• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (1 Viewer)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
A High Way Man said:
It's funny how the Republicans criticized Obama for his 'lofty' speeches more or less devoid of policy. Here we have Governor Palin giving the exact same type of speech albeit angrier; now the conservatives are gushing over it and I dare say feeling how Democrats and liberals felt after hearing Obama's speeches.

What is there, really, in Governor Palin's speech? Drilling? "Victory" in Iraq? That POWs deserve automatic ascension to the highest office?

The speech was just a rehash of Republican talking points Americans have been hearing since the Palin pick ("SHE'S A HOCKY MOM REFORMER!!!111" @ RNC vs. "More of the Same" @ the DNC, but it took up more of Palin's speech). It's brilliant if you're a conservative. And I think that's what the McCain campaign is trying to do - just get a shitload of conservatives to vote for them, and it worked for them four years ago. The problem is that decent conservative folk know it's bullshit
IDK man, do you equally criticise Obama for his lofty speeches? If not then you're a hypocrit too. My BS meter went off just as much for his as it did hers and I think they've both given two amazing speeches at these conventions despite their lack of real substance. The real substance stuff is boring.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Aah, Charismatic Palin.
She has such a sweet voice. Honestly, I'm a vocal voicist *heh... I make joke* and even I don't have much to criticise in relation to her voice. It's an almost perfect pitch for a female, almost as if it's the template of a perfect female voice. She also has some great features in terms of physical beauty, who am I to deny that? For a woman of her age, who had conceived and delivered so many children, she sure is an adorable sight, easy to look at.

She can make a good speech too, I find myself gripped at every slight movement of her full lips. I want to see the words coming out of her mouth as much as I want to hear them. She's not awkward, bulky or stocky like Hillary was. She's also not airheaded like some of the personalities you see on television.

I could write for days about all the good things about her without having to fight myself to compliment her like I would with other people I might disagree with.

And then I read the transcripts of some of what she was saying... and it was like a steaming load of horse shit on a cold morning in the countryside.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
Aah, Charismatic Palin.
She has such a sweet voice. Honestly, I'm a vocal voicist *heh... I make joke* and even I don't have much to criticise in relation to her voice. It's an almost perfect pitch for a female, almost as if it's the template of a perfect female voice. She also has some great features in terms of physical beauty, who am I to deny that? For a woman of her age, who had conceived and delivered so many children, she sure is an adorable sight, easy to look at.

She can make a good speech too, I find myself gripped at every slight movement of her full lips. I want to see the words coming out of her mouth as much as I want to hear them. She's not awkward, bulky or stocky like Hillary was. She's also not airheaded like some of the personalities you see on television.

I could write for days about all the good things about her without having to fight myself to compliment her like I would with other people I might disagree with.

And then I read the transcripts of some of what she was saying... and it was like a steaming load of horse shit on a cold morning in the countryside.
you have women issues

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
well im not claiming to be bipartisan. tbh, as an citizen of aus not america, i do prefer style over substance. thats why i like obama, as he has the potential to be a gifted statesman, what with his oratory skills etc. conservatives like (im assuming) Iron who have been fairly critical of obama's prior speeches are all over this palin speech, even tho its the same as obamas speeches. it just shows you how far partisanship goes.

i disagree that obamas speech at the DNC lacked substance. he made the speech with mind to specifically refute republican critics who had deemed his earlier speeches too haughty. compared with his other speeches, the DNC speech was like going through bullet points.

he and his campaign staff should seriously lay off the "more of the same" refrain, maybe i should send them an email. i dont wanna be bombed by ahmadinejad

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
i disagree that obamas speech at the DNC lacked substance. he made the speech with mind to specifically refute republican critics who had deemed his earlier speeches too haughty. compared with his other speeches, the DNC speech was like going through bullet points.
I think the daily show covered it fairly well.. I'll find you the clip, basically it shows how many outrageous promises Obama made.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
jb_nc said:
you have women issues
I have no problem with women.

Face cancer guy aint got much longer to live. He picked a person with no substance, rather than going for the logical option of picking a respectable, well known, fiscal conservative.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Eh? Obama would have owned the media if it was two boring white guys vs him. TBH It's not necessarily that bad. While it does seem to weaken their experience argument, it also opens the democrats up to hypocrisy if they attempt to call her inexperienced.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Enteebee said:
I think the daily show covered it fairly well.. I'll find you the clip, basically it shows how many outrageous promises Obama made.
Enteebee, maybe to you that speech was empty, hollow even. Because compared to his other speeches, this one was very different. In his latest speech, he sought out to remind everyone that "hey we have poor people in this country who don't have a dime to their name, and can't afford to go to the doctor", since you're not, or have never been in a position like that (I'm assuming) that part of the speech could even feel like filler to you.

