• Liberal / National Coalition

Votes: 101 50.0%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

will90211

HSC
Re: 2013 Australian Federal election

The timing of it might feel frustrating but in terms of affecting a final election result now is really no better or worse than any other time notwithstanding if it had happened on the eve of the election which would have been diabolical. So it could be worse, imagine if she'd called a snap election yesterday.
Agreed. It could of been much, much worse. However the effects of this will carry on to the all out assault during the phoney campaign - Abbott will target her trustability. It will still carry some sway.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

You'll eat those words this time next year if abbot gets in
I really won't though. The troll value that Abbot has far exceeds any damage he could do. He could sell us to China and it would only add to his value.

I truly believe that Labor is a terrible group and the only person that has ever come close to convincing me otherwise is Lentern

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

You'll eat those words this time next year if abbot gets in
"You guys will be sorry when there's less refugees coming to Australia!!!"

"You guys will be sorry when the entirely negligible reduction in Australian carbon emissions is reversed!"

Seriously though, what exactly are you worried about? People like you act like he's an radical, ideological nutjob who's going to pass all kinds of insane legislation.

Which is just dumb, because in reality he's going to be a tremendously boring and predictable leader.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
"You guys will be sorry when there's less refugees coming to Australia!!!"

"You guys will be sorry when the entirely negligible reduction in Australian carbon emissions is reversed!"

Seriously though, what exactly are you worried about? People like you act like he's an radical, ideological nutjob who's going to pass all kinds of insane legislation.

Which is just dumb, because in reality he's going to be a tremendously boring and predictable leader.
I like refugees
I like the carbon tax
I like the mining tax
I like the NBN
I like Gonski
I like the NDIS
I like atheist leaders
I like the current IR system
I like rich people getting taxed heaps
Most of all, I like my job

All of which will be gone under Abbot

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

I like refugees
I like the carbon tax
I like the mining tax
I like the NBN
I like Gonski
I like the NDIS
I like atheist leaders
Sorry...why does that mean that WE'LL be sorry?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

I like refugees
Why?

I like the carbon tax

You like hurting australia's economic competitiveness without producing any tangible benefits?

I like the mining tax
Me, too, because it's not even making any money.

I like atheist leaders
Thats really fucking lame. Are you a 14-year old or something?

The current IR system where it is extremely difficult to fire anyone, and so employers are less willing to hire people leading to less competition for labour?

You like money being given to bogans to buy flat-screen TVs and healthcare after a lifetime of stuffing themsleves with junk food and alcohol, instead of being invested and hence being used to grow the economy.

Welfare whore.

bahahah you are fucking nuts if you believe that

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Out of curiosity Lolsmith how do you feel about Labor's sister parties overseas? In particularl Blair's New Labour in which the parliamentary party was significantly more distanced from the Trade Unions than out Gillard's Labor government here.
I honestly don't know that much about them. Reading over the Wikipedia article, it is pretty upsetting that it took until 1994 for a prominent political party to "endorse market economics". I'm unsure whether they actually did this, but if Dan Hannan is anything to go by, they didn't. Instead of embracing the market, they expanded the state. This in and of itself is not purely undesirable, but whilst the private sector is contracting, I doubt it is prudent economic management to increase your obligations while your contributors dwindle. Would you be able to tell me if they are comparable to the grubby Labor we have here? Do they imprison children indefinitely if they don't arrive on a plane? Did they expand middle class welfare to obscene levels where virtually every family is given free money just because? Have they created horrible and drab ministers that are around to police fun in the interest of 'health' (revenue)? Do they punish their high earning industries purely because they make more money? Are they attempting (or I guess supporting is a better way to put it since Cameron's coalition has basically enshrined the right to not be offended by sending people for writing mean things on twitter to gaol) to destroy free speech?

