2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Iron said:
Ah whatever. She's a mother of a solider fighting in Iraq, he's a war hero who has devoted the bulk of his poltiical life to causes of the military. They have more personal involvement and therefore more authority to talk about the war than Obama will ever have
It's funny how that's the same argument, in the military sense, used by conservatives to imply that academics educated in Law/Foreign Relations (such as Obama) are not necessarily best suited to be President. Nice!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just think that on the War, it's clear that neither McCain nor Palin want the soldiers to reamin in harms' way. But these are causes greater than ourselves and our family. It's not some mastabatory speech milking fickle public willpower

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Whatever, military elitist.

Congress is not going to let Obama/McCain do something stupid, unless they lie about it. That can't happen again, can it??!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
So if people support someone, and they are foolish, the person they support is therefore foolish. Remember you said earlier "ny idea that one party is more foolish than the other in america is a conception of fools." Yet it never had anything to do with the official position of the party. It hardly makes the whole party foolish because foolish people support them.
That's why I said 'in terms of their people not necessarily their policies'. If the democratic/republican parties are to only be analysed on their official statements then it probably becomes easier for someone to decide which holds a sillier platform however when looking at the various theories espoused by their marauding internet/otherwise warriors, their everyday politically active supporters, I think it becomes quite hard to distinguish between which party has the more foolish of such people since they both seem to have equally loud voices in each party...

But yeah, like I said in the last post. I was far too simplistic and stated the case in far too strong a manner.

I can't wait for the debates. I just kind of hope Obama won't get thrashed because of his lack of 'succinctness', or what I like to call, thinking before speaking.
I watched all the debates and even in the debate format Obama was far stronger than McCain... McCain's debate performance was in a big way made stronger because he held to the line of many republicans in a republican debate though even then he came off as slow and jittery.

Last edited:

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Iron said:
McCain nor Palin
THat's funny, Palin doesn't even have a recorded position on Iraq let alone any other foreign policy.

She's probably taking Iraq 101 at McCain Campaign HQ right now

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
A High Way Man said:
Whatever, military elitist.

Congress is not going to let Obama/McCain do something stupid, unless they lie about it. That can't happen again, can it??!
Well the War Powers Resolution gives Congress a nice political escape by forcing the President to withdraw troops from a conflict if Congress has not authorized the action in 60 days (i.e. Congress just does nothing for two months. This way the President cant have his war and Congress dodge political flak)

Reality is that they give the President anything he wants in a crisis. If Obama was actually sitting in the Senate when the resolution on the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq was passed, I suspect that he would have been too ambitious, like Hillary, to have voted against.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
A High Way Man said:
THat's funny, Palin doesn't even have a recorded position on Iraq let alone any other foreign policy.

She's probably taking Iraq 101 at McCain Campaign HQ right now
You mean the back seat of the bus?
More like an Exploratory committee into weapons appropriation

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Resident mujahideen sam04u and TacoTerrorist chime in with their 0.000000000000001 cents worth of information.
This is why we keep you.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Iron said:
Well the War Powers Resolution gives Congress a nice political escape by forcing the President to withdraw troops from a conflict if Congress has not authorized the action in 60 days (i.e. Congress just does nothing for two months. This way the President cant have his war and Congress dodge political flak)

Reality is that they give the President anything he wants in a crisis. If Obama was actually sitting in the Senate when the resolution on the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq was passed, I suspect that he would have been too ambitious, like Hillary, to have voted against.
Yes, but my question is: would Congress have passed the Iraq Resolution if it wasn't for the WMD/AlQaeda lie? Or, are you inferring that Congress authorizing war under false pretenses will be a staple of all future War Resolutions?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
A High Way Man said:
Yes, but my question is: would Congress have passed the Iraq Resolution if it wasn't for the WMD/AlQaeda lie? Or, are you inferring that Congress authorizing war under false pretenses will be a staple of all future War Resolutions?
Well we're not really certain whether it was a lie or massive negligence. But yes, Congress operates under the same political pressures as any other democratic institution. There is always a trade off between objective good and political interest in public policy?

The real Bush success in the case for war was whipping the public into total hysteria post 9/11

historykidd

HSC
Iron said:
I think i'm in love.
Palin's speech was one of the best this mod has ever seen. She is the picture of political passion and sincerity. Finally, someone articulated McCain's "country first" as opposed to Obama's feel-good individualism.
My God. Pls watch it
She was terrifying and sexy. It was so natural and comfortable. Her son is just about to go to Iraq and McCain is a war hero. Fucken game on Obama you bitch
Shes a fucking creationist.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
iron, your views are so fagoty, you must sucking bill o'reilly's cock

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Would you say that libertarianism is distinct from conservatism?
I guess conservatism is largely a state of mind, depending on the status-quo, but market liberalisation was the opposite of what Burke had in mind

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Conservatives want complete and utter allegiance to the state, but don't want the state to do anything for them.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
bigboyjames said:
iron, your views are so fagoty, you must sucking bill o'reilly's cock
What you on about?
Iron's views actually aren't all that bad. I disagree with him at times, but he's no AryanBeauty.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/01/palins-17-year-old-daughter-is-pregnant/

Turns out Palin's daughter actually is pregnant.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Also, link came from Pharyngula, I don't normally read fox news, you cunts.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/scienceblogs/pharyngula/~3/380548834/from_the_horses_mouth.php

Confirmation article from MSNBC -> Notice the differences between the article, such as MSNBC not using the tautology 'internet bloggers'. Yeah all those AM Radio bloggers are cloggin da tubz

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/1318541.aspx

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)