2009 Preliminary Yearlies Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

saberbladexx

HSC
re: Preliminary Yearlies Discussion Thread

I just got some of my exam results back, and all i can say is i'm glad its prelim and not the actual HSC, i think i needed this setback and its given me the motivation to study hard and every day in the HSC to get the marks i know i deserve.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

I did English Paper 1 today... Wasn't too bad... I actually quite liked it (although the comprehension short answer section was a little odd :S).

Physics in the arvo tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:

Paradox.101

HSC

5/8 exams done... I'm all burnt out already!
Really can't be stuffed anymore.

I just got some of my exam results back, and all i can say is i'm glad its prelim and not the actual HSC, i think i needed this setback and its given me the motivation to study hard and every day in the HSC to get the marks i know i deserve.
What did you end up getting? :eek:

speedofsound

HSC

we had such a random question for our comparative study module today - 'when compared, how do the representations of your chosen texts sustain interest in the concept of the American Dream?' - what does that even mean???

Klutsov

HSC

Had 2U maths today. Pretty easy I thought, though it took me almost 2 hours to complete it.

Hope I got around 90+ percent

Dilekk

HSC

Ugh, I hate exams, im studying for english right now, i'd rather maths cause its more justified and its either right or wrong.

????? WHAT types of creative reponses are there?? other than stories.?

pandaaMONIA

HSC

English Extension today.
preeettyyy easy.
Tomorrow is Society and Culture.

Been faced with family telling me we're moving to Queensland.
I don't want to do the Queensland representation of the HSC.

:| erugh.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A

we had such a random question for our comparative study module today - 'when compared, how do the representations of your chosen texts sustain interest in the concept of the American Dream?' - what does that even mean???
nothing, like most english questions.
i think they're getting at how these texts market the 'american dream', as in, how have these texts contributed to the whole fanfare about the 'american dream'
shit question imo, how did you attack it?

speedofsound

HSC

nothing, like most english questions.
i think they're getting at how these texts market the 'american dream', as in, how have these texts contributed to the whole fanfare about the 'american dream'
shit question imo, how did you attack it?
yeah that's kind of how i saw it - we've been focusing on the corruption of the American Dream, so i approached it as: in both texts the American Dream is shown to be corrupt; it is this unconventional approach to the concept of the Dream that sustains interest, which is thus demonstrated through various dramatic and cinematic techniques etc. i've got absolutely no idea if i did it right, but that's seems like what most people were doing.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A

yeah that's kind of how i saw it - we've been focusing on the corruption of the American Dream, so i approached it as: in both texts the American Dream is shown to be corrupt; it is this unconventional approach to the concept of the Dream that sustains interest, which is thus demonstrated through various dramatic and cinematic techniques etc. i've got absolutely no idea if i did it right, but that's seems like what most people were doing.
ooh, what texts have you done?
adv english has been the biggest wank this year, our exam was so easy/boring.

i have maths tomorrow, who cares. :)

speedofsound

HSC

ooh, what texts have you done?
adv english has been the biggest wank this year, our exam was so easy/boring.

i have maths tomorrow, who cares. :)
for the American Dream we did Arthur Miller's play All My Sons and the film "American Beauty", which was actually one of the best movies ever and probably the best text i've done in an English class. i didn't find the essay itself too hard, doing a practice essay beforehand really did help.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A

for the American Dream we did Arthur Miller's play All My Sons and the film "American Beauty", which was actually one of the best movies ever and probably the best text i've done in an English class. i didn't find the essay itself too hard, doing a practice essay beforehand really did help.
fucking love american beauty!

HSC

Ugh, I hate exams, im studying for english right now, i'd rather maths cause its more justified and its either right or wrong.

????? WHAT types of creative reponses are there?? other than stories.?
feature article
newspaper article
poem (although its rare)
script
interview

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

I'm studying for Maths atm. I hope I can ace this exam

duckcowhybrid

HSC

Good luck! Will extension courses be based on yearly results?
Only for MX2, for the rest all it requires is HT approval where the Head Teacher sits down with the Student and talks to them about the Subject and if they think you can do it based on your marks etc you're in. For Maths it's based on top 4classes, which is decided through Half Yearly/Yearly marks in 2U/3U, work ethic and teachers comments. The last two tend to be lumped together. It's nroamlly top 96-100 based on last 4 years (24-25/class). Maths is the biggie, the others if you apply you tend to get in, unless you are crap at the subject (e.g. someone coming 150th in 2U/3U English wont get 4U English, but someone coming 90th will even if someone coming 50th doesn't want it.)

jennaa

HSC

mine started today,
had business, it wasnt to bad actually.
english paper 1 and legal studies tomorrow
general maths and society and culture wednesday
advanced english and community and family studies thursday
and religion friday

defiantly should have studied haha

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

Only for MX2, for the rest all it requires is HT approval where the Head Teacher sits down with the Student and talks to them about the Subject and if they think you can do it based on your marks etc you're in. For Maths it's based on top 4classes, which is decided through Half Yearly/Yearly marks in 2U/3U, work ethic and teachers comments. The last two tend to be lumped together. It's nroamlly top 96-100 based on last 4 years (24-25/class). Maths is the biggie, the others if you apply you tend to get in, unless you are crap at the subject (e.g. someone coming 150th in 2U/3U English wont get 4U English, but someone coming 90th will even if someone coming 50th doesn't want it.)
Maths tends to always be a biggie. At my school, a similar thing occurs. For English Extension 2, anyone who does English Extension 1 and isn't failing it (like D grades) gets accepted. for maths on the other hand, only top 30-40 are accepted.
Good luck. I hope you get into Maths Ext 2. :)

gella

HSC

modern tomorrow
have to get 80%+ to be accepted into ext hist
ehhhhhhhhh

NewiJapper

HSC

We started ours today. My timetable isnt the best but it could be worse.

Monday - English paper 1
Tuesday - Chemistry
Wednesday -Maths
Thursday- English paper 2
Friday - Japanese written

*next week*
Monday - Drama(too easy) and Biology
Wednesday - Japanese speaking.

then off for the rest of the term woo :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)