But that sort of empathy with what he called (middle and lower class) America, is unprecedented in modern times. When he spoke of him and Michelle, rising out of the lower classes from their "boot straps", because of government programs. He spoke of the problems associated with the workers of America. In particular with the decline of manufacturing indusries, towns, and their respective housing markets.

It was a speech with substance Enteebee. But it was to an audience which has been neglected by the United States in recent times.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
i wonder what the average % of election promises that are implemented/become law?

probably a low number.

if john mccain croaks in office, do you really honestly think that this milf will be able to stare down putin/ahmadinejad/china/islamics?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
if john mccain croaks in office, do you really honestly think that this milf will be able to stare down putin/ahmadinejad/china/islamics?
just how much does a woman in a high place offend you

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sorry, what substance were you expecting from an acceptance speech? The aim was to drum up support. Her attacks on Obama were superb - better than anything McCain has so far managed - and she simultaneously introduced herself as a feirce player.
It was the complete opposite of Obama's mastabatory, self-congratulatory style. I think that speech won back a massive slab of grumbling everyday Americans, and reaffirmed their patriotism. She knitted together every legit attack on Obama in a way no one else could so far - she roasted him, boy! She fuken rallied the fuken troops as they were fleeing!
Not bad for an unknown VP

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
A High Way Man said:
i wonder what the average % of election promises that are implemented/become law?

probably a low number.

My god... please... don't even go there.
The cold bitch sent her own son to the most pointless war thus far in the 21st century.
What makes you think she wont send everyone elses?

Making her commander and chief of the most powerful super power could be catastrophic. With Gordon Brown willing to suck a tit or two in hopes of some good rubbing off on himself, you have the grounds to the end of the world paved in that scenario.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Sam04u said:
Enteebee, maybe to you that speech was empty, hollow even. Because compared to his other speeches, this one was very different. In his latest speech, he sought out to remind everyone that "hey we have poor people in this country who don't have a dime to their name, and can't afford to go to the doctor", since you're not, or have never been in a position like that (I'm assuming) that part of the speech could even feel like filler to you.
Nah, that's not it you indignant jerk. It's more because he promised to (here we go) "rebuild our military to meet future conflicts, restore our moral standing, end the war in iraq, renew tough direct diplomacy, cut taxes, build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century, terrorism and nuclear proliferation, poverty and genocide, climate change and disease" just to begin.

Does that sound like trumped up crap or do you think there's REAL SUBSTANCE there?

A High Way Man said:
Yes because I think the president is pretty much just a figurehead and their people are mainly all behind the scenes... If you have a weak president it just means the advisors have more power.

uh i think the fact that they assumed picking palin would get the female bloc to vote for the mccain-palin ticket is more sexist than... doubting her credentials.
Oh so you don't think that voting blocs are considered by the democrats when they pick their running mates? There's nothing sexist in thinking that a woman in the whitehouse might interest women anymore than to say a black man in the whitehouse might interest black people is racist, it's true and it doesn't mean the groups are dumb.

Last edited:

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
jb_nc said:
just how much does a woman in a high place offend you
uh i think the fact that they assumed picking palin would get the female bloc to vote for the mccain-palin ticket is more sexist than... doubting her credentials.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
sam04u said:
My god... please... don't even go there.
The cold bitch sent her own son to the most pointless war thus far in the 21st century.
What makes you think she wont send everyone elses?

Making her commander and chief of the most powerful super power could be catastrophic. With Gordon Brown willing to suck a tit or two in hopes of some good rubbing off on himself, you have the grounds to the end of the world paved in that scenario.
The problem with that argument is that she has, debatably, more experience than Obama. I'd rather take the risk of McCain's death (his mumma is what, 100?)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Enteebee said:
Yes because I think the president is pretty much just a figurehead and their people are mainly all behind the scenes... If you have a weak president it just means the advisors have more power.
i dont think that works because the president just becomes a tragic comic figure and government stagnates... like...the one.. now

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Iron said:
The problem with that argument is that she has, debatably, more experience than Obama. I'd rather take the risk of McCain's death (his mumma is what, 100?)
haha yeah I've always thought a good response regarding the prospect of mccain's death is to point out that his mother has been out there stumping with him at around 100 years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)