• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think Obama's playing it wrong at the moment. McCain has pinched the Kennedy 'Ask Not' vibe. Obama is being increasingly defined as standing for selfish personal enrichment, which I reckon folks are at least suspicious of.
The GOP is flippin the tables you guys! Now THEY're about the community, while the Dems are about the individual! It's brillianet!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Wow. Palin's speech was extremely impressive. On Par with Obama's amazing acceptance speech imo.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
- I heard Palin's speech was good, but I haven't seen it as yet. Let's not kid ourselves. Words are being put in her mouth, hardcore. But even Obama has (a) speechwriter(s).

- Obama up by +6, I wonder if, by the end of the RNC, his lead will be completely nullified?

- tbh I believe the whole "Palin has more executive experience!" is incredibly intellectually dishonest

- Has anyone seen that video of faithful Republican pundits caught bashing John McCain/Palin off-air? Absolutely brilliant. Brilliant.

- I thought the speeches by Giuliani and Romney were a bit spiteful

- A bit of Palin's talking points are bullshit. Reformer? She hired a lobbyist as mayor was Wasila - Fiscal conservative? Wasila is $22 million in debt

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
This (ex)mayor of New york is an absolute tool. Sarah Palin... I can't say I'm a fan. But dude, have you seen the daughter??

BackCountrySnow

HSC
OMFG guise!!!
this guy would rather lose an election than lose the war.
What could possibly go wrong after he wins the election?

McCain would be so shit at skeeting.
He has no idea when to pull out.

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
This (ex)mayor of New york is an absolute tool. Sarah Palin... I can't say I'm a fan. But dude, have you seen the daughter??
bradley my son, i will definitely tap that piece of ass. both sarah and her daughter.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
- I heard Palin's speech was good, but I haven't seen it as yet. Let's not kid ourselves. Words are being put in her mouth, hardcore. But even Obama has (a) speechwriter(s).

- Obama up by +6, I wonder if, by the end of the RNC, his lead will be completely nullified?

- tbh I believe the whole "Palin has more executive experience!" is incredibly intellectually dishonest

- Has anyone seen that video of faithful Republican pundits caught bashing John McCain/Palin off-air? Absolutely brilliant. Brilliant.

- I thought the speeches by Giuliani and Romney were a bit spiteful

- A bit of Palin's talking points are bullshit. Reformer? She hired a lobbyist as mayor was Wasila - Fiscal conservative? Wasila is $22 million in debt
I'm feeling pretty much the same way right now. It's just spin spin spin spin spin. Admittedly her speech was written and it appeared very casual and straightforward but she must have practiced it for hours and hours on end. However, she does have a natural panache. Confusing and somewhat worrying

HalcyonSky

HSC
On the one hand i want Obama to win because he is clearly the most competant canditate and it would be frustrating to see him lose

But on the other i want to see mccain win and watch America continue its downfall

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
But on the other i want to see mccain win and watch America continue its downfall
America has the greatest military in the world, if McCain (and probably Obama) wins, we'll be following them to the 'gates of hell' forever; slaves to the vicissitudes and whims of American foreign policy. Sooner or later it will be like lambs to the slaughter! (I think that happened 93 years ago).

Bah

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Obama's speech was of such a high quality, and progressive nature, that the implications of it alone, let alone the possibility it creates of Obama winning the election, will be massive.

For too long the United States of America has been trailing behind the rest of the first world states in health care, human rights (death penalty), gun control, CO2 emissions, and have contributed nothing to demilitarise. Basically, because of all this the United States of America is extremely unpopular, and as such they can not do as the Republicans had intended with the "New American Century" plan.

They failed because the world is not willing to get behind the United States in it's causes whatsoever. The first Gulf War had huge support. Even though at the time nobody really cared. But when the U.S took the moral superiority through the control of the United Nations, the world was willing to get behind them. It wasn't the same whilst proposing the Afghanistan and Iraq war.

Basically, the U.S will fall into obscurity if it doesn't catch up to the rest of the world.

MissSarajevo

HSC
The only reason I want to win Obama is a hope that he might increase funding for alternative energy as promised in his acceptance speech. otherwise I'm all for McCain to maintain American superiority in the world. Cowards like Obama will easily submit to terrorist demands.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ok. Watched Palin's acceptance with a few close mates and cold beers.
I
Speechless. There were tears.
Hung on every word. What a fuken find. The most genuine, the most natural, the most articulate, noble, flawless FUCK
Why cant I find a girl like this?

I want her to knock my junk around
'n shit. It's like my ideal has come to life.
I am happy.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Iron said:
Ok. Watched Palin's acceptance with a few close mates and cold beers.
I
Speechless. There were tears.
Hung on every word. What a fuken find. The most genuine, the most natural, the most articulate, noble, flawless FUCK
Why cant I find a girl like this?

I want her to knock my junk around
'n shit. It's like my ideal has come to life.
I am happy.
you want to fuck george w. bush's speechwriter?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
It's funny how the Republicans criticized Obama for his 'lofty' speeches more or less devoid of policy. Here we have Governor Palin giving the exact same type of speech albeit angrier; now the conservatives are gushing over it and I dare say feeling how Democrats and liberals felt after hearing Obama's speeches.

What is there, really, in Governor Palin's speech? Drilling? "Victory" in Iraq? That POWs deserve automatic ascension to the highest office?

The speech was just a rehash of Republican talking points Americans have been hearing since the Palin pick ("SHE'S A HOCKY MOM REFORMER!!!111" @ RNC vs. "More of the Same" @ the DNC, but it took up more of Palin's speech). It's brilliant if you're a conservative. And I think that's what the McCain campaign is trying to do - just get a shitload of conservatives to vote for them, and it worked for them four years ago. The problem is that decent conservative folk know it's bullshit

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)