2009 UMAT - How did it go? (1 Viewer)

trailblazer

HSC
My deepest apologies citizen Timothy. I am afraid that today's polo game against the highly fancied English Schoolboys touring polo team has taken the edge off my usually flawless cognitive abilities. It was hard to hold our lead as the exceptionally bred English polo-ponies showed their true stamina going into the 7th chukka, but we Australians prevailed by a goal, and even enjoyed a delightful chat with poms after the match, covering such topics as epistemology, the history of long distance pigeon racing, and baroque harp music.
ATAR aim: -99.95i^2
You Sir, have made my day.

bradpitt

HSC
My deepest apologies citizen Timothy. I am afraid that today's polo game against the highly fancied English Schoolboys touring polo team has taken the edge off my usually flawless cognitive abilities. It was hard to hold our lead as the exceptionally bred English polo-ponies showed their true stamina going into the 7th chukka, but we Australians prevailed by a goal, and even enjoyed a delightful chat with poms after the match, covering such topics as epistemology, the history of long distance pigeon racing, and baroque harp music.
ATAR aim: -99.95i^2
Your Honour The Wanker stop tossing Up on this forum with your Genetic BS. You know you have XXY chromosomes.Your Highness piss off from this crap. My Lord the lonliest piece of crapoli on the planet Fuck the Shut Up.

truestar92

HSC
i actually found section 1 and 2 easy but section 3 was way too difficult for my liking that or i just cant see whats infront of me! i'm hoping to have gotten a good score
what ever happens, happens
but i dont fancy re-doing it next year

trailblazer

HSC
Your Honour The Wanker stop tossing Up on this forum with your Genetic BS. You know you have XXY chromosomes.Your Highness piss off from this crap. My Lord the lonliest piece of crapoli on the planet Fuck the Shut Up.
Baited

brunx

HSC
Please Brad, I know you are being run off your feet with all your humanitarian efforts in third-world countries, but there is no need to get testy about it. You may be one of the 'sexiest men on earth' as they say, but I would deduce that two academy award nominations but NO wins has left a little to be desired. When's Ocean's 14 coming out?
ATAR aim: number of Brad Pitt Academy Awards plus 99.95

simplyyme

HSC
man when i walked into the test center i was like oh crap when i saw the number of people inside
i was so nervous that is was going to be so hard ! but when i did it i was easier than i expected it to be ! i was so proud of myself that i actually managed finished every section within the time limit :D :D

section 1 was easier than i expected it to be, the problem solving ones weren't that hard, but that one question with the people waiting in line with the balls above the graph was confusing o_o
section 2 was the easiest out the whole lot for me :D finished with almost 10 mins left so i got to double check the questions i skipped :)
and section 3 took the longest for me, it wasn't that hard but i had to guess like 5 of the questions, pick the freaking middle is a bitch =="

carina.c

HSC
OH MY GOD!
That was UNBELIEVABLY easy. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
haha i couldnt get over it! Almost felt asleep at the end, my hand was going off on its own. Finnished in like 12 and a half minutes..
I'll be honest, before I went in I was worried, I mean its so important, and like yeah aced it.

How did everyone else go?

raniya

HSC
found all rite i gueslll like
sec1 was 22 much calculations... n finished jst in timeeeee but it was ovrall easier dan the medentry Qs have 2 agreeee

sec 2 was aiight i guess but da options were 222222 closeee

sec 3 was da 1 liked da most used da stuffs dat f2f gave me.. like mapping 2/3 rule n all dose stuff

emmcyclopedia

HSC
I hated the stupid stupid Spring/Summer flower blooming vs. decade graph.
I had 3 minutes left so I didn't even bother reading the information properly, fml. LOL.

Say--what?
I don't remember a question like that. :eek:

that graph was WEIRD! its was the LAST thing i wanted to read with like 5 mins left or something!!

card question wasn't in my paper either??

rheyn

HSC
Uhmm, there were 6 cards. Two of them were chosen by some guy. The objective of the game is to choose the most pairs successfully, and consecutively. If you dont pick a matching pair, your partner gets a turn.

Considering that the guy's got the first pair right, and the second wrong, his partner already knows what the cards (that were wrong were). So she can choose one of the other two, not knowing what it is, and then match it up. Two turns, and she wins. But there were two answers, I think A that said that she wins, and D that said, it depends what she chooses.

And I thought uhmm, the objective is to win. She should win... but I don't know.

