe)
Shaun Kenny-Dowell - $ 80,000
Steve Meredith - $ 75,000
Anthony Minichiello - $375,000
Nate Myles - $300,000
George Ndaira - $ 50,000
Danny Nutley - $ 80,000
Mark O'Meley - $400,000
Frank Paul Nuuauasalu- $ 60,000
Lopini Paea - $100,000
Mickey Paea - $100,000
Mitchell Pearce - $175,000
Sam Perrett - $150,000
Amos Roberts - $225,000
Setaimata Sa - $100,000
Shane Shackleton - $170,000
David Shillington - $175,000
Iosia Soliola - $250,000
Anthony Tupou - $220,000
John Williams - $100,000
Willie Mason - $200,000
========
Total $4,245,000

now there are rumours the roosters are after inu, which would at least set them back another 300k.

most clubs aren't in the same boat, but a few are. i'd imagine storm will struggle to keep their players when their contracts expire, same with broncos and cowboys. but at this point in time, roosters are definitely over the cap.
you are trusting a news paper article, its almost certainly wrong.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
re above - if you can find anything that contradicts my/ the media's figures, present it, or else don't just bag out the newspapers, they are a whole lot more intelligible and trustworthy than you are.

re indiansummer - fair enough, innocent till proven guilty, i can buy that. but you'd surprised how much the finance dept can hide under the cap. eg. give a player a car instead of cash payments, etc. all these little things can be traced back to and the nrl will have a field day. but yes, we shall see who is right this time next year.

lyss90

HSC
Expecting souths to make top 8 again, hoping for top 4. DOnt think thats too unreasonable. If they do make top 4 i will just be over the moon. If they manage to win i'll pretty much die of happiness.

Hoping for nsw to win the SOO too.

This bloody offseason is dragging on... :mad1:

Che08

HSC
I agree - Roosters have to be nearing the cap, or doing something dodgy.. but on the topic of Krisnan Inu, i think when they get him they are also hoping to pick up Israel Falal.. and to take both well... There is no possible way. Say Minnichiello retires (have a feeling he might coz hes always so injured) frees up about 300-400 thousand. Still not enough for both.. somethings deffinately up with Easts.

My tip for 2008, watch Souths, Panthers and Eels. GF - Eels V Storm (storm will win.)

-And im an Eels supporter if anyones interested.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Che08 said:
I agree - Roosters have to be nearing the cap, or doing something dodgy.. but on the topic of Krisnan Inu, i think when they get him they are also hoping to pick up Israel Falal.. and to take both well... There is no possible way. Say Minnichiello retires (have a feeling he might coz hes always so injured) frees up about 300-400 thousand. Still not enough for both.. somethings deffinately up with Easts.

My tip for 2008, watch Souths, Panthers and Eels. GF - Eels V Storm (storm will win.)

-And im an Eels supporter if anyones interested.
Yea, they could be giving "secret payments". Anyway, I actually think the storm might choke next season and the eels could actually make it to the grand final (God it's been long lol)
Go Parra!!!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well, the eels did managed to pull johns into their coaching roster, that's got to be a win for the halves. michael hagan is not a bad coach, but from what i hear, he gets really worked up if the team isn't winning, so the pressure is definitely on the parra players.

call me crazy, but i have a vision - when brian smith gets chopped from the knights, the johns brothers will co-coach the knights. boy, wouldn't that be something. with the way brian smith has cleaned out the locals in the team, expect him to be under huge scrutiny.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
wuddie said:
well, the eels did managed to pull johns into their coaching roster, that's got to be a win for the halves. michael hagan is not a bad coach, but from what i hear, he gets really worked up if the team isn't winning, so the pressure is definitely on the parra players.

call me crazy, but i have a vision - when brian smith gets chopped from the knights, the johns brothers will co-coach the knights. boy, wouldn't that be something. with the way brian smith has cleaned out the locals in the team, expect him to be under huge scrutiny.
Yeah, Brian Smith is a bullshit coach. Look at 2006, Parramatta couldn't get out of the bottom 3, then when Smith left and Jason Taylor came in Parra made it to the Top 8. Newcastle made a big mistake signing Smith and with smith - Newcastle will stuff up next year as well.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
the-derivative said:
Yeah, Brian Smith is a bullshit coach. Look at 2006, Parramatta couldn't get out of the bottom 3, then when Smith left and Jason Taylor came in Parra made it to the Top 8. Newcastle made a big mistake signing Smith and with smith - Newcastle will stuff up next year as well.
If the end of last year is any indication, Smith is already under huge pressure to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Especially after the whole saga involving Kirk Reynoldson.

A big chunk of Knights supporters have turned to the Jets in the A-League, and the Knights will have to have a good season in 08 or else they are doomed. The Knights have already done emotive tv ads trying to convince people to buy Season tickets and turn up to games. Of all people that could have been the face of the ads, they chose Brian Smith. Hmm.

He lost half of the supporters when he culled the up-and-coming local juniors.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ok, let's bring this thread back to life.

for those of you who don't know, telstra stad is now called anz stad. aussie stad is back to sfs. if there's any other changes to any venues, please update.

trial games coming up soon.

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
If the end of last year is any indication, Smith is already under huge pressure to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Especially after the whole saga involving Kirk Reynoldson.

A big chunk of Knights supporters have turned to the Jets in the A-League, and the Knights will have to have a good season in 08 or else they are doomed. The Knights have already done emotive tv ads trying to convince people to buy Season tickets and turn up to games. Of all people that could have been the face of the ads, they chose Brian Smith. Hmm.

He lost half of the supporters when he culled the up-and-coming local juniors.
mr smith wont last the first half of the season. and with wayne bennett quitting the broncos and looking for a sydney club, newcastle may look to sign him up for 2009.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)