2009 HSC Performances - How did you go? (1 Viewer)

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Just wondering how everyone thinks they went.
The first lot of performances and musicology vivas were today. Our school's is tomorrow afternoon and I'm actually feeling really relaxed about my performance pieces and viva.
Also what do you play and what songs are you playing?
I play the piano and my pieces are:
- 1st Gnossienne by Erik Satie
- Theme from Schindler's List by John Williams
- La Valse d'Amelie by Yann Tiersen

jessiminica

HSC
Ours are a week today. I'm feeling pretty good about it, and as long as my first piece goes well, I should be fine... but if it doesn't, i'll get nervous and angsty and screw it all up :p

I play guiatar:
- Anonyme (anonymous from the 1700s, I think it was originally for lute. Pretty good, but a bit short, so it's my core :p)
- Smooth (Santana, I've gotten an 8-piece band together, so it sounds pretty awesome... when the singer doesn't forget lines)
- Funky Tonight (John Butler Trio, and I'm one-man-banding it. Got a stompbox and a loop pedal, it sounds awesome when I work it right. Just can't let the nerves take over :p)

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
my perfs are 24/9/09

white summer/black mountainside - jimmy page
impro. in Dsus4 - Me!
Ocean - John Butler

i will be fine as long as i make sure the guitar is sounding $1m

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm doing Music 2, and my performances are tomorrow! GAH! GAH!!!!!!

I'm singing...

'It Ain't Necessarily So' by George Gershwin
'Come away, Come away Death' by Gerald Finzi
'Father's Eyes' by Elena Kats-Chernin

..and i'm shitting myself.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
My performances are over, phew :D

I got put 8:30 in the morning first in the week (Monday)... so I suppose I was pretty much the first in the state to be examined. Examiners were nice, not unlike examiners from previous years, so I was pretty relaxed. However, the sight singing I got was way too high for me, I hit falsetto at least twice through... and too low an octave lower ==" Vocal range fail.

dotdot*love

HSC
I do music 1, play the piano, jsut finished my performance yerstday! It was awesome! The markers are very nice as well

Valse no. 14 in e minor - Chopin
June - tchaikovsky
Secret - Jay Chou (?)
Moments of Plastic Jubilation - Matthew Hudson

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
I do music 1, play the piano, jsut finished my performance yerstday! It was awesome! The markers are very nice as well

Valse no. 14 in e minor - Chopin
June - tchaikovsky
Secret - Jay Chou (?)
Moments of Plastic Jubilation - Matthew Hudson
Haha Jay Chou ftw :D

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
mine went alright. unfortunately i left the snare on the drum kit on during one of my solo performances, so it buzzed the whole way through :(.

i played
always with me always with you - joe satriani
paganini's 16th caprice
canon rock - jerryc
man. fuck snare drums. im assuming electric guitar?

i got mine this thursday. little did i know i have to tell them the actual time of my pieces. AND I IMPRO MY SONGS. damn hsc.

Erotic Cakes

HSC
I'm content with how I went, at least its over - 4 perf in music 1.

When do we found out who gets encore? I reckon I got a chance :)

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Ahh, do you actually have to apply for Encore, or is it chosen by the examiners alone?

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
the way my teacher explained it to me, you get asked to audition to encore based on your marks, then you do the audition tape and shortlisted blah blah blah. i MAY have a chance only because im from the country, play 12 string guitar, and do guitar percussion and all that two handed and harmonic stuff.

diamell

HSC
I'm pretty happy with how i went. I play classical guitar. My school unfortunately didnt offer music 2 or extension..
my pieces are:
Hika (In Memorium of Toru Takemitsu) - Leo Brouwer
Spain - Chick Corea (my arrangement for guitar and piano)
Tango En Skai - Dyens (a fun piece..a bit of a joke though)
Etude 7 - Villa Lobos

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
well i had mine today. EPIC FAIL. my songs are impro'd so sometimes they come off shit, and the time is different each time. BYE BYE ENCORE.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Haha it's pretty awesome that you can improv a whole song through. But I guess for something as important as the HSC, you might not want to take your chances and actually rehearse it? Maybe? :haha:

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
i think i didn't do well because.

a) apparently they deduct marks if your piece is +-10seconds from the given time. i have no idea how long i played for.
b) im pretty much happy with the first 2 pieces, but i messed Ocean up by not getting the 'flow' right.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
Haha it's pretty awesome that you can improv a whole song through. But I guess for something as important as the HSC, you might not want to take your chances and actually rehearse it? Maybe? :haha:

rehearse = no fun!

Bunno12

HSC
Does anyone know when they tell you your nominations? I heard that they tell you on the day? ...Can anyone clarify?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Do they do Music 2 first?

Anyway, I did my performances, and I think I did quite well- it was the best I'd done them. I got really good vibes from the examiners who were bright and cheery despite it being so early. So, overall, it all went really really well!!!!

zaneus

HSC
I had my exams yesterday. played Always with me always with you - Satch, YYZ - rush and Wither - Dream Theater (vocal melody played on guitar) all on guitar, plus my Viva. I got band 6's in the trials for it and i feel i did better in the actual exam yesterday :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)