On a more general level, being beholden to only your constituents and minimising potential corruption and cronyism is positive, but I can't really say whether this actually occurred in either Britain or New Labour. Keep in mind I was only born the year before Blair was made Labour leader.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

I like refugees
I like the carbon tax
I like the mining tax
I like the NBN
I like Gonski
I like the NDIS
I like atheist leaders

10/10 troll but if you sincerely believe this, you're seriously overestimating the potency of Tony Abbott

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not? I see no reason to dislike them
You like hurting australia's economic competitiveness without producing any tangible benefits?
Yes, I see little reason to protect an economy which won't exist when we're meters under water

I actually doubt it isn't, but I agree it should raise more and the concept applied to more businesses.

The current IR system where it is extremely difficult to fire anyone, and so employers are less willing to hire people leading to less competition for labour?
That's the one, though I disagree with the second part.

You like money being given to bogans to buy flat-screen TVs and healthcare after a lifetime of stuffing themsleves with junk food and alcohol, instead of being invested and hence being used to grow the economy.
I do indeed

Welfare whore.
K.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
10/10 troll but if you sincerely believe this, you're seriously overestimating the potency of Tony Abbott
Not trolling, perhaps exaggerating, however like every other dumb ass Australian I'm going to put my own interests first and vote for the party that won't leave me unemployed.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

lol the Liberal Party is not going to downsize the state in any serious way

what monster has told you otherwise and why did you believe them

will90211

HSC

Oh dear, dear Townie. NIDS has bipartisan support. I'm sure it will be implemented in part during an abbott tenure.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

lol the Liberal Party is not going to downsize the state in any serious way

what monster has told you otherwise and why did you believe them
A job in the public sector would totally be safer with a Liberal government.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

you guys srsly

1) Townie is right to be fearful for his job if a coalition government gets in. Liberals don't -always- slash public sector jobs, but Abbott has promised to do so. I can't comment on the merits of Townie's job or his prospects come a coalition victory, but he obviously has a legitimate concern for his ongoing employment. I guarantee if anyone here's career was directly related to the outcome of the upcoming election, you would feel the same way.

2) The carbon tax is a non-issue, and if any of you would go beyond using it as a partisan buzzword you'd know that, given the current economic doldrums in Europe, come the transition to the ETS in 2015-16 the price of carbon permits will probably be much cheaper. Also, the carbon tax was in part used to increase the tax free threshold; this is the biggest tax reform since the GST was introduced in 2000. A coalition government will either have to make up the gap, either by spending cuts elsewhere or reducing the tax free threshold (protip: they won't do that). But more importantly, it's a fuckload better than the Coalition's "Direct Action Plan". Instead of an international, market-based permit system that raises revenue and makes carbon producers (read: carbon consumers) pay for their emissions and alters the relative cost of alternative energies, we'll have a massive program of government spending into particular industries and companies (no chance for pork barrel or corruption or anything there!) and cross our fingers that they actually reduce their emissions. It's a terrible plan, and we will be all be left worse off by it vis a vis the carbon ETS.

3) The mining tax is a great policy. Listen Lolsmith, I understand that this looks like BIG GUVAMINT at work and I do love your rhetoric, but it's sound policy for so many reasons. Also, while the mining tax isn't making any money right now, it will be raking in a fair amount in the next few years when China picks up again (it will)

at the same time i don't really care if abbott gets in because i don't think it'll be anywhere near as bad as his detractors might think (except for repealing the carbon tax, repealing the mining tax, putting in his own way more shitty parental leave scheme). also, if he's unpopular enough, it sets the stage for a wets leadership challenge maybe probably not

oh and gonski/new education funding regime is good too

Last edited:

will90211

HSC

Seriously, can this week can get any worse for Labor? Chris Evans will resign tomorrow, forcing a cabinet reshuffle. Poor, poor Labor.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously, can this week can get any worse for Labor? Chris Evans will resign tomorrow, forcing a cabinet reshuffle. Poor, poor Labor.
Don't think it's that big a deal, esp if the reasons for his departure are reported correctly. A reshuffle could actually be good and give momentum, also the press loves a reshuffle and if time correctly could distract from Thompson

will90211

HSC

Yep Roxon and Evans have quit. Peter from sky news reported it. Sorry to blow your theory out of the water townie but this looks to be the start of something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)