2008 tax return thread (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I bought my laptop in June08, so can I claim it?

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
townie said:
by the way, on laptops, my dad says (so i could be wrong) that if you bought a laptop, you can claim it as a deduction, regardless of whether you use it for work or not, and you can claim 1 per year, well you could, this only applies to purchases BEFORE the budget

should prolly check that, but meh, wat he saud
As in deductions, that means for example if I were to earn $50,000 a year, and the laptop was to cost $2000, my taxable income would be $48,000?

With me, I've earned less than $6000 and I've also bought a laptop this year. Would I be able to claim it?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
As in deductions, that means for example if I were to earn $50,000 a year, and the laptop was to cost $2000, my taxable income would be $48,000?

With me, I've earned less than $6000 and I've also bought a laptop this year. Would I be able to claim it?
What would you achieve from claiming it? Pay less tax than the $0 you're paying now?

It looks like I'll have to pay tax, rather than get tax back this year :( The disadvantages of an ABN = gay.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
stazi said:
What would you achieve from claiming it? Pay less tax than the $0 you're paying now?

It looks like I'll have to pay tax, rather than get tax back this year :( The disadvantages of an ABN = gay.
Oh ok. I thought I may be able to get a rebate or something of the like.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
townie said:
by the way, on laptops, my dad says (so i could be wrong) that if you bought a laptop, you can claim it as a deduction, regardless of whether you use it for work or not, and you can claim 1 per year, well you could, this only applies to purchases BEFORE the budget

should prolly check that, but meh, wat he saud
Prior to the most recent budget announcement, one laptop per year was exempt from FBT (not income tax) providing it was used for business purposes.

The only income tax effect the purchase of a laptop has for an individual is the potential for depreciation over three years. But again the laptop is supposed to be for business purposes (not uni or personal use).

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
I earned less than 6000, but I still paid tax. Can you ask your mum what I have to do?

Thanks a lot!
You put in your tax thing online. Go to the ATO website, through e-tax. You can do it through an accountant put it will cost you. You will get ALL of it back since you earned under $6000.

HSC
milocole said:
Thanks for that, Im claiming laundry then, lol:rolleyes:

After all my shirts, laundry stuff, its getting close to $500 in deductions, and then like $700 tax, IM RICH, LOL

Oh ... im not sure abt the 500 u should have receipets for that u gotta check

but i now for sure its $150 laundry without reciepts.

spence

HSC
milocole said:
Can I claim:
-My Mcdonalds name badge that I bought (it was nearly $10:uhhuh: )
-2x Mcdonalds shirts
-2x Coles Shirts
-My Laptop that I bought for "editional purposes" lol:uhoh:
You have to buy Macca's shirts? Our store provides them and washes them for us

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
$229 this year, fair enough as i barely worked in the last 6 months before i quit my jerb (only like 4 hours a week).

I have about 2-3 months as a sole trader though, which i have to do myself. Since i'm still under the threshold i guess all i have to do is declare it, and since i was paid in full (no tax witheld), there's nothing to claim/pay back.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
回复: 2008 tax return thread

I've been reading from various sources, that it's possible to lodge a tax return without the actual PAYG payment summary? Can anyone clarify this with me?
I have my final payslip with all the information I need. I don't have anything to claim either. I'm going to do it though E-tax, but will they actually ask for a copy of my payment summary?

I've been reading that it's a legal requirement for employers to send out payment summaries before the 14th July, but the problem is that I'll be overseas by then for quite a while and I don't want to wait to come back to then lodge it and then have to wait again for my tax return to come back.

Anyone had previous experiences with this?

spence

HSC
Re: 回复: 2008 tax return thread

hopeles5ly said:
I've been reading from various sources, that it's possible to lodge a tax return without the actual PAYG payment summary? Can anyone clarify this with me?
I have my final payslip with all the information I need. I don't have anything to claim either. I'm going to do it though E-tax, but will they actually ask for a copy of my payment summary?

I've been reading that it's a legal requirement for employers to send out payment summaries before the 14th July, but the problem is that I'll be overseas by then for quite a while and I don't want to wait to come back to then lodge it and then have to wait again for my tax return to come back.

Anyone had previous experiences with this?
Your payment summary shouldn't be necessary, I'm pretty sure all you need is total income, total tax, and your employer's ABN

Evolution2006

HSC
Re: 回复: 2008 tax return thread

spence said:
Your payment summary shouldn't be necessary, I'm pretty sure all you need is total income, total tax, and your employer's ABN

i hope so because thats what i put in my tax return, btw when can we expect the return to come through

spence

HSC
Should take about 2 weeks. Got mine yesterday, $1000, heaps good especially as I was originally expecting like 300 or so

Evolution2006

HSC
spence said:
Should take about 2 weeks. Got mine yesterday, $1000, heaps good especially as I was originally expecting like 300 or so
btw how did u get yours early if i did mine on 2nd JUly will it be on the same day i did it or earlier

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Righteo.
Got to the "Tax Estimate" Final screen on etax, and it dosn't display my deductions on the total!

Why?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
milocole said:
Righteo.
Got to the "Tax Estimate" Final screen on etax, and it dosn't display my deductions on the total!

Why?
your deductions reduce whats known as your Taxable Income

if you look your taxable income will = Money earnt MINUS deductions

deductions dont reduce the tax you pay, just the income you have to pay it [tax] on

mitch179

HSC
Put mine in earlier today. Only getting $75 back which was the tax I paid. I didn't earn above $6000 so I wasn't able to get any of my deductions back. (i.e the $170 in SDA union fees!)

born2b

HSC
how do i claim last years tax lol?

i know you can but ive lost my last years group certificate...

any help guys?

ive worked at woolies to im gonna give them and ato a call tommorow lol
is there anything else i could do if they both dont work out?

cheers guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)