Threw me off.
I'm pretty sure the answer was "Audrey wins" because one of the rules of the game was that if you turn over a card and recognise where the pair is, then you must choose the pair on your second flip (this was explicitly specified in the question)

lol thats the question that i'm thinking, then one where there were 3 things, I,II,III

i put one of either II or III, but i dont remember the question.
I think the question was: if element I is active in this interval then which of the following is necessarily true:

My answer: Element II and III must be active in the next interval

Reasoning: because the conditions state that II and III will be active in the next interval if it receives a signal from either of the other two elements. When element I is active in this interval then it will transmit a signal to the other two elements, hence rendering them active in the next interval.

What did people put for the dust mite experiment question? It was along the lines of: there are three groups; "group 3" sleeps in a bed with no dustmite proof covers and blankets (there is contact with dus mites), "group 1" sleeps in a bed with special covers and blankets that "protect against" dust mites . The second group slept in a bed with cover and blankets but they were not dust mite proof, I can't remember if it said these placebo covers prevented or did not prevent contact with dustmites.

Anyway the placebo group (group 2) thought they were getting the same cover and blankets as group 1. Results: Group 1 and 2 experience 15% less reactions to dust mites that night.

Question: These results suggest that reactions to dust mites are affected by:
a) only the placebo effect
b) only the placebo and prevention of contact with dust mites
c)?
d)?

I put A because I thought the question said the placebo sheets did not prevent contact with dust mites (which would make sense if they were the placebo group). But my friend says the question said the placebo sheets weren't dust mite proof but did prevent contact with dust mites.

Does anyone remember what the question said?

Thanks

~infinity~

HSC
it was relatively easy.. the 2nd and 3rd sections were the easiest..especially section 2..section 1 was ok...:)

the18

HSC
My answer: Element II and III must be active in the next interval

Reasoning: because the conditions state that II and III will be active in the next interval if it receives a signal from either of the other two elements. When element I is active in this interval then it will transmit a signal to the other two elements, hence rendering them active in the next interval.
I put either II or III. Like Timothy said, I can't remember the question. But im pretty sure other people ive talked to said either II or III. but you could be right. and i think i put "all 3" in the next one.

And yes, I put placebo only effect.

And did people get a block pattern question? The one they gave you some blocks and you had to decide which numbers describe which properties then gave you an AERIAL view of another set of blocks.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I put either II or III. Like Timothy said, I can't remember the question. But im pretty sure other people ive talked to said either II or III. but you could be right.

And yes, I put placebo only effect.

And did people get a block pattern question? The one they gave you some blocks and you had to decide which numbers describe which properties then gave you an AERIAL view of another set of blocks.
didn't get that question. and exactly the same as me, i dont remember the question but i remember that i reasoned with myself that the answer was either II or III and there was some case (dont remember the question) that made this the correct answer and not both II and III

the18

HSC
didn't get that question. and exactly the same as me, i dont remember the question but i remember that i reasoned with myself that the answer was either II or III and there was some case (dont remember the question) that made this the correct answer and not both II and III
yeah i can vaguely remember it had something to do with interval 1 being activated when only one preceding it is activated.

hmm, the block question.... it seems only some people got it. maybe a trial question.

Last edited:

rheyn

HSC
i dont remember the question but i remember that i reasoned with myself that the answer was either II or III and there was some case (dont remember the question) that made this the correct answer and not both II and III
What other possible scenario is there? (keeping in mind that an element does not necessarily have to become inactive on the next interval)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
What other possible scenario is there? (keeping in mind that an element does not necessarily have to become inactive on the next interval)
hmm, i slightly remember the question now.

But i think we're both wrong. =(
The question was like, what will happen in the next interval if element I is active.

lets take some cases if I and II are active, then only II will be active in the next one.
similarly if I and III are active, only III will be active in the next interval.
so, you're answer is wrong.

but if all I, II, III are active, then only I will be active in the next interval, so my answer is wrong too.

rheyn

HSC
hmm, i slightly remember the question now.

But i think we're both wrong. =(
The question was like, what will happen in the next interval if element I is active.

lets take some cases if I and II are active, then only II will be active in the next one.
similarly if I and III are active, only III will be active in the next interval.
so, you're answer is wrong.

but if all I, II, III are active, then only I will be active in the next interval, so my answer is wrong too.
I don't follow...

If I and II are active ... then in the next interval element II and III are active because right now, III is receiving signals from both II and I. II is also receiving a signal from I so it will be active in the next interval as well.

similarly if I and III are active, ... then III and II will be active next, because right now, II and III are receiving signals from I therefore they will be active in the next interval (by one of the rules set by the question: if II or III receive a signal from either of the other two elements they will be active in the next interval)

rheyn

HSC
lol thanks for your kind words Ajeet. You know, it's your ability to encourage and support that really makes you an excellent staffie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)